Stepper driver comm protocol (Pololu, etc.)

John England

Jun 9, 2015, 5:03:56 PM6/9/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com, machi...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I was just tossing an idea around in my head, but I don't yet have the
experience to really answer my own questions about it.

I am planning to use my CRAMPS board to drive the CNC mill I'm planning.
I already have DRV8825 drivers in the sockets which will do the trick.
But, I have access to several high current, 5-phase drivers from Vexta,
as well as Vexta 5-phase steppers (see pics). Does anyone know if it
would be possible to output from the CRAMPS board straight to the Vexta
drivers rather than the Pololu's? I see some common pins, like step,
direction, and sleep ("all windings off?"), but I have no clue if this
linking would even be feasible.

If it matters, this would likely be run using the latest Machinekit
image and linuxcnc.

Here are the relevant spec sheets I have been able to track down:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/pdfs/opmanuals/HP-4154E.pdf
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/pdfs/connection/CSK5_connection_operation.pdf
http://www.techniscribe.com/cfk.pdf

Thanks!