BBB-Development Advice/Recommendations

Thomas Latrofa

Mar 13, 2016, 4:17:15 PM3/13/16
to BeagleBoard
Howdy,

Im new to the Beaglebone Black, and I am curious as to how y'all are going about application development/debugging and the like. I have followed and had success with Fabien Le Mentecs Pruss C compiler Tutorial. As of now, Im still confuzzled on how to set up a proper 'flow' from code development to PRU.
but Im still a bit confused on the compatibility between err'thang.

tl;dr

How are you doing development, and what tools are you using?
Much thanks for any advice y'all would be willing to share.

Jason Kridner

Mar 14, 2016, 8:23:14 AM3/14/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
There are many development approaches. Using the ARM for native compile and cross-compile on ARM to target the PRU is common.

The TI-way is typically cross-compilation if everything from a Linux or Windows x86 machine using Code Composer.

Karl Karpfen

Mar 16, 2016, 9:01:35 AM3/16/16
to BeagleBoard
...and it differs dependent on your application. When your BBB is running with Linux, you can do development and debugging using the usual tools (except for the PRU-code, which is more tricky).

But when you want to do bare-metal programming, tools are quite different (CCS as already mentioned) and you will need a hardware debugger (JTAG) except you want to do printf()-debugging via serial console only.

In case of a bare-metal approach I would recommend StarterWareFree from https://sourceforge.net/projects/starterwarefree/ which is similar to TI's official bare-metal programming package but comes with a lot of bug fixes and additional features.