BeagleBoard GPUBx - A GPU Benchmarking tool

Shreyas Iyer

Apr 2, 2017, 6:23:34 AM4/2/17
to BeagleBoard GSoC
Hey guys!
So, I have decided to work on creating sample programs for the BeagleBoard GPU, using OpenGL ES 2.0 and GLSL.

There are various parameters of the GPU which can be tested for, out of which the major parameter is the memory bandwidth. So, for this testing, we make different shaders, and calculate the efficiency of the GPU after it finishes it's computation.

  • BeagleBoard® contains an onboard GPU, capable of 2D/3D rendering, which can be manipulated through OpenGL ES 2.0. Offloading complex instructions onto the GPU from the CPU is evidently advantageous, since presence of multiple cores in the GPU, all working in parallel, would result in a much faster computation, as compared to the CPU.

  • So, through this project, using GLSL along with OpenGL ES, we develop a benchmarking suite of programs which make use of custom shaders which provide intensive computations to the GPU, at the end of which we compute how efficient the GPU was, and in turn benchmark the GPU.

  • The GPU will be tested for various parameters, with programs like:

  1. Fractal shaders, whose computation reflects the memory bandwidth of the GPU.

  2. Graphically-intensive shaders (2D and 3D) for testing the rendering capability of the GPU, which includes:

    1. Procedurally-generated terrain using noise functions (Perlin noise in particular), changing the amplitude of the noise dynamically, and checking for performance drops.

    2. Ray marching in complex 3D environments.

    3. Ocean shader, using Perlin noise and Fresnel shading.

    4. Shaders where vertex data is altered according to noise function, resulting in a dynamically changing mesh. (3D)

  3. Post-processing effects, such as Bloom, HDR, Depth of Field (DoF), and more.

I have created a small video on Youtube regarding this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKtmSPVdPw&t=6s

It would be kind of you if I had a review of my proposal, and what additional parameters are to be tested for. Thanks!