Brian Lloyd

May 9, 2014, 6:06:18 PM5/9/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
If one can plug the BBB directly into the net and be able to access the BBB from the net, why would one want to use the RNDIS interface over USB? Does RNDIS provide some service that isn't available via an ethernet connection?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

William Hermans

May 9, 2014, 6:31:35 PM5/9/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Someone who may want to use only one connection and is already powering via USB.  Something such as a classroom environment could be a perfect example of why to use RNDIS. In this case, you use fewer Ethernet connections, which could save on costs, and clutter.

To be sure there are many other possible use cases, use your imagination.

Personally, I have had nothing but terrible experiences with RNDIS, but it is not exactly something I am familiar with. I expect when I get around to do some serious reading on the subject, many or all of these issues would go away.

Brian Lloyd

May 9, 2014, 6:39:57 PM5/9/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, May 9, 2014 5:31:35 PM UTC-5, William Hermans wrote:
Someone who may want to use only one connection and is already powering via USB.  Something such as a classroom environment could be a perfect example of why to use RNDIS. In this case, you use fewer Ethernet connections, which could save on costs, and clutter.

To be sure there are many other possible use cases, use your imagination.

Ah, OK. Since my systems already have working ethernet the idea of installing another driver didn't make sense to me, especially since the BBB is going to live on the ethernet not be connected to USB. The real question is whether the RNDIS driver provided something that Ethernet/IP didn't. It sounds like you are saying that it doesn't. Good. I can dispense with installing the RNDIS driver on my Mac(s).

Personally, I have had nothing but terrible experiences with RNDIS, but it is not exactly something I am familiar with. I expect when I get around to do some serious reading on the subject, many or all of these issues would go away.

Like I said, unless RNDIS provides necessary services not available over an Ethernet network connection, I won't be using RNDIS.

Thank you for you reply.

William Hermans

May 9, 2014, 6:51:27 PM5/9/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Well one thing I do know of that using a USB ethernet gadget can do that is very difficult on
 standard ethernet. Spoofing MAC addresses. For legit reasons or otherwise..

Brian Lloyd

May 9, 2014, 7:05:33 PM5/9/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well one thing I do know of that using a USB ethernet gadget can do that is very difficult on
 standard ethernet. Spoofing MAC addresses. For legit reasons or otherwise.

Hmm, every unix system I have used has allowed me to change the MAC address. But I get your point.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive