Bone101 | GSoC '15 weekly report

Ehab Albadawy

Jun 3, 2015, 1:00:24 PM6/3/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Sprint 1

Well, what was planed here is to get @DiegoTc last year work and migrate it to jekyll,
but since there is some troubles in getting his work to the repo, I'll do most of the work as it goes:

Week 1

What is done:

1- Add bootstrap&Jquery 1.9.1 files to static dir.
2- Add a submodule for ace.
3- Create the code version of bonecard and test it.

Issues:

1- There were some delay in time waiting for @DiegoTc to get his patch.
2- @jadonk told me that there is two versions of bonecard with different sizes the
     large one called "zoomed", looking for it to work on its code instead doing another one form scratch.
3- Need to be more DRY in css code, and @jadonk suggested to "Inherit bonecard-code from bonecard-zoomed".
4- There is another version on ace already in static dir but it is kind of outdated, so need to use the new
     one with reasonable merge instead of using submodules.
5- Due to my exams, the output is not the best at all, and afraid that this issue will be in the next week also.

Next weak goals:

1- Fix past week issues.
2- Make a skeleton for "Create Tutorial" page.

Ehab Albadawy

Jun 3, 2015, 1:11:32 PM6/3/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com

Ehab Albadawy

Jun 11, 2015, 7:27:55 PM6/11/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Sprint 1

Well, what was planed here is to get @DiegoTc last year work and migrate it to jekyll,
but since there is some troubles in getting his work to the repo, I'll do most of the work as it goes:

Week 2

Couldn't do much on this week due to my exams(it is over now).
So same plane will be applied for the next week plus:

- Finish up with the home page.
- Get Diego's work merged with the current repo.
  -- I've added Diego to the repo and he can now commit his work.
- wrap up this sprint and get ready for the next sprint.

Ehab Albadawy

Jun 17, 2015, 12:13:49 PM6/17/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Sprint 1

Week 3

What is done:

1- Fix some issues with css code.
2- Almost finish with 'create tutorial' page ,, http://ehab93.github.io/bone101/Support/bone101/create.html
3- Diego is migrating saving tutorial as a gist script(probably will be finished with the next week)

Issues:

1- Viewing the card need more work ,, http://screencast.com/t/KGFyaOnGyedr
     was thinking of making it as a carousel and found this plugin ,, http://owlgraphic.com/owlcarousel/demos/manipulations.html
     but I realized that it would take me more work than what it is planned for it, so I decided to make it work
     for now, and come back to it later if there is enough time for it. also if any one could give me any
     suggestion on this that would be great.
2- the cover card is missing so as well deleting a card feature. I'll work on them.
3- next week I should start working on BBUI, but I have discussed this with Diego and we agreed on having
    the create/show tutorial ready and functional by the next week. so I'll switch sprints 5&6 with sprint 2.
4- Sorry for the delay on the report, but there was some issues I wanted to finish with Diego and Jason
    and there is some lag in the communication. but I'll try to avoid that next time.

Next week goals:

1- Finish with previewing the tutorial.
2- Get Diego's work merged.

Ehab Albadawy

Jun 17, 2015, 2:11:16 PM6/17/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
According to the new changes I've updated the time line please check it on the blog page
and you can find the original one on the proposal.

Ehab Albadawy

Jun 23, 2015, 5:02:22 PM6/23/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com

Sprint 2

This sprint aims to get the fundamental work/logic of bone101 done.

Week 4

What is done:

  1. Add ‘save’ feature for ‘create’ page.

  2. Build ‘my_tutorials’ & ‘tutorial’ pages.

  3. Add login session and make the gist logic work.

  4. Solve some issues addressed by Jason Kridner:

    1. Replace current jquery with 1.9.1 v and use a generic name for it.

    2. Remove zoomed version of bonecard and inherit code version with ‘.bonecard’.

    3. Replace current ace lib with the latest version and include it without using submodules.

    4. Undo “moving new included styles to the top”.

    5. Fix baseurl bug.

    6. Move Support/bone101/create.html to Support/bonecard/create/index.html.

    7. Move Support/bone101/tutorial.html to Support/bonecard/tutorial/index.html.

    8. Minimize number of included js/css files.

    9. Rename create.js to bonecard-create.js .

  5. Open PR to jadonk/bone101 to merge what is done so far(finally!).

Issues:

  1. tinymce need to be used instead of ckeitor.

