Mixture of continuous and discrete hyper parameters

Safoora Yousefi

Apr 11, 2016, 1:03:36 PM4/11/16
to BayesOpt discussion

Hi
What is the best way to tune a mixture of continuous and discrete hyper parameters for a cost function? For example in a neural network, the number of layers is discrete but the learning rate is continuous, but in the python wrapper I can see a continuous-only and a discrete-only optimizer.

Best,
-Safoora

Ruben Martinez-Cantin

Apr 15, 2016, 11:28:43 AM4/15/16
to Safoora Yousefi, BayesOpt discussion
Hi,

Currently BayesOpt does not support joint continuous/discrete. You can
try doing it by hand by rounding or some other heuristic.

Best,

Rubén