trying to use the USB networking with the IoT snapshot image

John Stoner

Apr 22, 2016, 8:29:53 PM4/22/16
to BeagleBoard
So I downloaded and installed the Jessie IoT Snapshot. I like that it doesn't have a bunch of stuff running I don't need.

I am trying to  get the USB networking to work. It worked with the board straight out of the box, so I know the problem is not on my laptop. After flashing the IoT image I dicked around with connman enough to decide I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it (and USB was unresponsive with that too). That didn't help.

I do see the usb0 stanza in /etc/network/interfaces,

[ root@beaglebone:~ ]
0s 👍  #> more /etc/network/interfaces

[snip]

# Ethernet/RNDIS gadget (g_ether)
# Used by: /opt/scripts/boot/autoconfigure_usb0.sh
iface usb0 inet static
    address 192.168.7.2
    netmask 255.255.255.252
    network 192.168.7.0
    gateway 192.168.7.1

and I do see usb0 output in my ip addr output

[ root@beaglebone:~ ]
0s 💩  #> ip addr

[snip]

3: usb0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000    link/ether 68:9e:19:8f:60:f0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.7.2/30 brd 192.168.7.3 scope global usb0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

(of course I get that via eth0.)

Googling I see this

which is out of date. it says to update /etc/inittab (among other things), and that's gone in the new systemd world...

so how do I do this? How do I get USB networking to work with the Jessie IoT image?

Robert Nelson

Apr 22, 2016, 8:36:51 PM4/22/16
to Beagle Board
So...  In the Jessie iot image, we have connman setup to control eth0 and IGNORE usb0..

usb0 comes up first via loading the g_multi module, thru a generic init script, and then udhcp is used to give your pc an ip address..

I have a simple form of the script here:

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

John Stoner

Apr 22, 2016, 9:05:55 PM4/22/16
to BeagleBoard
OK, I do that and it looks like udhcpd is already there.

I run the script and get

[ root@beaglebone:~ ]
0s 👍  #> sudo ./beaglebone-black-g-ether-load.sh
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'g_ether': No such device
[ ok ] Restarting udhcpd (via systemctl): udhcpd.service.

I disconnect from my network and try usb and it times out.

I disconnect and try to log in via my network and now I get

[ jstoner@erzulie:~ ]
4s 💩  $> ssh ro...@192.168.80.252
ssh: connect to host 192.168.80.252 port 22: Connection refused

Did I need to reinstall connman? Shall I flash again?

John Stoner

Apr 22, 2016, 9:07:55 PM4/22/16
to BeagleBoard
aack, posted too soon. I can get in via my network.

John Stoner

Apr 22, 2016, 9:53:57 PM4/22/16
to BeagleBoard
crap, reinstalled connman, reran the script, and no luck:

[ root@beaglebone:~ ]
0s 👍  #> ./beaglebone-black-g-ether-load.sh
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'g_ether': No such device
[ ok ] Restarting udhcpd (via systemctl): udhcpd.service.
[ root@beaglebone:~ ]
4s 👍  #> logout
Connection to 192.168.80.207 closed.

[disconnected my network and reconnected USB]

[ jstoner@erzulie:~ ]
58s 👍  $> ssh ro...@192.168.7.2
ssh: connect to host 192.168.7.2 port 22: Operation timed out

No luck.

John Stoner

Jun 17, 2016, 4:12:53 PM6/17/16
to BeagleBoard
I came back to this, still not getting it to work. Seeing the same problem with Wheezy (had to go back).