Next weak goals:

  1. Finish up with tutorial & my_tutorials pages and make sure things work properly.

  2. Focus on enhancing the user experience this time

Ehab Albadawy

Jul 1, 2015, 12:51:09 AM7/1/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com

Sprint 3

Focusing on user experience this time.

Week 5

What is done:

1- Add comment feature to tutorial page.

2- Implement BBB connection to the tutorial page and run the code on it.

3- Fork a tutorial.

4- Fix some issues with the pull request and get most of the commits merged.

Issues:

1- Diego reported an issue with gist saving convention about the order of the saved cards, it seems that it is currently saving in alphabetic order, so I’ll give it a look.

2- Fork feature currently work on tutorials that is not made by the current user, need to find another way to let users fork their own tutorials.

3- most of the time goes to fixing previous commits to get it ready for the merge

so this sprint will continue for one more week.

Next weak goals:

1- Fix any related bugs to the previous work

2- add some feature like edit/delete a tutorial.

3- create a documentation for how the tutorial is saved on gist.

Ehab Albadawy

Jul 7, 2015, 8:36:24 PM7/7/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com

Sprint 3

Week 6

What is done:

1- Add cover card

2- Have a separated README file shows how to create a tutorial in gist

3- Cache tutorials using localStorage

4- Create a connection to the board from create and tutorial pages

5- Fix issue with forking own tutorial

6- Fix issue cards order

7- Add edit and delete tutorial features

Issues:

1- ckeditor have some bugs with chrome, sometimes it’s not possible to focus on it

2- Didn’t test every thing with the current week work, so I’m depending on Diego for that

Next weak goals:

1- Fix any possible issue with the previous work

2- Finish up with the current PR

3- Have some hacks with BBUI ( I still not sure about how the final look should be with bonecard )

Ehab Albadawy

Jul 15, 2015, 6:50:14 AM7/15/15
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com

Sprint 4

BBUI integration

Week 7

What is done:

1- Had some base understanding of how BBUI re-write version works.

2- Add BBUI re-write version as it is to create page.

Issues:

1- Was having some difficulties to understand BBUI code structure and how the canvas works.

2- Couldn’t work some days of these week due to holidays here in my country.

Next week goals:

1- I’ll try to understand how the original code of BBUI works and add some of its functionality to the re-write version.

2- Work on finding a way to save its config as a gist.

Ehab Albadawy

Jul 21, 2015, 4:36:58 PM7/21/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC

Sprint 4

BBUI integration

Week 8

What is done:

worked with the re-write code of BBUI, have added some functionality of the original code.

everything could be found here, https://github.com/ehab93/bone101/commit/16c2c971ab37f170e9988528fd6a711098fe250e

Issues:

having a big issue this time, I think I’ve misunderstood about what I should do these two past weeks, as I found that the required task from me to add the “rewrite” code as a bonecard, and I was focusing on migrating the original code features to the rewrite version.

Next week goals:

Have to discuss it with the mentor first, will have a meeting with him tomorrow about that.

Ehab Albadawy

Jul 22, 2015, 3:30:27 PM7/22/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC
plans for the next week will be scaling down BBUI to fit with bonecard size.

Ehab Albadawy

Jul 28, 2015, 8:25:54 PM7/28/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC, ehalba...@gmail.com

Sprint 4

BBUI integration

Week 9

What is done:

BBUI is now integrated with bonecard, have made a PR and it is still pending.

https://github.com/jadonk/bone101/pull/30

Issues:

Diego said that he is OK about what I have done but still waiting for Jason updates.

Next week goals:

I think I have done with this sprint for now, and next week will start with adding more tutorials sprint.

Kridner, Jason

Jul 28, 2015, 8:51:08 PM7/28/15
to <beagleboard-gsoc@googlegroups.com>, ehalba...@gmail.com

On Jul 28, 2015, at 8:26 PM, Ehab Albadawy <ehalba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sprint 4

BBUI integration

Week 9

What is done:

BBUI is now integrated with bonecard, have made a PR and it is still pending.

https://github.com/jadonk/bone101/pull/30

Can you provide a URL with an example and a screenshot?

