GPG error: http://repos.rcn-ee.net

Karteek YV

Apr 19, 2015, 6:09:13 AM4/19/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

when I update using 'apt-get update', I got the following error,

W: GPG error: http://repos.rcn-ee.net trusty InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY D284E608A4C46402

I've tried following command given in some forum
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key D284E608A4C46402

the output is as follows

Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --homedir /tmp/tmp.YlaPkjE1g4 --no-auto-check-trustdb --trust-model always --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key D284E608A4C46402
gpg: requesting key A4C46402 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpgkeys: key D284E608A4C46402 not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

and I've tried
 gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key D284E608A4C46402

the output is
gpg: requesting key A4C46402 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpgkeys: key D284E608A4C46402 not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

and still I get the GPG error same as above, can anyone suggest me a solution?

Robert Nelson

Apr 19, 2015, 12:27:29 PM4/19/15
to Beagle Board
sudo apt-get install rcn-ee-archive-keyring

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Karteek YV

Apr 19, 2015, 2:37:07 PM4/19/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
thanks Robert, that worked like charm.

stephen...@gmail.com

May 8, 2015, 3:45:18 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I try to run "sudo apt-get install rcn-ee-archive-keyring" and I get a 404 not found error pointing at the following url:

Robert Nelson

May 8, 2015, 3:49:46 PM5/8/15
to Beagle Board
Run:

sudo apt-get update first...

I just updated the keyring for Debian Stretch & Ubuntu Wily this week..

Stephen Painton

May 8, 2015, 4:50:56 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I did a sudo apt-get update first and it told me it couldn't get you your repos which is why I googled the error and found the "sudo apt-get install rcn-ee-archieve-keyring".
It is a catch 22 for me =(

Robert Nelson

May 8, 2015, 5:09:08 PM5/8/15
to Beagle Board
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Stephen Painton
<stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did a sudo apt-get update first and it told me it couldn't get you your
> repos which is why I googled the error and found the "sudo apt-get install
> rcn-ee-archieve-keyring".
> It is a catch 22 for me =(

http://rcn-ee.com/repos/ubuntu/pool/main/r/rcn-ee-archive-keyring/

William Hermans

May 8, 2015, 5:22:21 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
hah, sorry Robert if I wasnt entrenched in my own little world right now, I would have picked picked this up for you.

When it rains . . .

Robert Nelson

May 8, 2015, 5:26:01 PM5/8/15
to Beagle Board
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hah, sorry Robert if I wasnt entrenched in my own little world right now, I
> would have picked picked this up for you.
>
> When it rains . . .

Just can't wait for July when that old 1 year gpg key expires.. ;)

The final pieces for the merge over are in the repo. (i've been
shipping both keys since February in that package)

So we will see in the next month or two, how many people don't run
'apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade'...

The good news, the replacement key doesn't expire...

Stephen Painton

May 8, 2015, 7:29:45 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I hate to sound stupid, but I am pretty new to this this and I don't know what to do with all of the files on the webpage let alone which one to choose.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

William Hermans

May 8, 2015, 7:35:42 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
debian@beaglebone:~$ wget http://rcn-ee.com/repos/debian/pool/main/r/rcn-ee-archive-keyring/rcn-ee-archive-keyring_2015.05.06~bpo70+20150506+1_all.deb

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo dpkg -i rcn*.deb

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get update && upgrade

Those 3 commands should fix you up.

William Hermans

May 8, 2015, 7:38:45 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Also, since you mentioned you're new you should change your root and debian passwords. To do this . . .

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo passwd debian
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully

First is for root, second is for the debian user.

William Hermans

May 8, 2015, 7:42:46 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Sorry this is slightly wrong:

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get update && upgrade

should be . . .

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Doing like 500 different things all at once here. . .

William Hermans

May 8, 2015, 7:49:15 PM5/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
pffft . . . I normally do each command on a separate line . . .

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get update

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade

But can be done all on one line as such.

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

petr...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2015, 9:03:42 AM11/9/15
to BeagleBoard
Downloading the rcn-ee-archive-keyring package over http and blindly installing the key is a bad idea. Someone could include an extra key that he controls and then have the ability to mount a successful MiTM attack to any package installation.

I just uploaded the key to the ubuntu keyserver, and it will soon propagate to all the other major ones. http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xD284E608A4C46402&fingerprint=on

The original command works fine now `apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key D284E608A4C46402`