Setting static IP

lucas

Jun 21, 2016, 6:27:35 AM6/21/16
to BeagleBoard
I am trying to set my Beaglebone Black to a static IP address.

I edited /etc/network/interfaces as follows (leaving out some comments):

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.169.211
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.169.1

# Ethernet/RNDIS gadget (g_ether)
# Used by: /opt/scripts/boot/autoconfigure_usb0.sh
iface usb0 inet static
    address 192.168.7.2
    netmask 255.255.255.252
    network 192.168.7.0
    gateway 192.168.7.1

Unfortunately it seem like the file is ignored and some other ip address is obtained, ostensibly by dhcp.

I am running Debian 8.3 (Linux beaglebone 4.1.15-ti-rt-r43). Any idea how to fix this?

Micka

Jun 21, 2016, 6:53:55 AM6/21/16
to BeagleBoard
because connman is installed.

try this one : sudo apt-get remove connman --purge

that will remove connman, but you need to reboot after your beagle. or you can keep it and configure your ip with connman.

lucas

Jun 22, 2016, 4:53:46 AM6/22/16
to BeagleBoard
Thank you, it worked :) I removed connman and can now set a static IP as I am used to. What is the advantage of using connman? The language on their website is a bit vague and lofty ...

Robert Nelson

Jun 22, 2016, 10:12:29 AM6/22/16
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 3:53 AM, lucas <lucas....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, it worked :) I removed connman and can now set a static IP as I
> am used to. What is the advantage of using connman? The language on their
> website is a bit vague and lofty ...

fast bootup with auto (dhcp) over eth0 (cable connected/not connected)
situations.

wlan0, easier wifi configuration.

Regards,

--