Re: [beagleboard] Beaglebone Black won't boot from Micro SD, all LEDs remain lit

Gerald Coley

May 7, 2013, 6:00:51 PM5/7/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
My suggestion is that you not do that. The Black is different than the BeagleBone. Totally different memory. SW is already on the board in the eMMC. Remove the SD card. Power cycle the board and let it boot.

Gerald

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM, <jorge.b...@batsac.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've been using the classic Beaglebone for a while now and today received my Beaglebone Black. Thing is when I tried to boot the BBB with the SD card I was using on the classic BB the board remains locked up with the four user LEDs lit. The distribution on the SD card is Angstrom. Any help will be deeply appreciated!

Jorge

Gerald

Gerald Coley

May 8, 2013, 8:31:35 AM5/8/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Reflash the board. There is a bug that prevents update from working. We will have a new image released shortly that fixes this. So, don't try it again until the image is released.

Gerald

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM, <azei...@gmail.com> wrote:
I hit this issue as well, only with the eMMC.

From the BBB, i did an opkg upgrade -t <folder>. It appeared to have completed successfully.

After power off / on, it won't boot anymore. Some blinking right after power, then all 4 USR leds go solid. No serial access. Tried to use boot button + sd card to flash eMMC, no luck.

Help appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Gerald Coley

May 9, 2013, 2:39:09 PM5/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
What is the rating on the DC power supply you are using as indicated in the instructions?

If you use USB it could be shutting down.

Gerald

On Thursday, May 9, 2013, wrote:

Op dinsdag 7 mei 2013 23:58:33 UTC+2 schreef jorge.b...@batsac.com het volgende:
Hi,

I've been using the classic Beaglebone for a while now and today received my Beaglebone Black. Thing is when I tried to boot the BBB with the SD card I was using on the classic BB the board remains locked up with the four user LEDs lit. The distribution on the SD card is Angstrom. Any help will be deeply appreciated!

Jorge

jorge.b...@batsac.com

May 9, 2013, 6:23:32 PM5/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I've read about someone else that had that problem, I was able to flash the eMMC today with no problem, just make sure you have a flasher image and you follow the procedure exactly. The wiki at Circuit.co details that exactly. http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=Updating_The_Software

The issue I'm having right now is trying to boot from the uSD using an image that is not flasher, haven't found any info on that and I've tried with an uSD that had an older build of Angstrom (the one before this last build) but in that case the BBB gets locked up. Gerald do you have any idea why that could be?

-Jorge

On Thursday, May 9, 2013, wrote:

Op dinsdag 7 mei 2013 23:58:33 UTC+2 schreef jorge.b...@batsac.com het volgende:
Hi,

I've been using the classic Beaglebone for a while now and today received my Beaglebone Black. Thing is when I tried to boot the BBB with the SD card I was using on the classic BB the board remains locked up with the four user LEDs lit. The distribution on the SD card is Angstrom. Any help will be deeply appreciated!

Jorge

Gerald Coley

May 9, 2013, 6:53:48 PM5/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I will defer to the software experts on that one.

Gerald Coley

May 9, 2013, 9:42:48 PM5/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure about the Ubuntu loading process. The Ubuntu community expert is out on business travel until next week. So unless someone else can chime in, you many need to wait until he returns.

Gerald

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM, <chris.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Guys.  I too am having no luck booting from the SD card.  I'm trying to use ubuntu because I'm much more comfortable in it than angstrom.  I'm holding down the user button and it starts up.  The power light stays lit but all other LEDs stay off.  I have tried doing this under usb power and using a 5v 2a wall wart.

Really would like to use ubuntu on this thing!

Gerald Coley

May 9, 2013, 10:05:18 PM5/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Typically it is from not holding the button down long enough.

Gerald

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM, <chris.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
WOOOT, I'm in Ubuntu you guys!  Not sure what I did differently.  The one that eventually worked I used ubuntu 12.04 and imagewriter.  It might have been that the USER button is really hard to depress as well?

Either way, i'm in the process of doing apt-get update, upgrade, install vlc, etc.

