BBEdit No Longer Opens Files in Transmit FTP

TimH

Oct 3, 2012, 4:24:00 PM10/3/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Transmit FTP and BBEdit for years. BBEdit has always been my default editor for opening files in Transmit.

For seemingly no reason, I can no longer open FTP files from Transmit in BBEdit. I can open them in any other text editor -- just not BBEdit.

I've searched for the terms "bbedit" and "transmit" in the console logs and didn't seem to find anything helpful, but here are the lines that contain bbedit:

Oct  3 14:47:23 iMac.local BBEdit[24152]: The following problem(s) were encountered while loading the language module at /Users/tim/Dropbox/Application Support/BBEdit/Packages/git.bbpackage/Contents/Language Modules/diff.plist:
Oct  3 14:47:23 iMac.local BBEdit[24152]: BBLMColorsSyntax is YES, but there are no keywords or predefined names.
Oct  3 14:47:23 iMac.local BBEdit[24152]: The following problem(s) were encountered while loading the language module at /Users/tim/Dropbox/Application Support/BBEdit/Packages/git.bbpackage/Contents/Language Modules/GitBlame.plist:
Oct  3 14:47:23 iMac.local BBEdit[24152]: BBLMColorsSyntax is YES, but there are no keywords or predefined names.
Oct  3 14:47:30 iMac.local WindowServer[105]: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "BBEdit" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
Oct  3 14:47:31 iMac.local WindowServer[105]: reenable_update_for_connection: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "BBEdit" after 1.64 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

Can anyone help me?

Ken Lanxner

Oct 3, 2012, 5:04:46 PM10/3/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
How are you doing this?

In Transmit preferences, I set BBEdit as my external editor and
check the box for Use application for all files. Then I set the
double-click action for Edit in external editor.

Or from the file's contextual menu, I can choose Open with BBEdit.

Both methods still work for me and didn't change with this new
version of BBEdit.

Ken

tha...@gmail.com (TimH) wrote on 10/3/12 1:24 PM

--
Orange County Website Design
http://simplelives.com

Tim Harrison

Oct 3, 2012, 5:26:28 PM10/3/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
That setting is still correctly set. I reset it again just to make sure.

It seems to be an error of some sort that is preventing it from
but it does not open in BBEdit. In addition, if I right click on the
file in Transmit and select Open with BBEdit, it does not work, but
does work with all other text editors.

-Tim
> --
> --
> If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, please
> email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting to the group.
> Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/bbedit>

Patrick Woolsey

Oct 3, 2012, 5:31:33 PM10/3/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
At 13:24 -0700 10/03/2012, TimH wrote:
>I've been using Transmit FTP and BBEdit for years. BBEdit has always been
>my default editor for opening files in Transmit.
>
>For seemingly no reason, I can no longer open FTP files from Transmit in
>BBEdit. I can open them in any other text editor -- just not BBEdit.
[...]

I will bet a dollar to a donut :) that your Mac is running OS X 10.8.2.

Based on prior reports, we've determined, via in-house testing and
correspondence with the folks at Panic, that this problem is due to an
event-handling bug in OS X 10.8.2 (which both Panic and we have reported to
Apple).

Due to the nature of this issue, there is no direct workaround; however,
you can still do the following:

* use Transmit's "Mount as Disk" capability to attach the server as
a locally-mounted volume, from which you can open & edit files.

* open remote files directly into BBEdit via File -> Open from
FTP/SFTP Server.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hopefully Apple will correct this
bug in a future OS update.

Regards,

Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc. <http://www.barebones.com/>

Tim Harrison

Oct 3, 2012, 8:09:25 PM10/3/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Patrick,

Is there any reason it would have started out of the blue? It just
started yesterday and I'm pretty sure I updated to 10.8.2 some time
before yesterday.

In addition, why would it only cause a problem with BBEdit but not
with other software like Sublime 2?

