BayeOpt stuck at local optima

wqi

Jul 8, 2016, 3:09:17 PM7/8/16
to BayesOpt discussion
First of all thank you for providing this wonderful tool.

I've just started using it for my research which involves optimizing black-box problems.
The first problem (8-D) blew my mind, BayesOpt was able to locate the best design faster than my previous genetic algorithm trial.

But something is happening for my second (11-D) design, it seems to get stuck at a sub-optimal point and started the parameter fine tuning (exploitation) thereafter.
My intuition is that my optimization problem resembles a 11-D version of the Ackley function...

Here are the key settings of this algorithm:
------------------------------
n_iterations=400
n_inner_iterations=500
n_init_samples=100
n_iter_relearn=1
init_method=1
surr_name=sGaussianProcess
sigma_s=1
noise=1e-10
alpha=1
beta=1
sc_type=SC_MAP
l_type=L_EMPIRICAL
l_all=0
epsilon=0
force_jump=10
kernel.name=kMaternARD5
kernel.hp_mean=[1](1)
kernel.hp_std=[1](10)
mean.name=mConst
mean.coef_mean=[1](1)
mean.coef_std=[1](1000)
crit_name=cEI
crit_params=[0]()
---------------------------------

I've already tried Hedge criterion, not much improvement was observed. Now I'm considering the annealed version of EI which seems to indicate later exploitation.

Any suggestions on how I can configure the algorithm would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance!

Ruben Martinez-Cantin

Jul 11, 2016, 1:06:27 PM7/11/16
to BayesOpt discussion
Hi,

The exploration/exploitation tuning can be problematic for some
functions. That's why BayesOpt is so customizable. The annealed EI can
be a good approach. I would also suggest using L_MCMC, trying
different surrogates or kernels, changing the kernel prior, etc.

Probably you don't need that many init samples.

Best,

Ruben