Is it possible to make work the BBB C program code without installing any operating systems?

c...@mail.ru

Nov 15, 2017, 10:40:05 PM11/15/17
to BeagleBoard
In other words I'd like to make work the BeagleBone Black on the base C program code without any operating systems.
My task is simple enough - frequency meter 0...100 KHz, DI/DO simple logic and data exchange accross TCP/IP.

Graham

Nov 16, 2017, 10:20:30 AM11/16/17
to BeagleBoard
Yes, it is possible.
Also, probably extremely painful learning experience.
There are ARM processors that are designed to run with OS.  They start with the letter A.
The processor in the Beaglebone is an A-8.
There are ARM processors that are designed to run without OS. They start with the letter M.

I would suggest that you look at one of the faster M series, like a 200 MHz M4F and see it that will do your job.

--- Graham

==

Dennis Lee Bieber

Nov 16, 2017, 11:48:50 AM11/16/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 07:20:30 -0800 (PST), Graham
<gra...@flex-radio.com> declaimed the following:

>Yes, it is possible.
>There are ARM processors that are designed to run without OS. They start
>with the letter M.
>
>I would suggest that you look at one of the faster M series, like a 200 MHz
>M4F and see it that will do your job.
>
>--- Graham
>
>==
>
>On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 9:40:05 PM UTC-6, AVR wrote:
>>
>> In other words I'd like to make work the BeagleBone Black on the base C
>> program code without any operating systems.
>> My task is simple enough - frequency meter 0...100 KHz, DI/DO simple logic
>> and data exchange accross TCP/IP.

Haven't found a reference for one at that speed, but possibly of
interest would be the TIVA-C Launchpads: The TM4C123G (80MHz M4F, 256kB
Flash, 32kB RAM, and way too many timers [6@64bit, 6@32bit -- each of which
can be configured as two half-width timers]); TM4C1294 (120MHz M4F, 1MB
Flash, 256kB RAM, Ethernet, fewer timers [8@32bit, likely also splitable];
the TM4C129E is identical but adds some HW crypto support]). Supported by
TI Code Composer Studio, and TI-RTOS for tasking.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Graham

Nov 16, 2017, 3:59:19 PM11/16/17
to BeagleBoard
The one I was thinking of was the Freescale/NXP   Kenitis K66 series.
180 MHz, ARM M4F
(I guess not 200 MHz, but close.)
Available on a maker board as the Teensy 3.6

Ti, NXP, Stm, may also have fast M4F, but it would take some digging.

Microchip has PIC32MZ, 200  MHz, but is MIPS4 rather than ARM M4F.

--- Graham

==

bris...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2017, 6:11:56 PM11/16/17
to BeagleBoard
TI StarterWare is what you want

AVR

Nov 16, 2017, 10:12:38 PM11/16/17
to BeagleBoard
Thank you Graham, I completely forgot that I also need and exchange data on TCP/IP... in that case is it possible to realize programmatically TCP/IP without OS ?

soul.est...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2017, 10:54:00 PM11/16/17
to BeagleBoard
There is a baremetal BeagleBone project here: http://www.baremetal.tech/index.html

TJF

Nov 17, 2017, 9:49:22 AM11/17/17
to BeagleBoard
Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 16. November 2017 04:40:05 UTC+1 schrieb AVR:
In other words I'd like to make work the BeagleBone Black on the base C program code without any operating systems.
My task is simple enough - frequency meter 0...100 KHz, DI/DO simple logic and data exchange accross TCP/IP.

You can run a small C programm (up to 2000 ASM instructions) on the PRU, loading from init RD very early in the boot sequence. Then use TCP/IP when network is ready. When using both PRUSS, up to 4000 instructions are possible.

Regards

andrew.r...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 11:58:03 AM11/17/17
to BeagleBoard
Oh thank you very very dear TJF! it is the new and useful idea for me

Graham

Nov 17, 2017, 12:07:07 PM11/17/17
to BeagleBoard
There are TCP/IP Ethernet stacks that are designed to run without on OS.
My personal experience is with the PIC32MX and PIC32MZ, using the Ethernet stack included in their 'Harmony' software support package.

There are likely Ethernet stacks for the high end ARM processors that have GMII interfaces, but I have not used them.

If you are going to be doing any sophisticated TCP/IP interaction, you may want to consider keeping the OS on the Sitara, and do a hardware design that isolates the realtime counter portion of the design from the OS timing issues.

As TJF suggested, use one or both PRUs for the real time stuff, and keep the OS for the things it does well.

Or use some of the counter capability in the Sitara peripherals.

--- Graham

==

andrew.r...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2017, 4:52:39 PM11/18/17
to BeagleBoard
Thank you Graham! your suggestion is very interesting

Hee-cheol Yang

Nov 19, 2017, 5:12:39 AM11/19/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you consider the PRU for such kinds of works?

삼성 갤럭시 스마트폰에서 보냈습니다.

제목: [beagleboard] Re: Is it possible to make work the BBB C program code without installing any operating systems?

Hee-cheol Yang

Nov 19, 2017, 5:14:37 AM11/19/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you consider the PRU for such kinds of works?

삼성 갤럭시 스마트폰에서 보냈습니다.

Nov 19, 2017, 10:53:48 PM11/19/17
to BeagleBoard
thanks but just about using it and thinking

mike.ma...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2017, 4:50:42 AM11/22/17
to BeagleBoard
Check out StarterWare from TI (there is also a FreeStarterWare project available on sf.net which contains a lot of bugfixes and feature enhancements TI never managed to publish). It contains TCP/IP stack, USB stack, functions to read/write FatFS on SD-card and many things more - all as bare metal without the need to use an operating system and with a lot of useful examples.

AVR

Nov 22, 2017, 5:38:24 AM11/22/17
to BeagleBoard
Oh exactly! Very thank you dear Mike