Kenny Koller

Jun 14, 2017, 7:25:11 PM6/14/17
to BeagleBoard

I read this post suggesting that BTRFS + RAID 1 may be a good solution as a reliable read-write SD card root filesystem. Or at least one with a much longer life.

This warning suggests that one not use BTRFS unless using Linux kernel 4.4 or greater.

I'm designing for a field units that are not easily replaced so I would prefer to be conservative. Is there distro + kernel release for Beaglebone Black that will support this?

Robert Nelson

Jun 15, 2017, 10:40:04 AM6/15/17
to Beagle Board, ke...@understoryweather.com
We've had btrfs driver built-in to the kernel by default for a long
time, along with btrfs-tools installed.

The big issue. U-Boot doesn't support btrfs, there was a patch, but it
wasn't merged.

So you'll need atleast a fat/ext partition for u-boot to read the
kernel, initrd and device tree binaries.

But once you have the kernel loaded, you can customize your btrfs
partitions to your hearts delight.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson