Understanding boot process of beaglebone black.

Madhu K

Feb 6, 2017, 7:09:54 AM2/6/17
to BeagleBoard
Hi All,

I want to understand the boot process of beaglebone black. I googled and got an article in "Beyond logic" there is explained boot sequence as follows.

By default, the ROM in the Sitara AM3359 will boot from the MMC1 interface first (the onboard eMMC), followed by MMC0 (MicroSD), UART0 and USB0.

what does UART0 and USB0 meanig here?

Regards,
Madhu

arun kumar

Apr 19, 2017, 7:43:19 AM4/19/17
to BeagleBoard
UART0 and USB0 are the peripheral communication.
The number 0 attached to the end is the peripheral number, In modern day MPUs there will be multiple communication so we have multiple UART and USB.
UART-0 and USB-0 are the first  devices with the same protocol. UART-0 and USB-0 are the first in the series adn are numbered as 0 accordingly.

In the beaglebone, If the eMMC and sd_card do not have bootable media, the boot proces will go to UART device number 0 to look for a bootable medium and then to USB0.
for more details visit the TI wiki  : http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Main_Page

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 5:39:54 PM UTC+5:30, Madhu K wrote::  All,

Madhu K

Apr 19, 2017, 7:56:01 AM4/19/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
In the beaglebone, If the eMMC and sd_card do not have bootable media, the boot proces will go to UART device number 0 to look for a bootable medium and then to USB0.

Meaning the device( some bootable device) which is connected to UART0 if UART0 is also not available then it will look for the device which is connected at USB0 am i right?