-Tim

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Patrick Woolsey <pwoo...@barebones.com> wrote:
> At 13:24 -0700 10/03/2012, TimH wrote:
>>I've been using Transmit FTP and BBEdit for years. BBEdit has always been
>>my default editor for opening files in Transmit.
>>
>>For seemingly no reason, I can no longer open FTP files from Transmit in
>>BBEdit. I can open them in any other text editor -- just not BBEdit.
> [...]
>
> I will bet a dollar to a donut :) that your Mac is running OS X 10.8.2.
>
> Based on prior reports, we've determined, via in-house testing and
> correspondence with the folks at Panic, that this problem is due to an
> event-handling bug in OS X 10.8.2 (which both Panic and we have reported to
> Apple).
>
> Due to the nature of this issue, there is no direct workaround; however,
> you can still do the following:
>
> * use Transmit's "Mount as Disk" capability to attach the server as
> a locally-mounted volume, from which you can open & edit files.
>
> * open remote files directly into BBEdit via File -> Open from
> FTP/SFTP Server.
>
> We apologize for the inconvenience, and hopefully Apple will correct this
> bug in a future OS update.
>

> Regards,
>
> Patrick Woolsey
> ==
> Bare Bones Software, Inc. <http://www.barebones.com/>

Patrick Woolsey

Oct 3, 2012, 9:06:04 PM10/3/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
At 20:09 -0400 10/03/2012, Tim Harrison wrote:
>Is there any reason it would have started out of the blue? It just
>started yesterday and I'm pretty sure I updated to 10.8.2 some time
>before yesterday.

Yes; the problem is sporadic, so you just didn't hit it before.

>In addition, why would it only cause a problem with BBEdit but not
>with other software like Sublime 2?

Because files get handed off to them via a different mechanism.

Bruce Van Allen

Oct 5, 2012, 12:04:32 AM10/5/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
On 10/4/12 at 7:16 PM, pwe...@gmail.com (Paul Wenzel) wrote:
>I'm having the same problem with Textmate, which I have been
>using in tandem with Transmit for YEARS. I'm also using OSX
>10.8.2. It's completely disrupted my whole workflow. Super frustrating.

This sounds frustrating. If it's of any help, I am having no
problem (so far) with Fetch opening remote files for editing
with BBEdit; OSX 10.8.2, BBEdit 10.5beta.

Fetch isn't free any more, but I see there's a free 15-day
trial; I have no connection except for using it forever.

>On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:08:49 PM UTC-5, Patrick Woolsey wrote:
>>At 20:09 -0400 10/03/2012, Tim Harrison wrote:
>>>Is there any reason it would have started out of the blue? It
>>>just started yesterday and I'm pretty sure I updated to
>>>10.8.2 some time before yesterday.
>>
>>Yes; the problem is sporadic, so you just didn't hit it before.
>>>In addition, why would it only cause a problem with BBEdit
>>>but not with other software like Sublime 2?
>>
>>Because files get handed off to them via a different mechanism.

- Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_

Patrick Woolsey

Oct 16, 2012, 3:51:55 PM10/16/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
At 11:38 -0700 10/16/2012, Mark Studholme wrote:
>It's happening to me as well. Sent a bug report to Panic, no reply yet.
>Makes sense that it's due to an OS change.. I think it was the 10.8.2
>supplemental update since this combo worked flawlessly for so long.

For anyone who's encountering this problem, please see the following post
for details:

<http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit/msg/47c31678c7d93736>

>In the interm I have resorted to Transmit and Textwrangler combo, that
>works fine. (just not the Transmit/BBEdit combo)

For the record :-), both app combos are subject to the OS bug which causes
this problem.

Tim Harrison

Oct 17, 2012, 5:14:22 PM10/17/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I usually work on multiple files at once so that won't work for me.

I have noticed, however, that the problem comes and goes. Just today
it worked fine again but yesterday it didn't.

-Tim

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Lucas Young <elen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What works for me is to close BBEdit before trying to open a file from
> Transmit. I'm only able to open one file at a time this way so it's not fun,
> but it's a workaround until there's a patch.

Patrick Woolsey

Nov 5, 2012, 3:22:17 PM11/5/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
At 09:51 -0800 11/05/2012, Alejandra Carrillo wrote:
>Also happennig to me but with TextWrangler. I noticed this behaivor after
>sleep-wake, but if I log out and re log on the problem disappears.

The OS bug which causes this will happen with both BBEdit and TextWrangler.
For more details, please see:

<http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit/msg/47c31678c7d93736>
This conversation is locked