William Hermans

May 11, 2013, 7:29:51 PM5/11/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
"WOOOT, I'm in Ubuntu you guys!  Not sure what I did differently.  The one that eventually worked I used ubuntu 12.04 and imagewriter.  It might have been that the USER button is really hard to depress as well?"

Would be good if you and others like you copied each command into a text file. MY self, I use windows 7 as a desktop and ssh into any number of NIX systems.

That way, when something does go wrong, you have a list of commands to show others to help you, and if it does work out, you have a recipe for success. To share with others if you so felt inclined ( even ) :)

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM, <azei...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Gerald for the info.

I was able to successfully reflash to the 4-13 production image.

The reason that my previous attempt to flash failed is that either the 5-08 image that was briefly available on the BBB images site a couple of days ago was either corrupt, or my download attempt failed.

I re-downloaded the 4-13 image, and it flashed just fine.

I'll try out the new 5-08 image later today.

Thanks again,

Andy

Gerald Coley

May 12, 2013, 9:26:14 AM5/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The you did something wrong.

Gerald

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM, SDitty <sditl...@gmail.com> wrote:
As an update -  After I successfully reflashed to 4-13, I re-downloaded the 5-08 image and was able to boot from it, but after it finished flashing, it would not boot at all. Had to reflash back to 4-13 image again to get it to boot.

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:07:58 PM UTC-7, SDitty wrote:

I had a similar experience I tried and tried to boot from the uSD with 5-8 image with no luck. So then I made a uSD with the 4-13 image and it booted from uSD on the first attempt. Did you have success when you tried the 5-8?

Steve

On Friday, May 10, 2013 12:24:11 PM UTC-7, azei...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks Gerald for the info.

I was able to successfully reflash to the 4-13 production image.

The reason that my previous attempt to flash failed is that either the 5-08 image that was briefly available on the BBB images site a couple of days ago was either corrupt, or my download attempt failed.

I re-downloaded the 4-13 image, and it flashed just fine.

I'll try out the new 5-08 image later today.

Thanks again,

Andy

Gerald Coley

May 12, 2013, 5:37:14 PM5/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Great! As long as you take it a step at a time a,d don't get in a big hurry, it should work. It is easy to skip a step.

Gerald

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM, SDitty <sditl...@gmail.com> wrote:
That may well be.  I redownloaded the production 5-8 image, reflashed, and now it boots with no problems.

michael....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2013, 3:21:44 PM6/21/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm having a similar problem but with Angstrom. I've made a debian image and that does boot from the sd card fine. But the Angstrom recent image reloads the image onto the eMMC every time.. even though I'm not holding the boot button down (as have each other one). Could it be how it was created? I havent tried it on windows yet, or should I up the class number of the card. It is currently a class 4. As part of the course.. I am a beginner as well. :)
Michael

Gerald Coley

Jun 21, 2013, 3:27:27 PM6/21/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
That is what the recent image is intended to do. It is a flasher image.

Gerald

michael....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2013, 5:18:19 PM6/21/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Ah, thanks... operator error... my apologies.
Michael

marcus...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2013, 12:22:21 PM8/1/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I just received a Beaglebone black with 2A power supply from adafruit. I wanted to use a microSD card for extra storage (not to boot from)  It will not boot when the card is inserted. Same symptoms as below - all lights lit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marcus

William Hermans

Aug 1, 2013, 12:37:52 PM8/1/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
make a file  named uEnv.txt on the sdcard, and add this to it:

mmcdev=1
bootpart=1:2
mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ro

wwg...@yahoo.com

Sep 30, 2013, 2:36:44 PM9/30/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, chris.mi...@gmail.com
Hi congrats!!!! I am in the exact same boat literally.  I am trying to install ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 versions and when I hold down the USER/BOOT button, no other of the 4 user LEDs come on.  I have written the ubuntu image on the uSD card using both PIfiller and command line (ie sudo dd if=path/to/.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=1m).  Also, when I connect the power supply to the board without pressing the USER/BOOT button, 3/4 of the lights do come one, but my network will not recognize any DHCP connection at all.  Any help would be awesome, thanks!!!!

