Welcome to BeagleBoard.org's Google Summer of Code 2018

Jason Kridner

May 7, 2018, 4:54:45 PM5/7/18
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Hello BeagleBoard GSoC 2018 students, mentors and admins,

If you don't know me yet, my name is Jason Kridner aka 'jkridner', I am a co-founder Beagleboard.org Foundation and one of your friendly admins for this year's GSoC with BeagleBoard.org.

Let me first congratulate all the 4 students that made it into the selections. Our mentors are looking forward to work with you.
Mentors, thank you again for your participation this year, BeagleBoard.org would not be able to participate in GSoC without you!

0. Intro
Over the duration of GSoC I will send out organizational emails like this one, so make 100% sure you are subscribed to the beagleboard-gsoc Google Group and check your inbox for GSoC-related messages from time to time please.

1. IRC
All students and mentors are asked and encouraged to hang out and be available in the #beagle-gsoc IRC channel on Freenode as often as you can. I'm personally shooting for "office hours" at 10AM and 10PM US Eastern time and suggest each project set some kind of daily "office hours" in addition to the mandatory weekly meetings.
Besides being able to contact your mentor directly, you will also have all the other students and mentors available to maybe help you out quickly.
We really want to see you there, do not wander off and work in isolation because we cannot run after you. Also you will be able to see what issues and
solutions other students are having and might benefit from that too.  https://beagleboard.org/gsocchat

2. Weekly IRC meeting.
There will be a weekly IRC meeting with mandatory attendance for all students and mentors every Wednesday at 1630 UTC

(for other time zones please do the math http://www.timebie.com/ https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/).

We do understand if you cannot attend the meetings for matters not under your control, but please try to be there if you can and inform us if you cannot attend.

3. Shipping of hardware
We want to send out boards as soon as possible to students.  I've placed some kind of order for all 4 students and have sent an additional shipping memo to hendersa for getting the S-n-S kit setup. Expect boards in about 1 week. Duties may need to be paid, unfortunately. I'll try to make it up to you later in the session somehow.

Please ensure your mentors have aligned with me on what to ship and where!

4. GSoC timeline
We are now in the last few days of the "Community Bonding" period, which means you should make sure that you have all the information needed so that you can start working on your project starting May 14th. Make sure you have all the needed development environment set up and working. if you have a BeagleBone already, make sure it's all up and running. Please check yourself that you are getting your hardware and if it's late, please tell us immediately! if anything is not clear, reach out to
your mentor or to me so that we can resolve all issues quickly.

5. Introductory videos
It is tradition for students to record both introductory and completion videos (slides plus audio) to YouTube or Vimeo regarding their projects. Expectation is for introductory videos to be completed before coding starts and completion videos before the final evaluation.
Example from one of this year's students (Vaisnav): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOccMBiL5s

6. that's all for now.
more to come in the next days/weeks, stay tuned !

Regards,
Jason

Vaishnav Ma

May 8, 2018, 2:36:24 PM5/8/18
to BeagleBoard GSoC
Hi,

Thank you for the warm welcome and support , I am really glad to be a part of this team.It is a great opportunity to work under BeagleBoard.org

Regards
Vaishnav

Anirban Banik

May 8, 2018, 2:59:58 PM5/8/18
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I am really excited to be a part of this organization. Hope to have a great summer working with you people.

--
https://beagleboard.org/gsoc
---

Jason Kridner

Jun 12, 2018, 4:58:03 PM6/12/18
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
First evaluations are due in two days! Don't wait, do them now!

Vaishnav Ma

Jun 12, 2018, 6:10:55 PM6/12/18
to Jason Kridner, beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reminder, did complete the first evaluation.

Regards
Vaishnav

Cathy Wicks

Jun 18, 2018, 8:02:26 PM6/18/18
to Jason Kridner, beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Beagleboard.org GSoC Mentors and Students - thank you again for getting in the first evaluations in on time last week.
Mentors - please take a look at the feedback from your student by going to the project on your view of https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/ and click on Project View overview.
Students - if you did not receive your feedback from the mentors via the GSoC system, please let me know.

Reminder of our meeting this Wednesday 11:30AM Central on the IRC chat.  Also, our next Eval for GSoC is July 9th.

Happy coding!
Cathy