more free filament samples

wolfmanjm

Aug 5, 2015, 4:11:50 AM8/5/15
to Bay Area RepRap
I have some 1.75 black ABS from atomicfilament.com to give away (actually 1kg, so quite a lot !).

I still have some of the 1.75 PLA left for samples too.

Please let me know if you will be at the meeting tomorrow and want some.

If no one is interested I may skip it this week :)

Thanks

Damon Li

Aug 5, 2015, 7:31:37 PM8/5/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Tomorrow we have kids robotics team visiting.  They would love to get some free PLA samples.

Thanks,

Damon

wolfmanjm

Aug 5, 2015, 9:26:39 PM8/5/15
to Bay Area RepRap
Next week :) I'll probably skip this one tonight.

kongorilla

Aug 12, 2015, 12:14:25 PM8/12/15
to Bay Area RepRap
Has anyone printed with Atomic Filament's ABS yet? I need to buy some black ABS, and would give their filament a try, but their recommended printing temps (230-255 C) goes into a range that'd be hazardous for my ol' j-head. It seems I'm always printing at the low end of such recommendations, sometimes even below them, so I'd probably be OK with the Atomic ABS, but I'd appreciate hearing any experiences you guy's have had with your samples so far.

Thanks,
-k

Bill Seiler

Aug 12, 2015, 12:15:48 PM8/12/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Pla works good!

wolfmanjm

Aug 12, 2015, 2:10:02 PM8/12/15
to Bay Area RepRap
I can bring a sample of the atomicfilament ABS tonight if you are there. You can try it.

I haven't used the ABS but the PLA prints at much lower temps than any of my other filaments.

jorwex

Aug 12, 2015, 3:42:10 PM8/12/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
The website mentions 190 drug C at the low end of the PLA temperature range. I use 185 with my ProtoParadigm and I've been thinking about lowering it to reduce oozing.

What temperatures have you been using with the Atomic PLA?

Jordan

Bill Seiler

Aug 12, 2015, 4:33:32 PM8/12/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I printed with the Atomic filament at 195C.  Really liked the Yellow!

I won't make the meeting tonight.
The Perseids meteor shower is tonight.
I will be doing Astronomy.
See you all next meeting.

wolfmanjm

Aug 12, 2015, 6:31:05 PM8/12/15
to Bay Area RepRap
I had to print Protoparadigm at 200 - 205 otherwise it was brittle and delaminated between layers.

I have been printing the atomicfilament PLA at 185, it is solid and is well stuck to each layer. It does not ooze.

I suspect your temperature readings are reading 10-15° lower than the actual temperature in the meltzone if you think you are printing PP at 185.

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 1:11:50 AM UTC-7, wolfmanjm wrote:
I have some 1.75 black ABS from atomicfilament.com to give away (actually 1kg, so quite a lot !).

I still have some of the 1.75 PLA left for samples too.

Please let me know if you will be at the meeting tomorrow and want some.

If no one is interested I may skip it this week :)

Thanks

jorwex

Aug 12, 2015, 6:57:00 PM8/12/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I'm sort of derailing the thread, but now I am super curious. I have calibrated my extruder in the past by doing several rounds of auto tuning at 185 degrees with Marlin, ie "M303 E-0 C8 S185"

Any suggestions at getting ground truth? I suppose I can try to aim my IR temperature sensor at the muffler cement holding my extruder thermistor in place.

Thanks,
[...]

wolfmanjm

Aug 12, 2015, 8:18:09 PM8/12/15
to Bay Area RepRap
Well actually knowing the absolute temp is probably not that important, but if you wanted to you would need to put a thermo couple in the melt zone of the hotend.
I think it is more important to get consistent temperature readings, given the inaccuracy of the thermistors used and the conversions used it is not surprising that the temps are off by around 10° ar the 200° region (betas are only accurate/defined for 25° to 100°)

wolfmanjm

Aug 12, 2015, 8:19:47 PM8/12/15
to Bay Area RepRap
My test for best extrusion temperature is to print the thin walled _40x20.stl (single wall). If I can pull the layers apart then it was extruded too cold. if it is warped it is too hot :)

You Nicole

Mar 4, 2016, 10:04:59 AM3/4/16
to Bay Area RepRap
Hello,we are Chinese supplier of 3d filaments.Our filament run well with Makerbot Replicator,Ultimaker,Flashforge and so on.
   1.75 mm /2.85 mm/3.00 mm filament can be supplied.
    Net weight : 1kg /2.5kg /5kg
    If any filament needed,pls contact us ,thanks.

Bill Seiler

Mar 4, 2016, 10:41:05 AM3/4/16
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Please send free samples.  I will distribute the samples to our members at our club meeting on the next Wednesday night.  Our 3d printer club is called Bay Area Reprap User Group.  Search Google Groups for our club.
Thanks
Bill Seiler
300 El Pueblo Rd, Suite 100
Scotts Valley, CA 95066, USA