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:02:38 PM UTC-7, chris.mi...@gmail.com wrote:
WOOOT, I'm in Ubuntu you guys!  Not sure what I did differently.  The one that eventually worked I used ubuntu 12.04 and imagewriter.  It might have been that the USER button is really hard to depress as well?

roniv...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2013, 11:59:48 AM12/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, oni...@gmail.com
Hi Jorge,

I have the same problem with my BBB. I did the "opkg upgrade" and then the BBB don't start anymore. all Leds are lit. How do you solved this problem?

Any help will be deeply appreciated!
Thanks,

Ronimar

Em quinta-feira, 9 de maio de 2013 15h27min41s UTC-3, oni...@gmail.com escreveu:

Op dinsdag 7 mei 2013 23:58:33 UTC+2 schreef jorge.b...@batsac.com het volgende:
Hi,

bgr...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2013, 10:33:56 PM12/18/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
I have a Beagleboard Black, San micro sdcard 16g extreme with the Kali Linux Image on it. With the help of Tobin over at Win32 image writer I saw that the write was correct with an image
G (microsd card) 122M
G /storage/kali/images/beaglebone-black/root 6.72G
opened partition to find 12 folders
So the partition is there and working. Win32 image did its job.  This means boot problem then I found your group. Read the threads.
I modified the text file uEnv
Used these following values

mmcdev=1
bootpart=1:2
mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ro

to replace

echo Booting from external microSD...; setenv mmcdev 0; else setenv mmcdev 1; if test $mmc0 = 1; then setenv mmcroot /dev/mmcblk1p2 rw; fi;
ext4load mmc 1:2 ${loadaddr} /boot/zImage && mw.l 4804c194 00c00000; echo Booting from internal eMMC...; fi

No change. S2 button should be held until 4 leds light up - no leds light up.
Any tips,
Thanks

John Syne

Dec 19, 2013, 12:20:34 AM12/19/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: <bgr...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM
To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [beagleboard] Re: Beaglebone Black won't boot from Micro SD, all LEDs remain lit

Hi,
I have a Beagleboard Black, San micro sdcard 16g extreme with the Kali Linux Image on it. With the help of Tobin over at Win32 image writer I saw that the write was correct with an image
G (microsd card) 122M
G /storage/kali/images/beaglebone-black/root 6.72G
opened partition to find 12 folders
So the partition is there and working. Win32 image did its job.  This means boot problem then I found your group. Read the threads.
I modified the text file uEnv
Used these following values

mmcdev=1
bootpart=1:2
mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ro
I’m not sure why you want to make these changes in uEnv. If the SDCard is installed, it is mmcdev=0 and eMMC is mmcdev=1. Best to use the default uEnv file.

If you are unsure, you can always run each command at the u-boot prompt and see what happens. You can list files in the FAT partition with “fatls mmc 0” and load the uEnv.txt file with “run loadbootenv” and “run importbootenv”, which updates your u-boot env. Check this with printenv. Best way to learn is to do this step by step.

Regards,
John

to replace

echo Booting from external microSD...; setenv mmcdev 0; else setenv mmcdev 1; if test $mmc0 = 1; then setenv mmcroot /dev/mmcblk1p2 rw; fi;
ext4load mmc 1:2 ${loadaddr} /boot/zImage && mw.l 4804c194 00c00000; echo Booting from internal eMMC...; fi

No change. S2 button should be held until 4 leds light up - no leds light up.
Any tips,
Thanks

bgr...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2013, 3:06:25 AM12/19/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
John,
John
Thanks I was following William Hermans post. uEnv is the boot program which links into the image folders so the uEnv program has had no problems which is good to know. I will try the step by step approach.
Bruce

bgr...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2013, 5:43:34 AM12/19/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This seems to be the start of the conversation - a previous thread. How to make BeagleBone black boot off SD card It has the uEnv.txt file discussion

mid...@icarusnova.com

Jan 23, 2014, 12:51:16 AM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
My beagleboard Black was working fine till yesterday .. Im not sure why .. But it initially stopped opening up the emmc and the emmc access light blinks for a little while then stopps .
The heartbeat LED was still working but after a while it switched off and no when i plug in the usb or and external supply it doesnt switch on . I tried pressing the power button but the
power LED just blinks once every time i press the power button . Can someone help me out .

Gerald Coley

Jan 23, 2014, 8:35:14 AM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Try reflashing the eMMC. and in the future, use the power button to shut the board down instead of pulling power.

