[ANN] BBEdit 10.0.2 (3079) pre-release

Rich Siegel

Aug 25, 2011, 8:12:52 PM8/25/11
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Good { morning, afternoon, evening },

We have a new pre-release version of 10.0.2, and given the
predicted weather conditions, thought it would be a good idea to
make it available sooner rather than later. :-)

Note that this is a _pre-release_ version. The intent is to fix
bugs and address areas of improvement based on what our
customers have reported. However, since the software is at this
point not fully tested, there _may_ be bugs and regressions. If
this prospect makes you nervous, then sticking with the public
release versions is your best course of action. Nobody will be
offended if you choose to do so; you're under no obligation to
install and use anything but a public release. :-)

Following is a summary of the changes in the software since the
last public release. The change notes are organized into
additions, changes, and fixes, and are annotated where
appropriate with case numbers. So if you recognize a number
corresponding to a support case that was opened for you, you can
now verify that it's been fixed correctly.

One final note: If you run into a bug in a pre-release version,
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT THE BUG TO THE LIST. This includes asking
about whether others have seen the same problem. Instead, please
send a bug report to <sup...@barebones.com> and we will deal
with it there. This will help us keep the list discussion on
topic and productive for all list members.

version 10.0.2 (3079) (8/25/2011)

Additions
---------

+ The behavior of "Open File by Name" gets some significant changes
and enhancements.

* As you enter a file name, BBEdit will search for the
name as
well as wildcard matches, and present all of the possible
matches in the name field's combo box. If the name you enter
contains wildcard characters (such as `*` or `?`, e.g. `NS*.h`
or `index.*`) then the entered name is used as a wildcard
pattern. If the name you enter does *not* contain wildcards,
then BBEdit will use it as a basis for casting a pretty wide
net.

* Search-as-you-type will first look for matches in one
of two
possible places, in order of preference: the files in
the front
(Z-order) project document; and the files in the active Xcode
project. Then, if Xcode is running, BBEdit will look
for files
in the system frameworks includes.

* If there are any matches for your typing, selecting one
in the
combo box and pressing Return or Enter will open it.

* If there are no matches for your typing, you can still search
for the file, as before. (The search will skip things
that would
have already been found, i.e. projects.)

* If you type something that looks like an absolute or a home-relative
path, e.g. `/path/to/some/file.txt` or `~/Documents/some/file.txt`,
no searching will take place, and clicking the "Open"
button will
attempt to open the file at that path, if it exists.

* If you type something that looks like a URL, BBEdit will
attempt to open it directly, or hand it off to an application
that can. File, HTTP, FTP, and SFTP URLs are all supported
internally (as are the `x-bbedit` and `txmt` schemes).

Fun things to try:

* Drag the "favicon" from your Web browser's address bar
into the
edit field, and note that the URL appears there. Now
hit the
"Open" button.

* Type "NS*.h" while an Xcode project is open (or while
Xcode is running).

* Open a project in BBEdit which contains the sources for
a Rails
app, and type practically anything.

Changes
-------

o (none in this build)

Fixes
-----

* [216850] Removed the default block-comment delimiters for
the Ruby
module, since using them with Un/Comment creates more
problems than
it solves.

* Eliminated the tendency to touch the "Not Key Shortcuts"
setup file
when starting up (and at other times).

* Browser windows (disk, Zip, results, etc) get a Text Statistics
status bar item.

=end=

The package can be downloaded from our web server:

<http://pine.barebones.com/seeding/bbedit-1002_3079.dmg>

Enjoy,

R.
--
Rich Siegel Bare Bones Software, Inc.
<sie...@barebones.com> <http://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they
sedate me.

Lorin Rivers

Aug 25, 2011, 9:05:45 PM8/25/11
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 25, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Rich Siegel wrote:

> * Drag the "favicon" from your Web browser's address bar into the
> edit field, and note that the URL appears there. Now hit the
> "Open" button.

That is frakking cool.

--
Lorin Rivers
Mosasaur: Killer Technical Marketing <http://www.mosasaur.com>

Charlie Garrison

Aug 25, 2011, 9:28:13 PM8/25/11
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,

On 25/08/11 at 8:12 PM -0400, Rich Siegel <sie...@barebones.com> wrote:

>The package can be downloaded from our web server:
>
> <http://pine.barebones.com/seeding/bbedit-1002_3079.dmg>

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /seeding/bbedit-1002_3079.dmg on this server.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at pine.barebones.com Port 80

Charlie

--
Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garr...@zeta.org.au>

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

marty

Aug 27, 2011, 1:01:06 AM8/27/11
to BBEdit Talk
Heya, Rich.

Any chance you could allow us to toggle the new "black and white"
pointer off and on in the Preferences? Or maybe even just all black
or all white?

I'm thankful for your efforts in addressing the dark pointer on dark
backgrounds issue, but this new pointer is almost impossible (at least
for me) with light/white text on a dark background. I'd prefer to go
back to the black cursor if I could.

Thanks for listening!
This conversation is locked