SSH login through UART5

colom...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2015, 9:13:32 AM11/25/15
to BeagleBoard
Hello, everyone!

My question is: "Is it possible to perform a SSH connection through UART5?".

If yes, how to do it?

Thanks!

Joshua Datko

Nov 25, 2015, 10:13:19 AM11/25/15
to BeagleBoard
I'm not sure why you want to do this, but you'll have a much better time using SSH over ethernet.

I would think the path forward involves:

1.) Getting a TCP stack running over serial instead of Ethernet.
2.) Telling sshd to use your serial-tcp-stack.

Maybe start with this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19941357/tcp-ip-over-serial-port

I imagine it's going to be a lot of hacking together things, but if you can get TCP/IP over serial than you might have some luck.

The other thing that comes to mind is that serial is a point-to-point link, so why not just screen (open normal tty) to bring up a terminal? If you trust the connecting computer and you can physically see the wires connecting to the BBB, I think there is a low chance that your serial comms will be intercepted.

Good luck.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Nov 25, 2015, 2:03:29 PM11/25/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 07:13:19 -0800 (PST), Joshua Datko
<jbd...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>I'm not sure why you want to do this, but you'll have a much better time
>using SSH over ethernet.
>
>I would think the path forward involves:
>
>1.) Getting a TCP stack running over serial instead of Ethernet.
>2.) Telling sshd to use your serial-tcp-stack.
>
>Maybe start with this:
>https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19941357/tcp-ip-over-serial-port
>
>I imagine it's going to be a lot of hacking together things, but if you can
>get TCP/IP over serial than you might have some luck.

Would SLIRP still be a viable path?
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Jerry Davis

Nov 25, 2015, 2:18:41 PM11/25/15
to beagleboard
why not just use screen?

--
Extra Ham Operator: K7AZJ
Registered Linux User: 275424

The most exciting phrase to hear in science - the one that heralds new discoveries - is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...".
- Isaac. Asimov

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.
- Anonymous

If writing good code requires very little comments, then writing really excellent code requires no comments at all!
- Ken Thompson