Gerald

Jones Jebaraj

Mar 26, 2014, 11:40:19 AM3/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
 I am a newbie to beagle bone black. My BBB is not booting. When powerd with the barrel connector, only the power led is glowing.Any of the USR leds does not glow. Tried to reflash the eMMC, but no change. Also the board does not power up with the usb cable. Any suggestions??

Gerald Coley

Mar 26, 2014, 11:44:17 AM3/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I would make sure you flash it correctly per the instructions and run it from the DC jack.

Depending on what you have plugged in and how good the USB power source is, it may not power the board.

Gerald

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Jones Jebaraj <jonesjose...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all
 I am a newbie to beagle bone black. My BBB is not booting. When powerd with the barrel connector, only the power led is glowing.Any of the USR leds does not glow. Tried to reflash the eMMC, but no change. Also the board does not power up with the usb cable. Any suggestions??

Jones Jebaraj

Mar 26, 2014, 11:54:22 AM3/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Gearald, for you timely reply.I am using a 5V Power bank to power the board. But I think that the power supply may not be the problem because the same does occur when I connect it via my laptop. Also I forgot to mention that the board heats up unusually. It is worthwhile to mention that I have another BBB which works on the same power bank without issues.

Jones Jebaraj

Mar 26, 2014, 11:59:30 AM3/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
And yes, the instructions were perfectly followed for flashing. I think this might not be wrong because i have already flashed my other BBB three or four times

Gerald Coley

Mar 26, 2014, 12:10:44 PM3/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
OK. Information is helpful. It helps people help you when they are crafting a response. Nice to know you have another board that works.

I would say based on the added sentences, unless you have more to tell, that the other board, the one that does not work and heats up, is damaged. I suggest you go to this link:

Gerald.

Jones Jebaraj

Mar 26, 2014, 12:27:29 PM3/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have one more question to ask. Please bear up with me. In the link that you have sent, I find that RMA can be filed only if the stock has been purchased from an authorized distributor. I am from India. Here we have three authorized distributors and all of them were out of stock. As we are hurrying up with our final year BE project we had to buy one from another online shop. Would my application for an RMA be considered?

Gerald Coley

Mar 26, 2014, 12:30:48 PM3/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
In that case, you would need to send it back to that distributor for replacement or repair.

Gerald

keen...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2014, 2:48:20 AM3/31/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Gerald, I seem to be having a problem booting any image from a uSD. I originally tried putting other distros on the bbb when purchased back in Dec. Then I decided to just flash the eMMC with Angstrom, which seems to work fine.

Now, however, I am incorporating the radium camera cape into a project and I cannot seem to boot with their modified Angstrom image, which apparently is required to be used via uSD because the cape interferes with the eMMC.

Trying to boot from this and any other image produces user LED activity for about 3-5 minutes, and appears to be booting from uSD based on lights. Then suddenly without warning, the LED activity stops and the 2 middle user LEDs stay lit solid, along with the pwr light. I know this is related to power failure in other cases, but wondering if that is the same issue here? I have been using a combination of bench top and wall wart pwr supplies, all rated at 5V/2A.

Any thoughts?
Peter

Peter Keenan

Apr 1, 2014, 12:34:44 AM4/1/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
well, the camera cape and radium board's modified image is working. I went from a class 2 to a class 4 uSD. No idea if that was the fix. I also re-downloaded the image and went thru trying to get it booted again. I disconnected everything except an HDMI cord and the 5V 2.5 DC barrel plug, and now it boots without too much trouble.

pitp...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2014, 3:00:33 PM11/13/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have a problem.
When i started setting up the beaglebone black I misunderstood the instructions and I wrote the image(angstron distribution) to the eMMC of the board and i also wrote a file (initrd.img) to the eMMC and then my computer couldn't read the beaglebone black anymore.Now when I power the beaglebone black only the led that is seperated from the others is lighting as if its booting but it never finishes and the other leds never light up.Help me what can I do?

A M Kent

A M Kent

Nov 30, 2014, 10:51:32 AM11/30/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, pitp...@gmail.com
Follow the direction from this link to reflash eMMC with original angstron OS https://learn.adafruit.com/beaglebone-black-installing-operating-systems/flashing-the-beaglebone-black

Felipe ordoñez

Mar 9, 2015, 10:19:25 AM3/9/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi,   If I do all the procedures that mention here,  reflash the Emmc..    I lose the information and Files that I have in my home directory??

thanks

Tim M

Apr 29, 2015, 4:50:17 PM4/29/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I've held down the button you're suggesting for nearly 2mins and no change from booting from uSD. Once I eject the uSD and reboot the BBB i'm able to boot into to the eMMC, which is running the flashed version of ubuntu. I'm simply attempting to run the ubuntu desktop now(from uSD), instead of the console version (on eMMC).

I'm having the same problem as A M Kent. I have a BBB rev C. I've installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 on a microSD card, and the card is inserted in my BBB. When I turn on the power while holding down the boot switch, all 4 LEDs come on and remain lit. The BBB does not boot. I held down the boot switch a long time (about 60 seconds). Once I eject the microSD and reboot the BBB I'm able to boot into to the eMMC, which still contains the Debian that came installed on the BBB.

I have 5 other Beaglebone Blacks, all rev C, and they all boot just fine from a microSD card with Ubuntu 12.04.2. In fact, I took the microSD card from one of these BBBs and inserted it in my new BBB, and it doesn't boot.

This seems to indicate that my new BBB is defective. Do you guys agree?

Tim M

Robert Nelson

Apr 29, 2015, 4:53:05 PM4/29/15
to Beagle Board
You could prove it easily by plugging in a ftdi usb-serial cable into
the debug port.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Tim M

Apr 29, 2015, 5:05:42 PM4/29/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

Unfortunately I don't have a ftdi usb-serial cable. But if I get one, can you refer me to instructions on how to use it?

Thanks,
Tim

William Hermans

Apr 29, 2015, 5:51:37 PM4/29/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
What is it you do not know about using a serial debug cable Tim ?

Tim M

Apr 29, 2015, 10:12:18 PM4/29/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I meant that I've never used the debug port and an FTDI cable on the BBB. I assume I would connect to the BBB using a serial terminal program (in my case I would be connecting from Windows).  When Robert said I could prove it easily by plugging in a ftdi usb-serial cable into the debug port, I assume he means that I can get an idea of what's happening by watching the messages on the serial terminal. Am I right?

William Pretty Security

Apr 29, 2015, 11:08:31 PM4/29/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Yes

It should boot from the onboard emmc.

Type “debian” as the username and “temppwd” as the password.

Then try “dmesg” to see all of the boot messages.

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmond Burke (1729 - 1797)

http://www.packtpub.com/building-a-home-security-system-with-beaglebone/book

http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/bill-pretty/2b/b07/602

No virus found in this message.

William Hermans

Apr 30, 2015, 2:13:17 AM4/30/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
@Tim

On Windows puTTY is probably your best bet. I'd say that *everyone* who uses COMx devices on windows use it, but I'd probably be wrong. There are many apps out there. But puTTY and the paralax serial app are the two most prominent on my mind.

So basically, you get an adapter, be is cable, or otherwise. You install the drivers for that cable on windows. Look in hardware manager find the COM port the drivers reserved for the device. Then you install puTTY, change the connection type to serial, and then you must configure the connection ( COM port, baud rate, parity etc.)

Anyway, I'm sure there is a how to on the web somewhere. I used to have one on a forums for the beaglebone black when it was first released. But it seems now that forum is defunct. Just make sure you use a 3.3v TTL adapter . . . otherwise you'll probably damage your BBB.

William Hermans

Apr 30, 2015, 2:27:50 AM4/30/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Here is a picture I made for that old post that shows which pins are which. Note: The values TXD and RXD are the actual pins on the BBB. Not which wires get put where . . .

beaglebone-black-serial.jpg

Tim M

Apr 30, 2015, 9:11:27 AM4/30/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
.

William, thanks for your help. I will have to buy a FTDI cable before I can give this a try.

But I have  a question. My BBB doesn't boot from a microSD, all LEDs come on immediately and stay on. How can I connect to it in this state?

If I have a serial console connection to the BBB using the FTDI cable, will I have to log in with a user name and password? Or will it behave as if I had a monitor attached, and boot messages will simply appear on screen?

I'm trying to determine if getting an FTDI cable will help debug this failure to boot problem.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Robert Nelson

Apr 30, 2015, 9:25:48 AM4/30/15
to Beagle Board
By having the FTDI cable plugged in, you'll visually see over the
usart the full boot procedure and either the software error or
hardware failure of the microSD..

One can easily be fixed, the other is a broken board.

Till then, the 4 led pattern doesn't tell us much.

Tim M

Apr 30, 2015, 9:48:53 AM4/30/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert, could I connect a keyboard and monitor and see the boot messages on the monitor, the same boot messages that would appear on the serial console? I'm asking because I could connect a monitor today, but I'd have to order a FTDI cable, which would take a few days to arrive.

Thanks,
Tim

William Hermans

Apr 30, 2015, 9:51:53 AM4/30/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
But I have  a question. My BBB doesn't boot from a microSD, all LEDs come on immediately and stay on. How can I connect to it in this state?

In a nutshell . . .uboot has control over the UART until it passes control over to the OS.

If I have a serial console connection to the BBB using the FTDI cable, will I have to log in with a user name and password? Or will it behave as if I had a monitor attached, and boot messages will simply appear on screen?

In short, no. You do not log in via the UART( serial ) console until the OS is loaded, and in a running state. Just before this happens, you will see the kernel boot "log". When the board first comes up, and uboot has control of the UART. It should start spitting out information related to what uboot is doing. *IF* you get nothing but "CCCCCCCCC . . ." then this means uboot was unable to find a suitable image to load.

I'm trying to determine if getting an FTDI cable will help debug this failure to boot problem.

You really do not have any other option. Aside from not bothering with it. But honestly, how many boards did you say you have ? If you plan on doing anything project wise with the boards. A serial debug adapter is pretty much a requirement.

Robert Nelson

Apr 30, 2015, 9:52:00 AM4/30/15
to Beagle Board
Sorry, nope. From bootrom -> u-boot, it's serial only. While there is
early fb support in u-boot, we don't currently utilize it yet.. So
the first thing to display anything to the screen is the kernel.

Tim M

Jul 7, 2015, 11:10:50 AM7/7/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I finally got a FTDI cable and attached it to my new BBB. I get the following when I attempt to boot from the microSD card:

U-Boot 2014.04-00015-gb4422bd (Apr 22 2014 - 13:24:29)

I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  0 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1
*** Warning - readenv() failed, using default environment

Net:   <ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC
cpsw, usb_ether
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 1
mmc0 is current device
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1
SD/MMC found on device 0
reading uEnv.txt
313 bytes read in 5 ms (60.5 KiB/s)
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 1
Loaded environment from uEnv.txt
Importing environment from mmc ...
Checking if uenvcmd is set ...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 1
Running uenvcmd ...

uenvcmd was not defined in uEnv.txt ...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 0
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 0
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 0
mmc1(part 0) is current device
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1
SD/MMC found on device 1
reading uEnv.txt
1430 bytes read in 6 ms (232.4 KiB/s)
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 1
Loaded environment from uEnv.txt
Importing environment from mmc ...
Checking if uenvcmd is set ...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 1
Running uenvcmd ...
** File not found zImage **
** File not found initrd.img **
** File not found /dtbs/am335x-boneblack.dtb **
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!

uenvcmd was not defined in uEnv.txt ...
Booting from nand ...

no devices available

no devices available
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!

This seems to indicate the zImage is bad on the microSD. However, I tried this microSD card in two other BBB's that I have, and they both boot just fine from this microSD. And, I took the microSD card from one of those BBB's (a known good card), put it in my new BBB, and it won't boot.

So I think my new BBB is defective. Do you guys agree?

Robert Nelson

Jul 7, 2015, 11:14:35 AM7/7/15
to Beagle Board
It's not "defective", it just has a later version of u-boot... Either,
hold down the boot button to boot with the microSD card, erase the
bootloader in the eMMC or fix your uEnv.txt script..

Tim M

Jul 7, 2015, 2:16:55 PM7/7/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

Holding down the boot button doesn't work, I get the "Bad Linux ARM zImage magic" error mentioned above.

