Beagle Board not working after all this steps. What could I be missing?

Dennis Muthuri

Sep 24, 2016, 9:29:28 AM9/24/16
to BeagleBoard
Hi people,

I'm new to working with the Beagle Board and the first time experience setting it up isn't encouraging.

I'm running a MacOSX El Capitan version 10.11.16 on an early 2015 Mac book. So far I have followed the instructions on the getting started webpage for the BeagleBoard and installed the drivers listed in this page http://www.feverlabs.org/2016/05/beaglebone-black-ssh-over-usb-on-mac-osx-el-capitan/ but to no avail.

I still can't connect to the address http://192.168.7.2on the browser and sshing into it isn't possible.

The board is picked up as AM335x USB in the network settings in OSX as seen in the screenshot below:

Another blog I visited suggested I enter DHCP manually and setting it to 192.168.7.2 to solve the self-assigned ip issue. This makes AM335x USB turn green and say connected, but when you attempt to visit the ip on the browser it fails and sshing doesn't work either.

I'd like the community to help me understand what I'm doing wrong and if I've missed anything.

Thanks in Advance.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 24, 2016, 10:09:08 AM9/24/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 06:29:28 -0700 (PDT), Dennis Muthuri
<muthur...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>Hi people,
>
>I'm new to working with the Beagle Board and the first time experience
>setting it up isn't encouraging.

Slightly mis-leading description... Beagle BOARD is the design company
AND the name for the larger boards... You are using instructions for the
smaller Beagle BONE Black.

>I'd like the community to help me understand what I'm doing wrong and if
>I've missed anything.

Do you have a Cat-5 (ethernet) cable connected to some router? I've
only managed to get the USB connection working (from Windows) on the
initial purchase... Since then I've used a CAT-5 cable to my router --
But... I think in my case the problem is that the Cat-5 connection takes
priority, so the server daemons are listening to it, not the USB.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Dennis Muthuri

Sep 24, 2016, 10:13:39 AM9/24/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Dennis Lee Bieber,

Thank you for the correction.

I’m connecting it to the Mac Book through USB. My laptop requires a thunderbird adapter to allow ethernet as it doesn’t have a native ethernet port.

Regards.

Dennis Muthuri Mburugu
Skype: dennis.muthuri | Tel: +(254)714590654

John Syne

Sep 24, 2016, 4:17:54 PM9/24/16
to Beagle Board
I think you meant Thunderbolt adapter. I use a USB3 to Ethernet adapter on my MacBook Pro and it works fine:

Regards,
John

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/925081BB-77EB-429E-B744-5C3E32198315%40gmail.com.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 24, 2016, 4:55:33 PM9/24/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:13:23 +0300, Dennis Muthuri
<muthur...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>I’m connecting it to the Mac Book through USB. My laptop requires a thunderbird adapter to allow ethernet as it doesn’t have a native ethernet port.

Well -- that kills my only idea: that you had an Ethernet connection on
the BBB in parallel with the USB and it was taking precedence.

Sorry I don't have anything else to suggest.

Ethernet with a router seems to be reliable for me -- barring the
periodic change in IP address that I have to keep looking up. Today being
particularly ridiculous -- my main computer spending hours in CHKDSK, so I
had the BBB cabled to the router, with an R-PI 3 upstairs on a TV with WiFi
-- ssh into the BBB <G>

John Syne

Sep 25, 2016, 12:57:13 PM9/25/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 24, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:13:23 +0300, Dennis Muthuri
> <muthur...@gmail.com> declaimed the
> following:
>

>> I’m connecting it to the Mac Book through USB. My laptop requires a thunderbird adapter to allow ethernet as it doesn’t have a native ethernet port.
>>

> Well -- that kills my only idea: that you had an Ethernet connection on
> the BBB in parallel with the USB and it was taking precedence.
>
> Sorry I don't have anything else to suggest.
>
> Ethernet with a router seems to be reliable for me -- barring the
> periodic change in IP address that I have to keep looking up. Today being
Why not setup a permanent IP address for your BBB in your DHCP server. On my Cisco router, I add a MAC to IP address for my BBB and I get the same IP address each time.

Regards,
John
> particularly ridiculous -- my main computer spending hours in CHKDSK, so I
> had the BBB cabled to the router, with an R-PI 3 upstairs on a TV with WiFi
> -- ssh into the BBB <G>
> --
> Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
> wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Dennis Muthuri

Sep 25, 2016, 3:54:28 PM9/25/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I tried that. It doesn't connect. I have reason to believe it's the ftdi driver being used.

The device isn't even picked up as ejectable. Though it shows up when you check for connected devices via the terminal.

On 25 Sep 2016 7:57 pm, "John Syne" <john...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:13:23 +0300, Dennis Muthuri
> <muthur...@gmail.com> declaimed the
> following:
>

>> I’m connecting it to the Mac Book through USB. My laptop requires a thunderbird adapter to allow ethernet as it doesn’t have a native ethernet port.
>>

>       Well -- that kills my only idea: that you had an Ethernet connection on
> the BBB in parallel with the USB and it was taking precedence.
>
>       Sorry I don't have anything else to suggest.
>
>       Ethernet with a router seems to be reliable for me -- barring the
> periodic change in IP address that I have to keep looking up. Today being
Why not setup a permanent IP address for your BBB in your DHCP server. On my Cisco router, I add a MAC to IP address for my BBB and I get the same IP address each time.

Regards,
John
> particularly ridiculous -- my main computer spending hours in CHKDSK, so I
> had the BBB cabled to the router, with an R-PI 3 upstairs on a TV with WiFi
> -- ssh into the BBB <G>
> --
>       Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
>    wlf...@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 25, 2016, 7:05:03 PM9/25/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 09:57:05 -0700, John Syne
<john...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Why not setup a permanent IP address for your BBB in your DHCP server. On my Cisco router, I add a MAC to IP address for my BBB and I get the same IP address each time.

Probably because I don't use them enough to have made me look through
the router config to find a page for that (I know the DMZ setup is NOT the
page wanted)...

Well... We'll see what happens in the future, since I did now find the
page and put the last used IPs into the reserved list (time to dig up the
second BBB and load it into the table, then rename the Putty configs for
each of them)

If I ever get the TIVA TM4C129x boards active enough to use the
ethernet, that will be four more candidates...