Stepper problem

Ken Snyder

Mar 4, 2015, 3:28:38 PM3/4/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I'm building a new printer using an Azteeg X3 Pro board running Repetier firmware 0.92  and host.  I'm also using the same stepper motors and leadscrew that I've used for years on my other printers, so nothing new to calculate for steps/mm.

The problem is that the carriage moves about 63.5mm on a command to move it 100mm.

I've slowed the movements down so they are not making any noise and not misstepping.
I've swapped the motor out.
I've swapped the motor controller out.
I've set the jumpers to 1/8 instead of 1/16 stepping and it travels 127mm, (double) as predicted.
When I had this printer run by Arduino/RAMPS and Pronterface, the movements were spot on.

Anybody have a clue or have any experience with either Repetier or Azteeg X3 Pro?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Snyder

Mar 4, 2015, 3:28:42 PM3/4/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

zohar golan

Mar 4, 2015, 9:30:47 PM3/4/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Ken,

Is your steps per mm the same. You probably need to adjust it in the new firmware

Ken Snyder

Mar 4, 2015, 11:08:33 PM3/4/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

The steps are set the same as they are for my other printers,  125.98 steps / mm for for a 1" lead at 1/16 stepping.

On Mar 4, 2015 6:30 PM, "zohar golan" <zohar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Ken,

Is your steps per mm the same. You probably need to adjust it in the new firmware

John England

Mar 5, 2015, 12:48:48 AM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Is the Azteeg maybe set to a different level of microstepping?

Ken Snyder

Mar 5, 2015, 1:03:10 AM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
That's what I was thinking, but I've got MS3 jumpered for 1/16 stepping according to the SD8825 user guide here:

Am I reading it wrong or something?  I was hoping that the 63.5mm instead of 100mm would be a clue to somebody.

Ken

matthew bennett

Mar 5, 2015, 1:59:11 AM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Looks like you're doing everything correct to me.  I don't see anything strange about this board or the 8825s, except the digital voltage adjustments.  I doubt that would cause a nice round error like yours.

Their support forums are non-existent, and the helpdesk articles are pretty bare, as well.  Not too many clues available.

The dude does seem to be into expensive watches... http://files.panucatt.com/pub_img/

One (crazy) idea would be to try Marlin, just for kicks.  Just to see if it moves the same amount...

John England

Mar 5, 2015, 2:56:28 AM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, you also know the ratio of the desired move compared to the actual move, so you could adjust your values accordingly. Pretty hacky solution, though...

William Green

Mar 5, 2015, 10:51:57 AM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I find it interesting that 63.5 mm would be 8000 steps.  (Actually 7999.73 steps, but measurement error would account for the difference.)   This makes me suspect that your firmware is using 80 steps/mm even though you are trying to set it to 125.98.
In your position I would do my best to verify that I am actually saving new values for the steps/mm.   Try changing the steps/mm setting to something different (like 40) and see if your distance traveled stays the same or changes.

Elliot

Mar 5, 2015, 1:19:03 PM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
How are you setting the steps/mm ?  M92 ?

Ken Snyder

Mar 5, 2015, 5:41:47 PM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Problem is solved.  Thanks everyone.  Bill, you were right about the 80 steps/mm.  That reminded me that 80 was the default value in the Repetier online firmware config form.  I had earlier just accepted the defaults when trying to troubleshoot this crappy board.  Another default was to have the EEPROM setting on.  It was taking the old default steps/mm and ignoring what I was uploading in the firmware.

Thanks for the M92 gcode command Elliot.  I was able to quickly test it with that.

Ken

Elliot

Mar 5, 2015, 6:20:57 PM3/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com