GSoC 2016 timeline

Jason Kridner

Jan 19, 2016, 9:31:47 AM1/19/16
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com

DateEvent
13 October, 2015Program announced.
8 February, 2016 19:00 UTCMentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
19 February 19:00 UTCMentoring organization application deadline.
20 February - 26 FebruaryGoogle program administrators review organization applications.
29 February 19:00 UTCList of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google Summer of Code 2016 site.
29 February - 13 MarchWould-be student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations.
14 March 19:00 UTCStudent application period opens.
25 March 19:00 UTCStudent application deadline.
22 April 16:00 UTCAccepted student proposals announced on the Google Summer of Code 2016 site.
Community Bonding PeriodStudents get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their projects.
23 MayStudents begin coding for their Google Summer of Code projects; Google begins issuing initial student payments provided tax forms are on file and students are in good standing with their communities.
Work PeriodMentors give students a helping hand and guidance on their projects.
20 June 19:00 UTCMentors and students can begin submitting mid-term evaluations.
27 June 19:00 UTCMid-term evaluations deadline; Google begins issuing mid-term student payments provided passing student survey is on file.
Work PeriodMentors give students a helping hand and guidance on their projects.
15 August - 23 August 19:00 UTCFinal week: Students tidy code, write tests, improve documentation and submit their code sample. Students also submit their final mentor evaluation.
23 August - 29 August 19:00 UTCMentors submit final student evaluations.
30 AugustFinal results of Google Summer of Code 2016 announced
Late OctoberMentor Summit at Google. Mentors and Organization Administrators from each participating organization are invited to Google for an unconference to collaborate on ideas to make the program better and to make new friends too!

deepak karki

Jan 20, 2016, 5:03:58 AM1/20/16
to BeagleBoard GSoC
I guess we should start adding new ideas to the list :)
Unless that has already started!

Patryk Mężydlo

Feb 9, 2016, 12:10:06 PM2/9/16
to BeagleBoard GSoC

There is no good (opensource) oscilloscope. I think it’s an interesting idea for a project. Unfortunately, a high-speed ADC is necessary. PRU would be great for communication with ADC. Trigger system, strengthening and regulating channels needs professional approach as well. It’s just a loose suggestion.

Hunyue Yau

Feb 10, 2016, 8:28:44 PM2/10/16
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
For an O-scope type application, you need more the the ADC. There is a lot of
signal conditioning (scaling, AC/DC coupling, filtering) needed. Even then,
the BW is limited. Sampling at best is around 30-50MHz using the PRU. FWIW, I
have a "high speed" ADC attached to a PRU. This is the easy part.

But keep in mind GSoC is a software targeted program. If you can keep this as
a largely software project....

--
Hunyue Yau
http://www.hy-research.com/

Jason Kridner

Feb 11, 2016, 8:06:02 AM2/11/16
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, let's not even go down this path. No hardware projects. If you want to contribute software to sigrok, propose that. Using something like the Acme capes would be rather welcome and the org could buy that. Let's not make new hardware design a requirement that will stall the project.

Jason Kridner

Feb 11, 2016, 2:01:48 PM2/11/16
to BeagleBoard GSoC
I completely reset the ideas page. I need volunteer mentors to register themselves and those potential mentors to add ideas.