When you say it has a later version of u-boot, do you mean the eMMC has a later version of uboot than my microSD card?

How would I fix my uEnv.txt? Here is my uEnv.txt script from the microSD card (which is different than eEnv.txt in the eMMC):
 mmcpart=2
 mmcrootfstype=ext4 rootwait
 optargs=fixrtc capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2
 uenvcmd=i2c mw 0x24 1 0x3e; setenv mmcroot /dev/mmcblk${mmcdev}p${mmcpart} ro
 loadfdt=load mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart} ${fdtaddr} ${bootdir}/dtbs/${fdtfile}
 loadimage=load mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart} ${loadaddr} ${bootdir}/${bootfile}

Remember, my microSD card has Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS  (ubuntu-precise-12.04.3-armhf-3.8.13-bone30.img.xz downloaded from http://www.armhf.com/) and my eMMC has the default Debian that came installed on the BBB.

Here is what I've done
1. Copy Ubuntu image to the microSD card (as per http://www.armhf.com/index.php/getting-started-with-ubuntu-img-file/)
2. Plug card into BBB and boot from card by holding down the boot button
3. Copy Ubuntu image to the onboard eMMC
4. From that point forward, BBB will boot from microSD card without having to hold down the boot button.

I have six BBB's. I followed these steps for all six, and it worked with the first five BBB's. It's only the sixth BBB that is giving me this trouble. The sixth refuses to boot from the microSD.

Thanks for your help Robert, I'm just not sure how to get this sixth beaglebone working.

Tim

Robert Nelson

Jul 7, 2015, 2:31:59 PM7/7/15
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Tim M <timlori...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Holding down the boot button doesn't work, I get the "Bad Linux ARM zImage
> magic" error mentioned above.
>
> When you say it has a later version of u-boot, do you mean the eMMC has a
> later version of uboot than my microSD card?
>
> How would I fix my uEnv.txt? Here is my uEnv.txt script from the microSD
> card (which is different than eEnv.txt in the eMMC):
> mmcpart=2
> mmcrootfstype=ext4 rootwait
> optargs=fixrtc capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2
> uenvcmd=i2c mw 0x24 1 0x3e; setenv mmcroot /dev/mmcblk${mmcdev}p${mmcpart}
> ro
> loadfdt=load mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart} ${fdtaddr} ${bootdir}/dtbs/${fdtfile}
> loadimage=load mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart} ${loadaddr} ${bootdir}/${bootfile}
>
> Remember, my microSD card has Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
> (ubuntu-precise-12.04.3-armhf-3.8.13-bone30.img.xz downloaded from
> http://www.armhf.com/) and my eMMC has the default Debian that came
> installed on the BBB.
>
> Here is what I've done
> 1. Copy Ubuntu image to the microSD card (as per
> http://www.armhf.com/index.php/getting-started-with-ubuntu-img-file/)
> 2. Plug card into BBB and boot from card by holding down the boot button
> 3. Copy Ubuntu image to the onboard eMMC

Okay, so this was self-inflected... At this point where you copied the
ubuntu image to the onboard, eMMC, well i'd contact "armhf.com"...

If you are using images from:

http://beagleboard.org/latest-images
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian
eewiki.net

I can assist you..

Tim M

Jul 7, 2015, 4:37:58 PM7/7/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

I haven't actually written the Ubuntu image to eMMC yet (I have on the first five BBB's but not on the sixth, I can't get past step 1 on the sixth).

This is my goal.
1. Get Ubuntu installed on a microSD card.
2. Configure the BBB to boot from the microSD WITHOUT pressing the boot button every time it boots.

I really don't care what version of Linux is in the eMMC, I just want the BBB to automatically boot from the microSD card. The BBB will be accessed and rebooted remotely, without a human present to push the button.

I will look at the links you provided. Will the instructions on the links you provided help me reach my goal?

Thanks for your help,
Tim

Robert Nelson

Jul 7, 2015, 5:04:10 PM7/7/15
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Tim M <timlori...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I haven't actually written the Ubuntu image to eMMC yet (I have on the first
> five BBB's but not on the sixth, I can't get past step 1 on the sixth).
>
> This is my goal.
> 1. Get Ubuntu installed on a microSD card.
> 2. Configure the BBB to boot from the microSD WITHOUT pressing the boot
> button every time it boots.
>
> I really don't care what version of Linux is in the eMMC, I just want the
> BBB to automatically boot from the microSD card. The BBB will be accessed
> and rebooted remotely, without a human present to push the button.

Well, that's been the default setting for a long time with those image
i just posted a link to.. Just grab the "eMMC-flasher" first to update
the eMMC. Then any of the "microSD" card images will boot just fine
without pushing the boot button...

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2015-07-06

> I will look at the links you provided. Will the instructions on the links
> you provided help me reach my goal?

Tim M

Jul 8, 2015, 5:05:13 PM7/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

I installed Ubuntu (not Debian), by following your instructions for copying the raw microSD image to the microSD card: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#BeagleBone.2FBeagleBone_Black

Then I inserted the card in the BBB, held down the boot button while powering up, and it booted from the card. If I reboot, it boots from the microSD card, which is what I want. If I remove the card and power up, it boots from the eMMC.

Do I need to flash anything to the eMMC? The eMMC still has the default Debian. Since the BBB boots from the card as desired, maybe I don't need to do anything to the eMMC.

I have one question. I will be using a XBee cape board that needs UART2 to be enabled. I will need to add a line like this to uEnv.txt:
optargs=capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2

I think I should add this line /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt in the eMMC, am I right?

I ask this because the microSD card has two copies, /uEnv.txt and /boot/uEnv.txt. The contents of these two files and the file in eMMC are different.

Thanks,
Tim

Robert Nelson

Jul 8, 2015, 5:12:21 PM7/8/15
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Tim M <timlori...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I installed Ubuntu (not Debian), by following your instructions for copying
> the raw microSD image to the microSD card:
> http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#BeagleBone.2FBeagleBone_Black
>
> Then I inserted the card in the BBB, held down the boot button while
> powering up, and it booted from the card. If I reboot, it boots from the
> microSD card, which is what I want. If I remove the card and power up, it
> boots from the eMMC.
>
> Do I need to flash anything to the eMMC? The eMMC still has the default
> Debian. Since the BBB boots from the card as desired, maybe I don't need to
> do anything to the eMMC.
>
> I have one question. I will be using a XBee cape board that needs UART2 to
> be enabled. I will need to add a line like this to uEnv.txt:
> optargs=capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2

Okay, out of the box, that image shipped with 3.14.x, so you need to
downgrade to 3.8.x to use "capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2"

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --stable --bone-channel

> I think I should add this line /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt in the eMMC, am I right?

Only edit /boot/uEnv.txt

cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2

> I ask this because the microSD card has two copies, /uEnv.txt and
> /boot/uEnv.txt. The contents of these two files and the file in eMMC are
> different.

So /boot/uEnv.txt is the main script, /uEnv.txt is just there for
compatibility with old eMMC's..

If you look at /uEnv.txt closely, it reads /boot/uEnv.txt...

Tim M

Jul 27, 2015, 2:33:29 PM7/27/15
to BeagleBoard, robert...@gmail.com
Robert,

In your last post you suggested downgrading to 3.8.x so that I can use the capemgr to enable the BB-UART2-00A0.dtbo device tree overlay. But before I downgrade, is there an alternative way to enable UART2 that will work with 3.14.X?

I'm using an XBee cape board that needs UART2 enabled. Whatever method I use to enable UART2, it must work automatically at boot time so that my cape board works after booting without intervention from me.

By the way, I noticed that /dev/ttyO2 is present on my 3.14.X image, so I tried simply plugging in my cape board to see if UART2 worked, but no luck.

Thanks for you help,
Tim

Robert Nelson

Jul 27, 2015, 2:45:27 PM7/27/15
to Tim M, BeagleBoard
Just use v4.1.x: (any jessie image (the console doesn't have the
dtbo's installed by default 1)

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Debian_Image_Testing_Snapshots

Then in /boot/uEnv.txt add:

cape_enable=bone_capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2

Been hacking on it for the last few weeks, at this point it's
production ready. ;)

1: https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays

SDitty