Beta board distribution -- action requested

Jason Kridner

Aug 31, 2015, 11:36:20 AM8/31/15
to beagleboard-x15
I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:

1) What your plans for the boards would be.
2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

If there is someone you don't see replying to this list that you feel should be getting a board (like a kernel maintainer that doesn't read this particular list) then don't hesitate to put them in direct CC and make the case for them. There are a couple people I'll do that for myself if I don't see them show up on this thread.

If I like your proposal, you will get a private e-mail from me with a URL to a Google spreadsheet where I'd like you to update me on your latest shipping address and phone number. There's also some info in there to help us record this as a donation to help assist the goals of the non-profit foundation, so I appreciate your help in that regard.

Please don't be hurt if you don't get a board in this round. There just aren't many to go around.

Jason Kridner

Aug 31, 2015, 11:38:22 AM8/31/15
to beagleboard-x15
By-the-way, I don't think I made it clear that I want this even if you have ALREADY provided this information to me in the past. I will be digging back through my old traffic to see who I promised boards and for what, but I am MOST likely to miss it or to decided you really aren't ready to start development. Your reply here is critical.

Leonid Bloch

Aug 31, 2015, 12:08:57 PM8/31/15
to beagleboard-x15
Hi,

To reply the points:
1) To evaluate the performance of QEMU VMs running on this board, focusing on storage applications (but not limited to them).
2) https://github.com/daynix
3) We are a very experienced team when it comes to virtualization, with several major contributions to QEMU code, and several more in the works.

Regards,
Leonid.

Philip Polstra

Aug 31, 2015, 12:56:48 PM8/31/15
to beagleboard-x15
1-Upgrading my pentesting Linux distro (Deck Linux) to work on the new hardware.  Also, producing the first ever USB 3.0 forensics device and attack device.
2-https://github.com/ppolstra multiple projects some of which are also at http://facstaff.bloomu.edu/ppolstra
3-Numerous presentations around the world on using Beagles for security and forensics (3 at DEFCON alone) and two books on the same.

Víctor Mayoral Vilches

Sep 1, 2015, 8:40:28 AM9/1/15
to Philip Polstra, beagleboard-x15
1) Build an a drone out of it and benchmark it.
3) Built several drones and robots based on the BeagleBone Black (a new one is actually being launched next week).

Víctor Mayoral Vilches
CTO & Co-Founder

Erle Robotics
skype: v.mayoral

Robert Nelson

Sep 1, 2015, 9:03:16 AM9/1/15
to beagleboard-x15
Quick note on the "beta" boards, a regulator was changed (video), so
don't run any of the "bbx15" example rootfs prior to:

2015-08-31

Here's a couple quick links:

microSD - console:
http://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2015-08-31/console/bbx15-debian-8.1-console-armhf-2015-08-31-2gb.img.xz

eMMC flasher - console:
http://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2015-08-31/console/bbx15-eMMC-flasher-debian-8.1-console-armhf-2015-08-31-2gb.img.xz

microSD - lxqt:
http://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2015-08-31/lxqt-4gb/bbx15-debian-8.1-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2015-08-31-4gb.img.xz

eMMC flasher - lxqt:
http://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2015-08-31/lxqt-4gb/bbx15-eMMC-flasher-debian-8.1-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2015-08-31-4gb.img.xz

We also have a lightly tested script, to move your running image, to
either usb or sata media, and u-boot will detect that and boot from
it.. (u-boot is still loaded from microSD/eMMC, but it'll init
usb/scsi and look for /boot/uEnv.txt in the first partition)

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Louis McCarthy

Sep 1, 2015, 11:59:46 AM9/1/15
to beagleboard-x15
1) Realtime image and audio processing with DSP core acceleration and custom daughter board
3) My expertise is in the hardware/software interaction realm. In hardware, I'm familiar with Serial, I2C, SPI, CAN, and PCB layout. In software, I'm familiar with Linux Kernel compilation, device tree, Yocto, and Qt. I could also help with verifying or proofreading the SRM and/or data sheets.

Louis

Menon, Nishanth

Sep 3, 2015, 3:30:51 PM9/3/15
to Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
For folks who would like to use kernel.org and denx.de u-boot: please pick up https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7118701/ until it is merged. (status as of kernel.org master dd5cdb48edfd Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next )

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Sep 3, 2015, 8:16:21 PM9/3/15
to beagleb...@googlegroups.com
On 8/31/2015 10:36 AM, Jason Kridner wrote:
> I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd
> like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key
> developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this
> list with:
>
> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.

The Machinekit project would appreciate a board. We are actively
working on making the HAL layer multi-thread and multi-CPU safe, and I
feel the X15 is a perfect board for developing and testing this code.
In particular, I think combined with other ongoing work integrating
Machinekit and ROS, the X15 is a near ideal academic robotics and
machine control development platform with the various ARM, DSP, and
PRU cores available.

> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit/

...with experimental stuff possibly in other person github repos
(likely cdsteinkuehler and/or mhaberler).

> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

Our existing work with the BeagleBone and PRUs, plus a general
background in real-time systems development from hardware through
application levels.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

Robert Nelson

Sep 4, 2015, 11:45:06 AM9/4/15
to beagleboard-x15
beta boards + 2015-08-31 image

a couple really important memory changes have been pushed to ti's u-boot tree:

http://git.ti.com/gitweb/?p=ti-u-boot/ti-u-boot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-u-boot-2015.07

So make sure you update the bootloader...

(This will be fixed in 2015-09-06 snapshots)

To update the 2015-08-31 image...

cd /opt/scripts/tools/developers/

sudo ./update_bootloader.sh

It'll flash r7 (or greater)

Warning: this script will flash your bootloader with:
u-boot-mmc-spl.bin: [MLO-beagle_x15_ti-v2015.07-r7]
u-boot.bin: [u-boot-beagle_x15_ti-v2015.07-r7.img]
for: [beagle_x15]

sudo reboot:

u-boot:

U-Boot 2015.07-00106-g738d3f9 (Sep 03 2015 - 11:43:47 -0500)

mike anderson

Sep 26, 2015, 7:28:10 AM9/26/15
to beagleboard-x15
1) Plans for the board
The primary goal is to develop a configuration for using OpenOCD with the Beagleboard X15 to enable debugging of both the Linux Kernel and U-Boot.

Additionally, I have a number of labs and experiments that I developed for the Arduino TRE beta test that I'd like to port to the X15 to test various capabilities of the X15

2) URL for the effort:

3)  Expertise
I have many years of Linux kernel development and a history of presenting low-level debugging techniques at ELC, ESC, and ABS.

yogi.anil.patel

Sep 27, 2015, 10:58:51 PM9/27/15
to beagleboard-x15
Hi -

1. We would upgrade our open-source neuro/cardiac electrophysiology platform (used by about 60-70 labs around the world)
3. We’ve got this that we made with the BBB: http://www.puggleboard.com

Thanks.

Jason Kridner

Sep 30, 2015, 11:15:48 AM9/30/15
to beagleboard-x15
If you talk to anyone that wanted a board and didn't reply to this thread, let them know they are hosed for a week while I'm out helping my wife deliver our first baby. For everyone else that did reply, good news, your board is on the way as of today!!

We are heavily under-represented by video people and the Kodi guys didn't follow-up. Thoughts on bringing in more people to help clean up the video experience?

John Syne

Oct 8, 2015, 3:08:54 PM10/8/15
to Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Test remoteproc/rpmsg implementation on V4.1.6-bone15. I have this working on BBB and have already added the code necessary to support BeagleBoard-x15. The code includes all the updated platform code for all processors, updated devicetree and updated devices (spinlock, mailbox, rpmsg, remoteproc).  The test comprises of loading PRU firmware and loading rpmsg_client_sample.ko, which sends 100 “Hello World” messages to PRU1 which receives and interrupt, copies the message and sends it back to the ARM which initiates a callback.

In addition, I notices that the TI V3.14 kernel does a proper shutdown so that the board consumes zero current. My plan is to reverse engineer this sequence and create a patch for Robert’s V4.1.6-bone15 kernel so that it does the same. Should be an interesting project.

Regards,
John

Gerald Coley

Oct 8, 2015, 3:25:23 PM10/8/15
to John Syne, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Zero current. That would be interesting to see.

Gerald

Nishanth Menon

Oct 8, 2015, 3:29:05 PM10/8/15
On 10/08/2015 02:08 PM, John Syne wrote:

> In addition, I notices that the TI V3.14 kernel does a proper shutdown
> so that the board consumes zero current. My plan is to reverse
> engineer this sequence and create a patch for Robert’s V4.1.6-bone15
> kernel so that it does the same. Should be an interesting project.

There is nothing to reverse engineer here:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/mfd/palmas.c#n429

There will always be some leakage as the base supplies will still be
ON to PMIC.

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Gerald Coley

Oct 8, 2015, 3:42:56 PM10/8/15
to Nishanth Menon, John Syne, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Yes they will!

Gerald

John Syne

Oct 8, 2015, 4:28:47 PM10/8/15
to Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Yeah, I realize that, but currently my BBB with V4.1.6-bone15 consumes 335mA or 1.679W after I do a halt.

With the TI kernel, I noticed that the power LED was also off, which is what I see when I hold the power button down for 10 seconds. I’m using this instrument before my BBB:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G137361754360

The display says 0.000A. Now if I was to measure the current with my 5 1/2 digit fluke meter, I’m sure we would see the current consumed by the TPS65217C which in the datasheet shows Ioff as 6uA.

Regards,
John

> --
> Regards,
> Nishanth Menon

Robert Nelson

Oct 8, 2015, 4:32:33 PM10/8/15
to John Syne, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15

John Syne

Oct 8, 2015, 5:30:03 PM10/8/15
to Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15, ger...@beagleboard.org
That is very interesting. I wonder if it would be possible to power off individual regulator outputs before initiating a TPS65217C shutdown. Could this be a work around for this issue? Also, is this going to be an issue with the BeagleBoard-x15?

Regards,
John

Gerald Coley

Oct 8, 2015, 5:32:27 PM10/8/15
to John Syne, Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
You run the risk of blowing the processor if the turn off sequence was not per the datasheet.

Gerald

John Syne

Oct 8, 2015, 5:42:17 PM10/8/15
to Gerald Coley, Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
On Oct 8, 2015, at 2:32 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

You run the risk of blowing the processor if the turn off sequence was not per the datasheet.
Well, that was my point. Currently we cannot do a full TPS shutdown because of this issue:

>> 3. All BeagleBones have a mismanaged external regulator for the
>> "3v3exp" (BBW) / "3v3b" (BBB) rail, which remains enabled longer than
>> the AM335x's 3.3V supplies ("3v3a").
My proposal was to shutdown the 3v3b regulator before initiating a TPS shutdown.

Regards,
John

Menon, Nishanth

Oct 8, 2015, 5:42:17 PM10/8/15
to Gerald Coley, Jason Kridner, Robert Nelson, beagleboard-x15, John Syne

There should not be any smps/ldo active at all after on-to-off transition is complete.

Further, comparing to bbb or am437x and x15 is not correct. They are very different system power architectures. Rtc offmode which am33x or am437x is capable of is not a target on x15 arch. So, PMIC on x15 does automatic "shut all off" sequence in the right prescribed order. This is not possible on am33x or am43x due to various levels of "off" and software optimization is done.

I am all interested in seeing if anything new can be done though.. Just highlighting that expectations should be tempered based on architecture.

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Robert Nelson

Oct 8, 2015, 5:43:27 PM10/8/15
to John Syne, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15, Gerald Coley
>> I think this is an artifact of:
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-bone-common.dtsi?id=7a6cb0abe1aa63334f3ded6d2b6c8eca80e72302
>>
>> bit long discussion about it..
> That is very interesting. I wonder if it would be possible to power off individual regulator outputs before initiating a TPS65217C shutdown. Could this be a work around for this issue? Also, is this going to be an issue with the BeagleBoard-x15?

We have a fancy new PMIC on the x15.. ;)

Gerald Coley

Oct 8, 2015, 5:44:59 PM10/8/15
to John Syne, Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Only way to do that is to shut off the 3.3VA regulator.

Gerald

Gerald Coley

Oct 8, 2015, 5:45:27 PM10/8/15
to John Syne, Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Fancy? Not exactly my words.....

Gerald

John Syne

Oct 8, 2015, 6:04:59 PM10/8/15
On Oct 8, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

Only way to do that is to shut off the 3.3VA regulator.
Yeah, and that kills everything. Oh well, it was just a thought. Would this have worked if 3V3B regulator was enabled from 3V3AUX?

Gerald Coley

Oct 8, 2015, 6:19:40 PM10/8/15
to John Syne, Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Not sure.

Gerald

John Syne

Oct 9, 2015, 1:59:47 AM10/9/15
to Gerald Coley, Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
I have two BBB A5A boards which I believe have the 3V3B regulator enable pin connected to 3V3AUX.

Running TI’s 4.1.6-ti-r14 kernel, after doing a halt, I get 0mA on one board and 136mA on the other. I am booting from SDCard (holding S2 during boot) and I’m using the same SDCard to boot both boards. The only difference I can see is the one board shows “rtc_power_ff failed, bailing out” on the last line and that board doesn’t power down fully.

Regards,
John

Matthijs van Duin

Oct 9, 2015, 7:31:41 AM10/9/15
to Gerald Coley, John Syne, Robert Nelson, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
On 8 October 2015 at 23:44, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
Only way to do that is to shut off the 3.3VA regulator.

Wait, please don't tell me you still have a 3.3V regulator enabled by another 3.3V rail on the x15 ?

Matthijs van Duin

Oct 9, 2015, 7:51:06 AM10/9/15
On 8 October 2015 at 22:28, John Syne <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
With the TI kernel, I noticed that the power LED was also off, which is what I see when I hold the power button down for 10 seconds.

Note btw that pressing the power button for 10 seconds on the BBB is supposed to trigger a reboot, not a powerdown. The only reason it powers down is because, bizarrely, the TPS65217 always switches the main power path to battery power at the start of the shutdown sequence, even if there's no battery. The SYS_5V capacitors drain too fast (unless you have no external I/O and disable the HDMI framer), the power supplies lose regulation before sequenced powerdown, and the PMIC enters FAULT state, hence once second later OFF state.

The good news is that the failing SYS_5V seems to mostly prevent damage being done by the 3V3B, although I've already seen several people whose UART0_RXD started to fail on an older BBB (this cpu pin is the worst victim of the 3V3B on a CAPE-less BBB).

Gerald Coley

Oct 9, 2015, 9:34:36 AM10/9/15
to Matthijs van Duin, John Syne, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Actually, we have a FET controlled by the PMIC to turn on the 3.3V It is called power sequencing, something you don't need in an Arduino.

On the BBB the external 3.3V is the same rail as the 3.3V power output of the PMIC. The power on the PMIC was insufficient, so I added more power capacity with an external LDO. .

Gerald

Matthijs van Duin

Oct 9, 2015, 10:37:32 AM10/9/15
to Gerald Coley, John Syne, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
On 9 October 2015 at 15:34, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
Actually, we have a FET controlled by the PMIC to turn on the 3.3V It is called power sequencing, something you don't need in an Arduino.

Thank you Gerard, but I spend many days doing nothing but power up and down a BBB with so many scope probes attached it looked like it was on an intensive care unit, and I've previously participated in a hardware design with another TI SoC. I'm well aware of their power sequencing needs, and wrote some lengthy posts about the BBB's on the beaglebone list, e.g.: https://goo.gl/TjnRzN

On the BBB the external 3.3V is the same rail as the 3.3V power output of the PMIC.

Ehh, no, since as you point out:

The power on the PMIC was insufficient, so I added more power capacity with an external LDO. .

But had trouble finding a suitable enable signal for it, hence in rev A6 returned to the same scheme used on the BBW dispite the known issue that it fails to shut off if there's any significant leakage from the regulator output to vdd_3v3a (which required a CAPE on the BBW but is provided by on-board hardware on the BBB), with as result that part of the considerable capacitance on sys_5v is discharged through protection diodes on am335x i/os every time you poweroff. https://goo.gl/yeqnmR

That's why I was worried a bit when it sounded for a moment you had a similar scheme on the x15.

Matthijs

P.S. the move of vdds to ldo1 in rev A6A also seems like a bad one to me, even though it was advised by TI so I may be overlooking something. Unfortunately, my attempt to get clarification from TI failed: https://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/p/421756/1517544#1517544

Gerald Coley

Oct 9, 2015, 10:45:30 AM10/9/15
to Matthijs van Duin, John Syne, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
We had to change the PMIC outputs on BBB to support the DDR3 configuration. AlI I had to work with was the TPS65217. There we some challenges there.

The 3.3V supply on the X15 is a 4A supply, and only one. It is enabled by an output of th ePMIC, so we have no dual supply scenario there.

X15 is not a BBB. Not even close.The power challenges are a whole lot different, like a dedicated 3.0A just for the three USB3 ports.

Gerald

Matthijs van Duin

Oct 9, 2015, 10:59:53 AM10/9/15
On 9 October 2015 at 16:45, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
We had to change the PMIC outputs on BBB to support the DDR3 configuration. AlI I had to work with was the TPS65217. There we some challenges there.

I know, power supply schemes can be a real headache. Still, it would have been nice if a solution for the 3v3b had been found that didn't hose those wanting to hook up a li-ion to the tps. (The only easy fix we found was removing the regulator and placing it by a wire tying 3v3b to 3v3a.)

Sorry I snapped a bit at you, but the "It is called power sequencing, something you don't need in an Arduino" wasn't exactly nice either.

The 3.3V supply on the X15 is a 4A supply, and only one. It is enabled by an output of th ePMIC, so we have no dual supply scenario there.

Good to hear :-)

Only 4A ? But a PCIe card already reserves 3A of that! ;-)  *duck and cover*

X15 is not a BBB. Not even close.The power challenges are a whole lot different, like a dedicated 3.0A just for the three USB3 ports.

Hehe, joy.

Matthijs

Gerald Coley

Oct 9, 2015, 2:04:34 PM10/9/15
to Matthijs van Duin, John Syne, Nishanth Menon, Jason Kridner, beagleboard-x15
Just remember, these conversations are for anyone that reads them, so education can apply to those that have not yet had it.Sometimes I just ay yes or no, and sometimes I try to explain it a little . Power sequencing has caused me more issues than I care to think about.

Gerald

John Syne

Oct 10, 2015, 3:01:22 PM10/10/15
to Jason Kridner, Robert Nelson, beagleboard-x15
On Aug 31, 2015, at 8:36 AM, Jason Kridner <jkri...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I will be sending Robert Nelson patches for his V4.1.6-bone15 Kernel.

3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.
I have this code working on BBB with the same kernel version.

If there is someone you don't see replying to this list that you feel should be getting a board (like a kernel maintainer that doesn't read this particular list) then don't hesitate to put them in direct CC and make the case for them. There are a couple people I'll do that for myself if I don't see them show up on this thread.

If I like your proposal, you will get a private e-mail from me with a URL to a Google spreadsheet where I'd like you to update me on your latest shipping address and phone number. There's also some info in there to help us record this as a donation to help assist the goals of the non-profit foundation, so I appreciate your help in that regard.

Please don't be hurt if you don't get a board in this round. There just aren't many to go around.

Thomas Ruecker

Oct 12, 2015, 4:17:45 AM10/12/15
to beagleboard-x15

1) What your plans for the boards would be.

Front questions on #beagle freenode during Europe daylight hours. Being unemployed gives me lots of time for that.
It really helps to have used the hardware for a while and have run into some problems. *cough* ROMBL partition table on OMAP4 weirdness *cough* - my run in and some observations got AV500 to find the #exactsteps to the problem.

Also I'd like to revisit my Internet-of-Toilets project. I have some TI CC2530 boards to do various measurements (including the world famous flush) and would like to try the AT86RF233 IE³ 802.15.4 receiver and BT-smart with the X15 and test the Linux kernel 6lowpan drivers for the 233 on X15.

Maybe later some I²S hacking, but no promises on that.

2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

If I find anything in the Linux driver, then it will enter through bluetooth-next, but all my personal stuff is mostly on http://github.com/dm8tbr and some on git.xiph.org (Icecast and related sources)

3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

Own and have hacked on OMAP1, 3 generations of OMAP3 silicon (Archos Gen6, Gen7, Gen8, Nokia N900, N950, N9), OMAP4 (Pandaboard, Archos Gen9, Gen10), AM335x BBW&BBB.
Prototype @IoToilets on a BBB. Some work on MQTT and other IoTish protocols.

--
Thomas

aleksandar.brain

Oct 12, 2015, 11:02:24 AM10/12/15
to beagleboard-x15
Hello Jason,

1) MikroElektronika would like to be one of the first to create a mikroBUS Cape for the X15, making sure developers have a huge portfolio of add-on boards to use (click boards)
2) We don't plan to create a new Linux distribution, but rather share source code for click board drivers on GitHub
3) We are a renowned company with 15 years of experience in hardware and software design.

If you can send us a board sample we can create a selection of 4-5 demoes to run at the launch date.

Best regards,
Aleksandar

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 5:36:20 PM UTC+2, Jason Kridner wrote:
I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:

1) What your plans for the boards would be.
2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

Gerald Coley

Oct 12, 2015, 1:20:29 PM10/12/15
to aleksandar.brain, beagleboard-x15
X15 does not support capes. This is a whole different bear. Bigger board size and different connectors.

Gerald

Bill Traynor

Oct 12, 2015, 3:47:06 PM10/12/15
to beagleboard-x15

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11:36:20 AM UTC-4, Jason Kridner wrote:
I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:

1) What your plans for the boards would be.

Testing and documentation on elinux.org.

2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

The majority will be wiki content on elinux.org, but any code would be on elinux.org's github.

3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

Years of testing and documentation of dev boards.

Tim Orling

Oct 14, 2015, 11:11:54 PM10/14/15
to beagleboard-x15
Late to the game as the past quarter has been intensely busy at work...

1) What your plans for the boards would be.

Build multimedia applications like vlc and kodi for the X15.
Help with machinekit.
Develop a bsp for OpenEmbedded.
SGX support.
DSP support.
PRU support.

2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

OE work would end up in targeted timo-xxxx branches of:

Other work would go to github:
https://github.com/moto-timo

or appropriate upstreams.

3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

I have maintained vlc for OpenEmbedded for several years and have been working to get XBMC/Kodi building as well.
I helped Elias Bakken create a meta-layer to get his Replicape images building for OpenEmbedded, before BBB went to Debian.
My day job is motion control firmware on TI DSPs.

--Tim

Matwey V. Kornilov

Oct 15, 2015, 4:05:44 PM10/15/15
to beagleboard-x15

понедельник, 31 августа 2015 г., 18:36:20 UTC+3 пользователь Jason Kridner написал:
I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:

1) What your plans for the boards would be.
2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

I would like to run openSUSE on the board and maintain appropriate official image. I have been effectively maintaining openSUSE for BBB (including updating armv7l kernel configs several times). openSUSE approach for ARM is to supply upstream components (boot-loader and kernel) for all boards. I think there are no so many openSUSE BBB users, but sometimes they appear in out maillists with questions and issues.

Andreas Färber

Oct 17, 2015, 6:47:20 PM10/17/15
to beagleboard-x15, Matwey V. Kornilov
Am 31.08.2015 um 17:36 schrieb Jason Kridner:
> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.

a) Enablement in openSUSE's Linux kernel and U-Boot packages.
(I'll happily give preference to Matwey here - he's been providing
valuable contributions, e.g., kernel config patches for AM3xxx.)

b) Testing of KVM virtualization. Requires an LPAE enabled kernel, which
we at openSUSE haven't tested any TI board with yet. Might require
U-Boot enablement for HYP mode? Would allow safely running Open Build
Service workers, among others.

c) Checking on OpenOCD status, if the JTAG header is shipped populated.
I remember seeing some TI patch activity, but no ti_beagleboard-x15.cfg
or am5*.cfg got merged yet.

However, my main interest would be the TI-specific gadgets:

d) PRU - testing drivers and gnupru binutils/newlib/gcc toolchain.
For BBB there still seemed to be a gap between mainline (uio_pruss) and
Sitara SDK (remoteproc_pruss according to TI Wiki).

e) C66x - evaluating driver and toolchain situation. There are some old
contributed packages from Beagleboard-xM, but no official gcc5 based
cross-compiler packages that I'm aware of at least.

f) Cortex-M4 - investigating a nommu Linux port. Requires the M4 to have
access to SDRAM - not quite clear from the TRM block diagram...

> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

a)
http://kernel.opensuse.org/cgit/kernel-source/
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/dtb-source
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/u-boot

b)
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/qemu
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:a_faerber:branches:OBS:Server:Unstable

c)
http://openocd.zylin.com
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/hardware/openocd

d)
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:a_faerber:pru

e)
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/hardware/dsp-tools (?)

f)
https://github.com/afaerber/linux/

> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

a) Involved in openSUSE ARM port since 2011, enabled various boards.

b) QEMU maintainer; less experience/patience with U-Boot and KVM parts.

c) Contributed configs for various ARM microcontrollers as well as a
pending OpenOCD flash driver. My soldering skills are insufficient.

d) Packaged https://github.com/dinuxbg/gnupru toolchain for BBB. PRU not
yet tested myself.

e) No contact with C66x, yet. Packaged other cross-compiler toolchains
based on our gcc49/gcc5 packages.

f) Linux ports for STM32F4, FM4 and XMC4500, including custom "afboot"
bootloaders.
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/LinuxConJP2015_ARM.final_.pdf

Regards,
Andreas

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

signature.asc

jsmith...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2015, 8:59:35 PM10/18/15
to beagleboard-x15
On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11:36:20 AM UTC-4, Jason Kridner wrote:
> I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:
>

> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.

My primary plan is to make sure that Fedora runs well on the board. Beyond that, I'd like to use it for some open source telephony projects, especially because of the on-board DSP.

https://github.com/jaredsmith, as well as any needed documentation at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

Long-term member of the Fedora ARM team, former Fedora Project Leader. Peer-recognized expert in open source telephony, published O'Reilly author.

Stephen Zhang

Oct 19, 2015, 10:11:20 AM10/19/15
to beagleboard-x15, jkri...@gmail.com
1) What your plans for the boards would be.
   Porting Android Lollipop and Marshmallow to Beagleboard-X15

2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

   We plan to put it on github.com later.

3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.
   Porting Android to DM3730 Soc and other TI Soc. Port Cyanogenmod to BBB board.
Long term working on TI's Davinci and Sitara platform.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Stephen

Robert Nelson

Oct 20, 2015, 9:37:57 AM10/20/15
to Stephen Zhang, beagleboard-x15, Jason Kridner
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Stephen Zhang <phoen...@live.cn> wrote:
> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.
>
> Porting Android Lollipop and Marshmallow to Beagleboard-X15
>
> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
>

> We plan to put it on github.com later.
>
> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.
>
> Porting Android to DM3730 Soc and other TI Soc. Port Cyanogenmod to BBB
> board.
> Long term working on TI's Davinci and Sitara platform.
>
> Thanks & Best Regards,

Stephen we are looking for an Android maintainer for beagleboard.org

Nishanth's has a tree started for Lollipop & Marshmallow

https://github.com/nmenon/beaglex15

Is this something you'd also be interested in?

Nishanth Menon

Oct 20, 2015, 11:32:03 AM10/20/15
to Robert Nelson, Stephen Zhang, beagleboard-x15, Jason Kridner, Praneeth Bajjuri
Just to add to this, I just started doing basic checkups on my spare
time with 3.14 kernel - I can definitely take all the help I can - all I
get now a days is around 2-3 hours a week to look at this. Last weekend
was mostly setup stuff. Marshmallow 3.14 is up on j6-evm so that should
give us a great starting point if folks are interested. A 4.1 kernel
variant will probably be nice as well.

[1] https://plus.google.com/+NishanthMenon/posts/irmimpNJamM

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Matthijs van Duin

Oct 21, 2015, 1:28:08 PM10/21/15
to Andreas Färber, beagleboard-x15
On 18 October 2015 at 00:47, Andreas Färber <afae...@suse.de> wrote:
c) Checking on OpenOCD status, if the JTAG header is shipped populated.
I remember seeing some TI patch activity, but no ti_beagleboard-x15.cfg
or am5*.cfg got merged yet.

Last time I tried OpenOCD it was pretty crappy in dealing with ARMv7 targets in general: it didn't properly handle WAIT responses from DAP but treated them as errors, forcing you to decrease performance to the estimated worst-case latency to avoid getting random errors. It also didn't support connecting to DAP (to gain full memory and peripheral access) without also connecting to a processor. ICEPick support was limited and messy.

Also, XDS100v2 support was incomplete due to the inability to read (let alone get events on) inputs of the FTDI chip, which made it impossible to detect target disconnected / unpowered.

BTW, I've managed to scrape together a nearly complete register map of ICEPick-C/D, so if you need it let me know.

f) Cortex-M4 - investigating a nommu Linux port. Requires the M4 to have
access to SDRAM - not quite clear from the TRM block diagram...

They have access to everything on the L3 interconnect.

Note also that they actually have MMUs... two of 'em cascaded actually: the first one ("AMMU") really limited and quirky but it is integrated with the Unicache and you need it to set the cache policy and access control, and translation of requests within the subsystem (e.g. to put local peripherals and/or local ram in bitband-capable address range). The second one ARMv6/v7-compatible (same type as the device MMUs) but only used for translation of requests going out to the L3 interconnect.

What makes things a bit more interesting is that the two cores in each subsystem cannot be distinguished by the MMUs and therefore share identical address space views (apart from their PPB).

Andreas Färber

Oct 22, 2015, 1:12:55 PM10/22/15
to beagleboard-x15, bal...@gmail.com
Am 21.10.2015 um 20:01 schrieb bal...@gmail.com:
> What openocd really, desperately needs is more people; both users and coders.
> The project is really small and the guys who are actually active in it don't
> even have access to any cortex-a targets, that makes things a little difficult
> for us, cortex-a users.

I would've worded it "reviewers". :) There's around a dozen ARMv7-A
patches waiting for review on the Gerrit site I gave the URL of.

Personally I don't feel qualified to review all of them, but if we
peer-review and +1 any Beagleboard-related configs or bug fixes we can
actually test, they should have a fairly good chance of getting accepted
sometime.

Cheers,

Tom Rini

Oct 22, 2015, 3:04:02 PM10/22/15
to Andreas Färber, beagleboard-x15, bal...@gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Andreas Färber <afae...@suse.de> wrote:
Am 21.10.2015 um 20:01 schrieb bal...@gmail.com:
> What openocd really, desperately needs is more people; both users and coders.
> The project is really small and the guys who are actually active in it don't
> even have access to any cortex-a targets, that makes things a little difficult
> for us, cortex-a users.

I would've worded it "reviewers". :) There's around a dozen ARMv7-A
patches waiting for review on the Gerrit site I gave the URL of.

Personally I don't feel qualified to review all of them, but if we
peer-review and +1 any Beagleboard-related configs or bug fixes we can
actually test, they should have a fairly good chance of getting accepted
sometime.

Having gotten a few openocd changes in I would +1 this sentiment.  Further, since we're talking on the x15 list, do we want to reach out to the openocd folks and see if donating them a board would help in any particular way?

--
Tom

Mike Anderson

Oct 22, 2015, 3:55:09 PM10/22/15
to beagleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom et al,

  Since I'm working with JTAGs, I would love to be kept in the loop on anything openOCD related that you come up with for the X15.

Thanks,

Mike Anderson

Matthijs van Duin

Oct 22, 2015, 9:07:57 PM10/22/15
to Tom Rini, Andreas Färber, beagleboard-x15, bal...@gmail.com
Just curious, did TI bother to correctly program the CoreSight ROMs this time, or is it still leaving them blank (main DAP) or with wrong content (IPU) ?

Gerald Coley

Oct 23, 2015, 8:20:37 AM10/23/15
to Matthijs van Duin, Tom Rini, Andreas Färber, beagleboard-x15, bal...@gmail.com
You need to ask your TI contacts.

Gerald

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Matthijs van Duin <matthij...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just curious, did TI bother to correctly program the CoreSight ROMs this time, or is it still leaving them blank (main DAP) or with wrong content (IPU) ?

Matt Porter

Oct 23, 2015, 11:27:10 AM10/23/15
to beagleboard-x15

[Apologies if anybody sees a duplicate post, had some "reply" issues]

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11:36:20 AM UTC-4, Jason Kridner wrote:
I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:

1) What your plans for the boards would be.

Enable the reversed engineer Android Auto headunit implementation on
X15. Support X15 on the (still very young) OpenIVI auto distro. On
another platform I'm working with this AA implementation looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro58qFlY01A

End goal is to use X15 in an open source head unit.

I also plan to investigate using NuttX on one of the M4s to handle some
safety critical features for the car. This is similar to how we use an external
STM32 for these things on a current design with another SoC.

2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

https://github.com/konsulko/headunit
https://github.com/konsulko/openivi*

3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

I have kernel experience on OMAP/AM parts, OE experience, experience with
the PRUs, experience supporting NuttX on similar Cortex-M architecture, and
experience enabling the reversed engineered Android Auto implementation on
other platforms.

Regards,
Matt

Vagrant Cascadian

Oct 28, 2015, 12:46:15 AM10/28/15
On 2015-08-31, Jason Kridner wrote:
> I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd
> like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key
> developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this
> list with:
>
> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.

Add support for beagle-x15 to Debian's u-boot, flash-kernel, enable
linux kernel configuration options in the default linux kernel shipped
with Debian, and debian-installer.

Additionally, I'd like to use it as a build node for the armhf part of
the reproducible builds project:

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/About
https://reproducible.debian.net/unstable/index_suite_armhf_stats.html

Additional boards would be helpful, not only for additional CPU cycles,
but different CPU types may help to detect software that might optimize
based on CPU (we currently have 3 IMX6 boards and an Allwinner A20
board). I heard from Robert Nelson that they've outperformed the
wandboard-quad, which is one of the more powerful build nodes.

It would also be a thorough stress-test for the beagleboard-x15, as the
reproducible build nodes run builds constantly.

> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your
> contributions.

ftp.us.debian.org, git.debian.org, if needed, getting additional patches
into upstream u-boot.

> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

I'm the current maintainer of u-boot in Debian. I've worked on support
in u-boot/flash-kernel/linux/debian-installer for the beaglebone black,
wandboard, cubieboard, hummingboard and cubox-i.

I'm host the current 4 armhf build nodes for the reproducible builds
project.

live well,
vagrant
signature.asc

Felipe Balbi

Nov 3, 2015, 4:00:05 PM11/3/15
to Tom Rini, Andreas Färber, beagleboard-x15
Hi,

if we go down that route, Paul Fertser <ferc...@gmail.com> is probably (one of)
the best contact.

Matt Porter

Nov 3, 2015, 4:00:05 PM11/3/15
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 08:36:20AM -0700, Jason Kridner wrote:
> I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd
> like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key
> developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this
> list with:
>
> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.

Enable the reversed engineer Android Auto headunit implementation on
X15. Support X15 on the (still very young) OpenIVI auto distro. On
another platform I'm working on this AA implementation looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro58qFlY01A

End goal is to use X15 in an open source head unit.

I also plan to support NuttX on one of the M4s to handle some safety critical
features for the car. This is similar to how we use an external STM32
for these things on a current design with another SoC.

> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

Matt Porter

Nov 3, 2015, 4:00:05 PM11/3/15
to beagleboard-x15

bal...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2015, 4:00:05 PM11/3/15
to beagleboard-x15, afae...@suse.de
On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 12:28:08 PM UTC-5, matthijs wrote:
> On 18 October 2015 at 00:47, Andreas Färber <afae...@suse.de> wrote:
> c) Checking on OpenOCD status, if the JTAG header is shipped populated.
>
> I remember seeing some TI patch activity, but no ti_beagleboard-x15.cfg
>
> or am5*.cfg got merged yet.
>

> Last time I tried OpenOCD it was pretty crappy in dealing with ARMv7 targets

how long ago was that, btw ? I've had good success with AM335x (cortex-a8) and am437x (cortex-a9). Others have had success with non-TI cortex-a targets.

It's certainly not perfect (cache handling needs a lot of work), but I wouldn't
say it's all that bad.

A15 should be well supported too (apart from some generic cortex-a target bugs
like the cache handling thing) and it only needs a proper configuration script.

For reference, look at how AM437x config looks like. It's doing pretty much
everything TI's GEL is doing (locking PLLs, setting higher frequencies, etc).
If that's done for other cortex-a targets, then we will end up with a pretty
good setup for cheap (and actually pretty fast) debug interface.

richard...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2015, 12:50:12 PM12/3/15
to beagleboard-x15
Jason,

I find myself rather ignorant of the intended target users of this board. I ask this because the projected price is rather hefty ("$239") and the board has some features (E.g. 2nd Ethernet port) that are not interesting to some folks.

Since I probably missed the target audience discussion, I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me .... thanks.

-Richard

P.S. Finally, someone realized that 2GB RAM is overdue on an SoC in order to run a desktop! Good job.

Jason Kridner

Dec 3, 2015, 2:22:35 PM12/3/15
to beagleboard-x15, robert...@gmail.com, phoen...@live.cn, jkri...@gmail.com, pran...@ti.com, n...@ti.com
Note that I never saw a response, so I don't think I sent a board to this individual.

Jason Kridner

Dec 3, 2015, 3:56:27 PM12/3/15
to richard...@gmail.com, beagleboard-x15
I believe BeagleBoard-X15 is good for robotics, media centers,
interactive art, machine vision, home security, industrial automation
and build servers among other tasks. I call it a no-barriers "what-if"
board. It lets you prototype things that would be out of reach with
other hobbyist-level boards based on performance, connectivity and
(soon to be) availability (ie., a readily available board used by many
different people in a large community). Things that require ultra-low
latency (ie., needs the PRUs) or really high MAC/signal-processing
like functions (ie., needs the DSPs) are especially well-suited, but
things that simply need a fast ARM CPU and high-speed I/O (like build
servers) are also a good target.

More of my marketing spiel:
http://beagleboard.org/blog/2015-10-14-beagleboard-x15/

rob andrews

Dec 4, 2015, 6:10:11 AM12/4/15
to beagleboard-x15
On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11:36:20 PM UTC+8, Jason Kridner wrote:
> I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:
>

> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.
> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.
>

> If there is someone you don't see replying to this list that you feel should be getting a board (like a kernel maintainer that doesn't read this particular list) then don't hesitate to put them in direct CC and make the case for them. There are a couple people I'll do that for myself if I don't see them show up on this thread.
>

> If I like your proposal, you will get a private e-mail from me with a URL to a Google spreadsheet where I'd like you to update me on your latest shipping address and phone number. There's also some info in there to help us record this as a donation to help assist the goals of the non-profit foundation, so I appreciate your help in that regard.
>

> Please don't be hurt if you don't get a board in this round. There just aren't many to go around.

Is there any chance of getting one of these boards for testing alternative OS's we already have a port working on the 5432 evm and agepv5

William Hermans

Dec 4, 2015, 6:10:34 AM12/4/15
to beagleboard-x15
"I believe BeagleBoard-X15 is good for robotics, media centers,
interactive art, machine vision, home security, industrial automation
and build servers among other tasks. I call it a no-barriers "what-if"
board. It lets you prototype things that would be out of reach with
other hobbyist-level boards based on performance, connectivity and
(soon to be) availability (ie., a readily available board used by many
different people in a large community). Things that require ultra-low
latency (ie., needs the PRUs) or really high MAC/signal-processing
like functions (ie., needs the DSPs) are especially well-suited, but
things that simply need a fast ARM CPU and high-speed I/O (like build
servers) are also a good target."

I'm curious how the IPU's compare to the PRUs. I'm assuming since the "IPUs" are mentioned as Cortex M4's, that they have a pipeline like most / all Cortex M based processors. Anyway, I think it would be interesting to see the differences in determinism, between these two different core types.

As far as cool uses for this board. I've been imagining a power control / monitoring system with a real time web interface. Now, by "power control / monitoring" I mean high power( kW range ) control / monitoring. Context: We're off-grid, and completely solar powered. With a ~6kW peak solar array, and 1050aH battery bank at 24v nominal. DC-DC switching solar input here with this board surely would be fun !
Message has been deleted

Jason Kridner

Dec 10, 2015, 10:44:03 PM12/10/15
to Xiang Gao, beagleboard-x15, Richard Elkins
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Xiang Gao <peter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.
> I am working one a real-time video detection project for harbor crane safety.
> OpenCL, OpenCV and more will be used. Since the most important part of this project is performance, image resolution and fps and accuracy need to be satisfactory, I will squeeze the potential of the DSP to make that happen from optimizing structure and algorithm.
>
> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
> https://github.com/fire3280/ I will share my work here once I have improvement from XM

Waiting until you "have improvement" is not inspiring and not at all
in the spirit of the community. Share now and engage the community
regarding ways to improve and make more useful to everyone.

> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.
> I have been working on XM board for a year now. As we know, XM is a good board for video processing, but when it comes to Full HD video processing, XM can't really perform that well. I was using OpenCV and DSPlink on XM for my camera project. Also, I have work experience (on F280x DSP) on I2C CAN UART ePWM and almost all functions on F280x DSP. I am currently doing maintenance on a industrial electric-powered vehicle drive board, which is mostly dsp programming in CCS and Visual Studio for UI. Also, I have side project on BBB for home surveillance, it's more like a smart home all based on BBB.

Sound like you could use some help from the community. OpenCL should
make your C66 integration easier. I don't think the OpenCV support for
OpenCL is very mature. Contributing directly to the mainline or a
highly visible fork to OpenCV the OpenCL support for X15 would be what
would be most beneficial to the community. It might "just work", but
publishing any required build steps or bug fixes into the mainline has
a lot of value.

> In addition to that, I will be publishing my paper to IEEE(http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/aboutJournal.jsp?punumber=41). Beagleboard x15 is new and so powerful to be used in real-time video DSP, as there is not many board available in the market for entry to medium developers, what I will be publishing is so beneficial to our community.

I agree.

flashp...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2015, 1:36:30 AM12/24/15
to beagleboard-x15
On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 8:36:20 AM UTC-7, Jason Kridner wrote:
> I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:
>

> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.
> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.
>

> If there is someone you don't see replying to this list that you feel should be getting a board (like a kernel maintainer that doesn't read this particular list) then don't hesitate to put them in direct CC and make the case for them. There are a couple people I'll do that for myself if I don't see them show up on this thread.
>

> If I like your proposal, you will get a private e-mail from me with a URL to a Google spreadsheet where I'd like you to update me on your latest shipping address and phone number. There's also some info in there to help us record this as a donation to help assist the goals of the non-profit foundation, so I appreciate your help in that regard.
>

> Please don't be hurt if you don't get a board in this round. There just aren't many to go around.

I've had especially good fortune getting hardware through FCC. I'd be happy to give your test reports and layouts a look if that would be helpful and it's "FCC" is still an issue.

philippe.p...@vectioneer.com

Dec 24, 2015, 1:36:42 AM12/24/15
to beagleboard-x15
Hi,

I am writing on behalf of our small startup Robotics company in The Netherlands. We are currently working on a hard-realtime robotics motion control system based on Linux and EtherCAT (we currently use EtherLAB. For best hard-realtime performance we need a multi-core system and we require two Ethernet Ports (one for real-time EtherCAT and one for non-realtime communication to higher level controls.

> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.
We would like to evaluate the board to see if it meets our performance requirements (we are aiming for 5kHz update rate with maximum 10% jitter). We are connecting to industrial components that support EtherCAT and want to control systems like robots, motion systems for flight simulators or industrial equipment. We are currently developing a low-cost industrial robot for education an small enterprises, so price is an important issue.

> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
We are posting our updates to EtherLAB to improve running realtime-servo control: https://github.com/redheli/ethercat/blob/master/etherlab_master/src/etherlab.cpp
Also we would like to share information on how to get the best realtime performance from our hardware on our website (website will be renewed in 2016, including a public git repository)

> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.
We have 4 robotics controls people on board, working on this project with vast experience in realtime systems programming (Linux RTAI, PREEMPT) and Controls Algorithms. We work on real projects worldwide, like flight simulators, giant Ferris wheels and robotic systems.

Since we are moving in fast-forward we need the evaluation board pretty soon. I am guessing the X15 would be perfect for our Motion Engine.

Best regards and happy Holidays,

Philippe
Vectioneer

lin...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2015, 1:36:48 AM12/24/15
to beagleboard-x15
1) What your plans for the boards would be.

As academic researchers on operating systems, we are particularly interested in offloading OS workloads (such as light network and filesystem services) to “weak cores” for energy efficiency. To this end, the AM57xx SoC, which embraces the efficient Cortex-M4 cores, is an ideal platform.

In the past, we have created K2 [1], an award-winning OS research project, atop Pandaboard to demonstrate that such offloading is both desirable and tractable. Now we are looking at porting K2 to Beagleboard-x15, and testing an even wider range of OS services.

Note that BBB does not work for us -- its Cortex-M3 core is confined in L4, limiting the use.

2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.

Like other top research groups, we will opensource the code on our group website [2], which already hosts multiple successfully completed projects.

3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

We have a long tradition of conducting system software research on the Texas Instruments platforms. Our research work, as exemplified by [1][3][4], has been published on premier venues. We publish our code and documentation (see these links).

http://k2os.org
http://xsel.rocks
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~mobile/downloads/ASPLOS2015/
https://engineering.purdue.edu/~xzl/xsel/projects/memif/memif.html

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11:36:20 AM UTC-4, Jason Kridner wrote:
> I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:
>

> 1) What your plans for the boards would be.
> 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
> 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

n.da...@web.de

Dec 24, 2015, 1:37:09 AM12/24/15
to beagleboard-x15
Hey, sorry I'm not sure if my last message was sent properly so I write it again.

1) I wanna use the board to do some high-speed data transfer. I get parallel data from a camera array with 40 MHz per line. I wanna use the PRU to receive that data and send it to one A15 Core via RPmsg. Then I want to let linux create image files and videos from the data and store it on SD Card. The other core shall provide an FTP Server via Gigabit Ethernet.

2) I would share everything I learn using the PRU on my github: https://github.com/UltraFX/BBoard-Parallel

3) I played around with the Beagleboard-xM and the BeagleBone white some time ago. But my expertise is mostly 32-bit Cortex-M3/M4 microcontrollers and a bit of Linux Kernel hacking.

I need a Beaglebone-x15 very soon for my Master's Thesis. So I'd really appreciate getting one of the early beta versions.

Nicolas Dammin

Dec 24, 2015, 1:37:25 AM12/24/15
to beagleboard-x15
Hello there,

1) creating a system that collects high-speed 8-Bit parallel data (Multi-camera array) at about 40 MHz, creating files out of it and provide the files via 1 Gbit Ethernet

2) https://github.com/UltraFX/BBoard-Parallel

3) I am student with a Bachelor's degree in EE and working on my Master's Thesis. I have a lot of experience in Embedded Systems (mainly 8-Bit and 32-Bit MCUs) and a bit into Linux Kernel Hacking.

For my current Master Thesis I need a development board that provides very fast GPIOs, a big buffer memory and 1 Gbit Ethernet. The BeagleBoard-x15 would be perfect for this (PRUs, Gbit Ethernet). I need the BeagleBoard-x15 ASAP because my Thesis has a deadline until March 2016!
I would share all my experiences with the PRU modules with the public.

Regards,
Nicolas Dammin

Jason Kridner

Dec 24, 2015, 1:39:35 AM12/24/15
to beagleboard-x15
Please provide a specific proposal of what code you'd contribute back per the questions. We aren't looking for people to just do testing right now.

Ben Gras

Jan 9, 2016, 6:10:51 PM1/9/16
to beagleboard-x15
Dear all,

I realize I am late to this thread. I found this thread after ordering my x-15 many months ago, and coming here to find out news about availability :-).

My primary goal in obtaining a X-15 is porting RTEMS to it. If I can get access to a beta board, I can get started sooner. So, if there are any boards still or any beta items coming in the future:

1) Make RTEMS (http://rtems.org/) run on the beagleboard-x15.
2) During development, my RTEMS repo at https://github.com/RTEMS/rtems. If and when accepted to mainline, https://git.rtems.org/rtems/.
3) I have written RTEMS support for the beagleboard xm and beaglebone & beaglebone black (am335x) already and this has been merged with mainline. ('beagle' bsp.)

Ideally I also want it to boot using the bsd-compatible-licensed bootloader umon (https://git.rtems.org/umon/), and also have the x15 running in rtems smp mode. Those I consider stretch goals, as it were, however.

kod.c...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2016, 12:17:04 PM1/12/16
to beagleboard-x15
On Thursday, December 24, 2015 at 8:39:35 AM UTC+2, Jason Kridner wrote:
> On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 6:10:11 AM UTC-5, rob andrews wrote:On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11:36:20 PM UTC+8, Jason Kridner wrote:
>
> > I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:
>
> > 1) What your plans for the boards would be.
>
> > 2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
>
> > 3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

1) developing my own version of hardware (not a cape) for cnc-ing, e.g. 3d printing and others like machinekit
2) i plan to update this one https://github.com/Noobman/RDB-STPTS-002-DIY
Note: this is not a cape, it currently uses wires of breaboard type, and can be used by any developer any board for either 5v or 3v3 boards, has features like optoisolation and mosfet drivers; not really end hardware more like hardware for other devs;
3) very few things to this area http://reprap.org/wiki/User:NoobMan also i did previous version
What i am planning to update: -not sure if lvds or other logic level would be required, but i plan to make it work with 1,8v logic, mosfets could do easy, the step signal would have to check options -planning to optoisolate endstop switches too -etc minor other stuff - will keep on diy and gplv2

I know this is probably not smth that should be on the list here but well, here it is anyway. You said anxious not worthwhile :). Also note i would do this anyway with time so im probably not a priority. Just a bit anxious about this board, expecting a good development around it coz of prus and mcus. At very least i think many ppls waiting for it.

droi...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2016, 2:14:59 PM1/12/16
to beagleboard-x15
1) eBPF byte-code compiler kernel driver for the HW packet filter engine on the AM5728.

Packet Filter Engine:

"AM572x ARM Processor Silicon Revision V1.1" section 24.11.4.9

http://www.ti.com/lit/er/sprz429g/sprz429g.pdf

2) https://github.com/zebop/x15-pkt-engine

3) Many years of OS hacking in C and assembler. Recently ported Nuttx to the TI CC3200 ARM Cortex-m4 ( https://hackpad.com/ep/pad/static/Rrol11xo7NQ )

Peter Lawler

Jul 7, 2016, 8:50:58 PM7/7/16
to beagleboard-x15

On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 01:36:20 UTC+10, Jason Kridner wrote:
I should be getting a *tiny* number of beta X15 boards on Wednesday. I'd like to minimize the turn-around from arrival with me to boards in key developer hands, I'd like for people anxious for boards to reply to this list with:

1) What your plans for the boards would be.
2) What open source repositories (URLs please) will host your contributions.
3) What expertise you have to accomplish your goals.

<snip>

Please don't be hurt if you don't get a board in this round. There just aren't many to go around.

Late to the party, but here goes anyway....

1) If a board were to ever fall into my lap, I'd work on getting the the Adafruit BBIO Python library working on it along with other people who've contributed to the library. I'd be eager to get this library working with X15 ASAP after release.

3) Not much, though I did help get the Adafruit BBIO Python library updated to work with 4.1+ kernels, so there's that.

Tony Langley

Aug 22, 2017, 12:55:32 AM8/22/17
to beagleboard-x15
Should this thread be "un-pinned" now that Rev C has been released?