Supporting Ubuntu Core on BBB in the long term

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Dec 18, 2016, 1:38:36 PM12/18/16
to BeagleBoard
Hi there,

I am having a conversation with the Ubuntu Core community to figure out how to get BBB supported in the long run. I am posting the thread link here in case anyone is interested in this as well

Robert Nelson

Dec 18, 2016, 2:24:34 PM12/18/16
to Beagle Board
Dealing with Canonical on anything long run requires $...

They rely on $ from support requests, by having this vibrant
self-sufficient community, that blows there whole profit opportunity.

In the past Canonical has talked to us before about a special Blessed
BeagleBone image.. BUT they wanted "us" to support "it"... Each time
I've said No, if you want "our" support on anything, you have to have
a ubuntu developer helping users in our forum..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

evilwulfie

Dec 18, 2016, 2:25:52 PM12/18/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Good reasons to stick with Debian i would say.

William Hermans

Dec 18, 2016, 2:53:24 PM12/18/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind wanting to run Ubuntu on the Beaglebone hardware. Doing so would present all sort of problems for the end user attempting to replicate what others do with this platform using Debian. Also, while this hardware platform *can* run a desktop environment. It's not really well suited to do so. The experience would be incredibly slow, and potentially problematic.

Now, running Ubuntu on a Beagleboard X15 would probably make for an excellent experience. But we're talking 4x the system memory, with a multi core processor that is much faster.

Additionally, if one wants to run Ubuntu CLI( command line interface only ), then one needs to understand that there would really be no benefit compared to Debian. In fact, as mentioned above. Imposing such a "restriction" on yourself would be potentially very problematic. The only beneficial difference here would be Ubuntu's different packages, which may, or may not be newer in nature. For the beaglebone hardware however, this is largely if not completely moot, and unnecessary.

The money thing I get though. They're just wanting their developers to get paid. Which as a developer myself, I like to get paid too. However, in this case where we're talking armhf as the platform ABI. I'm not sure why they would want more money for something they're already doing for the rPI, and multiple other platforms. Maybe they're talking specifically about the beaglebone hardware abstraction . . . but seriously. Everything the beaglebone has in hardware is already supported, Otherwise those who are using older versions of Ubuntu successfully, would not be so successful.

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Dec 18, 2016, 3:00:58 PM12/18/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Noted your comments. In case it isn't clear, I am referring to Ubuntu Core[1], not Ubuntu. My use case, I am looking at deploying BBB as IoT gateway devices and I am assessing Ubuntu Core as a distro of choice for IoT use case. Thanks.

-- Luther

[1] https://www.ubuntu.com/core
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORoQp0giYr9z8%2B3mHcb%3D2nwVseLZ9vssjmHermTZ_gMnPg%40mail.gmail.com.

William Hermans

Dec 18, 2016, 3:04:47 PM12/18/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 1:00 PM, 'Luther Goh Lu Feng' via BeagleBoard <beagl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Noted your comments. In case it isn't clear, I am referring to Ubuntu Core[1], not Ubuntu. My use case, I am looking at deploying BBB as IoT gateway devices and I am assessing Ubuntu Core as a distro of choice for IoT use case. Thanks.

-- Luther

[1] https://www.ubuntu.com/core

It's still Ubuntu. Just a minimal version of.

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Dec 18, 2016, 10:37:03 PM12/18/16
to BeagleBoard
I am looking at "containerised operating systems"[1]. At a cursory glance, Project Atomic and CoreOS didn't seem to have BBB images.I found community Ubuntu Core images for BBB, and that's why I am evaluating it for use now.

If there are any other choices out there, I will be happy to consider debian based alternatives that are containerised out of the box. Thanks.

-- Luther

Luther Lu Feng Goh

Dec 19, 2016, 8:48:53 AM12/19/16
to BeagleBoard

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 4:04:47 AM UTC+8, William Hermans wrote:
I was actually looking for a "containerised operating system"[1]. And I went with Ubuntu Core as there seemed to be ready community images. At least based on a cursory search, there doesnt seemed to be a known way to run CoreOS and Project Atomic on the BBB. I will be happy to consider any containerised debian based alternatives that I am unaware about. Thanks.

-- Luther

John Syne

Dec 19, 2016, 7:14:32 PM12/19/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
So my reading of Ubuntu Core, it the containerized system is based on snaps, which are also available on Debian.

Regards,
John

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Dec 19, 2016, 9:31:28 PM12/19/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes you are right that snap is available on Debian. But not only Debian but also other "classical" Linux installs.

However, the difference between such snap classical installs and Ubuntu Core is that Ubuntu Core containerised the kernel, minimal OS and applications, but the earlier only containerised applications. Thanks.

-- Luther
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/FEE2C8DE-5180-4D5C-9466-6913A6A198B9%40gmail.com.

lorriane...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2016, 2:04:04 AM12/20/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Supporting Ubuntu Core on BBB in the long term
To: beagl...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2016, 2:14 AM
14 iebr - Se fonde -a Societatea drumurilor de fier din Romji ia care preia drepturile si datoriile conso'tiu'ui Stroussberg 7 19 apr - Modificarea legii tocmelilor agricole 13 25 sept - Inaugurarea Garii de Nord din Bucuresti 12 oct infiintarea Universitatii d>n Ouj1872

William Hermans

Dec 20, 2016, 4:13:14 PM12/20/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
snapd on Debian requires sid( unstable ). So would not work with any of the official images, unless back ported.

There are many ways to achieve the same end goal. Involving chroot, BSD like jails, etc. The idea of containerized apps has actually been around a long time, and probably started originally with Solaris. Debian has also picked up a lot of Solaris-isms in the past such as zfs, zraid, etc. So it is possible that Debian also picked up the original concept of Solaris containers. But I'm not sure.

One of the things that throws me off this whole Ubuntu core thing is that first, It's Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is Canonical. Second, it requires "registration" online which I think is absolutely unnecessary and potentially insecure. With databases being cracked, and hacked all the time. Additionally, and I am not 100% sure of this. But it seems that Canonical s idea of monitizing Ubuntu has crept into Ubuntu core. e.g. you search for something on the local system, and the system feeds you adverts back from the internet as well . . . which is stupid, and crazy.

By the way, the Linux kernel is, or can be thought of as a single executable. So it would not be impossible to containerize the kernel as well. Usually, this is done for debugging purposes, and it may not be possible to abstract out the hardware properly. However, I think in this case. Personally, I would do something like a chroot jail snap . . . but that's just me.

 To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/8105de60-8740-41e2-8f21-43fdd5d34e8f%40googlegroups.com.

 Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

 from it, send an email to beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.