Ehab Albadawy

Jul 28, 2015, 9:01:36 PM7/28/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC, j...@ti.com

Ehab Albadawy

Aug 5, 2015, 7:14:55 AM8/5/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC, j...@ti.com

Sprint 5

Refactoring some existing tutorial to the new design

Week 8

What is done:

Was working in making the new design for tutorial page to have it in the current existing tutorials.

To try it go to the listed demos in the side menu here

screan shot

Issues:

  • there is a bug with the script need to be fixed

  • I’m currently having a vacation and the internet connection is not good in here, will return back in Friday.

Next week goals:

  • there 3 or 4 tutorials remains need to be changed to the new design

  • Find the script bug and fix it.

  • Need to confirm with the mentor on how the index page will look like and wither I’ll work on on/off feature for BoneScript or no, Will talk to the mentor as soon as I could have a reliable internet connection.

Ehab Albadawy

Aug 12, 2015, 10:47:06 AM8/12/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC, j...@ti.com

Week 11

What is done:

Finished all remaining tutorials.

Made a new layout for tutorials that contains common code.

Clean up the current PR to meet with Jason specifications.

Fix some bugs with edit, create and preview pages after BBUI integration.

Disable infinite scroll and add left/right arrows navigation in tutorials page

Issues

What remains is having a any design for the home page, still didn’t figure out a new look for it. if there anyone has thoughts for it that would be GREAT!

Next week goals:

Work on homepage (hopefully I could have a good design for it)

Ehab Albadawy

Aug 19, 2015, 11:37:04 AM8/19/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC, j...@ti.com

Week 12

What is done:

Made some tweaks with the homepage

Addressed most of the comments in this PR

Issues:

Still have some troubles on merging the current RP.

Ehab Albadawy

Aug 26, 2015, 12:57:08 AM8/26/15
to BeagleBoard GSoC, j...@ti.com

Final Report

Brief description about the project:

Bone101 is a platform for creating tutorials for BBB using the power of bonescript lib and share it with the others, or fork an existing tutorial and make your changes on it. This is all done using gists.

What I have done this summer:

1- Having a new layout for Bone101 homepage (a smaller page)

Link: http://ehab93.github.io/bone101/Support/bone101/

2- Include all demos in Bonecard and add the feature to fork them to make an easy start for newbies to try it.

Link: http://ehab93.github.io/bone101/Support/BoneScript/2AxisThumbJoystick/

Screen Shot: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4296272/9485401/f0e485d2-4bb8-11e5-9380-206de5070fa0.png

3- Implement Create page for creating new tutorials, Through this page can an easy way to create tutorials for BBB and save it as a gists.

Link: http://ehab93.github.io/bone101/Support/bonecard/create/

Screen Shot: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4296272/9485446/6fb70f60-4bb9-11e5-8f93-032b9c64427e.png

4- Include BBUI to create page, yet its functionality is not included.

Screen Shot: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4296272/9485478/e1984cde-4bb9-11e5-90b7-521d043533b4.png

5- Implement Tutorial page to preview your/other tutorial.

Screen Shot: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4296272/9485603/2f1e4880-4bbc-11e5-89cd-6ce310714097.png

6- Implement Edit page, through this page you can edit your tutorials.

Screen Shot: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4296272/9485620/75bca124-4bbc-11e5-878d-c3e35db576d9.png

7- Implement my_tutorials page, through this page you will be able to see all tutorials that you have made/fork and delete any of them you want.

Screen Shot: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4296272/9485668/3e406d10-4bbd-11e5-92db-eebf4c4a45d6.png

Main Repo: https://github.com/jadonk/bone101

Forked Repo: https://github.com/ehab93/bone101

*These were the main points that I was working on through the summer. I'll soon update my blog with these changes and add more details.

Was a great experience for me to have the change to work with such a great community, hope this won't be the last and I'll try to continue contributing as much as I can. Thanks to the great support from my mentors Jason and Diego and their guidance that made it possible to complete the project. And also special thanks to av500, nerdboy and moto-timo for their help and support.

Regards,

Ehab