Connecting a Beagle Board xM to the Laptop using Cross Over Ethernet Cable

Praveen Jain

Jun 17, 2012, 1:05:56 AM6/17/12
to beagleboar...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone !

I tried this small experiment of connecting a Beagle Board xM to my Laptop using a cross over ethernet cable. I would like to share this procedure with all of you.

Things you will need to get things working
1. Beagle Board xM (BBxM)
2. Host system (Laptop/PC running Ubuntu in my case)
3. Serial RS 232 Cable
4. Crossover ethernet cable

Procedure
1. Boot your Beagle board and establish a serial communication with the host system.
2. Connect the Ethernet port on your BBxM directly to the ethernet port on host system using the crossover cable
3. Configure the IP of your host system

ifconfig eth0 <ip_address> netmask 255.255.255.0 up

for example: ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

3. Configure the IP of BBxM through the serial console on host system

ifconfig usb0 <ip_address> netmask 255.255.255.0 up

for example: ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

4. Run the x11vnc on BBxM
5. Open the Remote desktop client on your Host system and connect to BBxM using its IP
It worked for me. I don't need a monitor with a DVI input. Now I can develop my applications on my laptop.
Hope it helps you.

Mark Yoder

Jun 17, 2012, 11:51:37 AM6/17/12
to beagleboar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting the directions.  Does then DNS work from the Beagle?

--Mark

Mark Yoder

Jun 17, 2012, 11:54:21 AM6/17/12
to beagleboar...@googlegroups.com
I just remembered, one of my students posted some instructions here [1].

Feel free to add to them.

--Mark