meaning of BeagleBone build names from RCN

Stephane Charette

Aug 10, 2016, 2:19:21 PM8/10/16
to BeagleBoard
Can someone help explain the name of various builds available on RCN's site?  I have a hard time guessing the meaning or difference between builds.  What I was looking for is a Ubuntu 16.04 build that I can install on my Seeed Studio BBGW, and which includes everything necessary to use WIFI on the device.

For example take this build:

What I was hoping to find is something similar to this:

But I did not find any Ubuntu builds that also had the letters "bbgw" in the title.  I did find several Debian builds with BBGW in the name, but I don't know the difference between them.  For example:

While on the topic of build names from RCN, can someone explain the meaning of these words/builds:
  • bb.org (?)
  • eewiki (?)
  • barefs (bare file system?)
  • minifs  (mini file system?)
  • blank (?)
  • console  (?)
  • iot  (internet of things?)
  • lxqt-2gb (?)
  • lxqt-4gb (?)
  • seeed-gcp (Seeed Studio?)
  • seeed-iot  (Seeed Studio?)
  • seeed-lxqt-4gb (Seeed Studio?)
  • usbflasher (?)

TIA,

Stéphane

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2016, 2:34:30 PM8/10/16
to Beagle Board, Stephane Charette
Hi Stephane,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Stephane Charette
<stephane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone help explain the name of various builds available on RCN's site?
> I have a hard time guessing the meaning or difference between builds. What
> I was looking for is a Ubuntu 16.04 build that I can install on my Seeed
> Studio BBGW, and which includes everything necessary to use WIFI on the
> device.
>
> For example take this build:
>
> https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/2016-06-09/flasher/BBB-eMMC-flasher-ubuntu-16.04-console-armhf-2016-06-09-2gb.img.xz
>

> What I was hoping to find is something similar to this:
>
> https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/2016-xx-yy/flasher/BBGW-eMMC-flasher-ubuntu-16.04-console-armhf-2016-xx-yy-2gb.img.xz

The BBB "ubuntu" image will support the BBGW wifi "eventually"...
There's one ti tool i still need to package into Debian Jessie (my
main rootfs target), then rebuild/port those wl18xx tools to 16.04..

(am i going to get that done this or next week, un-likely..)

http://beagleboard.org

http://eewiki.net -> https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Home

> barefs (bare file system?)
> minifs (mini file system?)
> blank (?)

Flasher can modify the board eeprom...

> console (?)

no x11...

> iot (internet of things?)

> lxqt-2gb (?)

lxqt desktop in 2GB eMMC

> lxqt-4gb (?)

lxqt desktop in 4GB eMMC

> seeed-gcp (Seeed Studio?)
> seeed-iot (Seeed Studio?)
> seeed-lxqt-4gb (Seeed Studio?)

> usbflasher (?)

oem stuff

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Stephane Charette

Aug 10, 2016, 2:49:35 PM8/10/16
to BeagleBoard, stephane...@gmail.com
Thanks for the reply, Robert.  Knowing that I have a BBGW where I want to enable WIFI, which build would you recommend from the following:
(I just noticed that last one is BBBW, not BBGW...?)

Once I understand the difference between these builds, I'll update the BBGW installation instructions that I posted a while back.

Stéphane

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2016, 3:04:13 PM8/10/16
to Beagle Board, Stephane Charette
> (I just noticed that last one is BBBW, not BBGW...?)

Different board, undergoing testing..

> Once I understand the difference between these builds, I'll update the BBGW
> installation instructions that I posted a while back.

ps, the "iot" images are good fit for the BBGW, there was a couple
packages that Seeed wanted by default. That's why there are
"seeed-xyz" variants..

Nuno Gonçalves

Sep 4, 2016, 10:55:00 AM9/4/16

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 7:34:30 PM UTC+1, RobertCNelson wrote:
> barefs (bare file system?)
> minifs  (mini file system?)
> blank (?)

Flasher can modify the board eeprom...

Hi Robert,

Could you please explain in more one line why can it modify the board eeprom?

Thanks