Best practice for unspooled filament

jorwex

May 27, 2015, 3:48:08 PM5/27/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Background: my filament spools ride on 608 bearings on top of my Graber-style printer.

I have a 1 lb coil of unspooled Ultimachine filament and was waiting for an empty spool on which to put it. I intended to do something like this to use it: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16758

Before I permanently changed my only empty spool, I thought I'd poll some veteran printer folks to see what the best practice may be.

Any better, easier, or more elegant ideas than the above Thing?

Thanks,
Jordan

Elliot

May 27, 2015, 8:10:23 PM5/27/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Jordan,

I can bring some empty spools for you tonight, if you're going to be there and might find them useful.

Elliot

Jon Pannell

May 27, 2015, 9:48:28 PM5/27/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I've always re-spooled my loose filament with a cordless drill and some adapters. Let the filament coil spin on something near its ID while you wind it with the drill onto the empty spool.  I suggest wearing leather gloves to while guiding the filament!

-Jon

jorwex

May 27, 2015, 9:58:41 PM5/27/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hmm drill method is intriguing. I may have to look on YouTube for an example.

Elliot -- Thanks for the offer but I won't be able to attend tonight. Have you found any filament vendors whose spools don't fit up top of our modified Grabers?

Thanks guys

Elliot

May 27, 2015, 10:00:22 PM5/27/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
So far I've only used velleman, zeni kinetic, and proto paradigm spools.  They all fit the graber mounts that I laser cut, with a minor adjustment of loosening the spool mount a little for one (I can't remember which.)