3D Printing Events this Week

Ken Snyder

Mar 26, 2018, 4:27:38 PM3/26/18
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Reminder: there are two 3D printing events this week.  The first one is this Thursday at De Anza College.  They are putting on a CAD and 3D Printing event.  It is this Thursday, 3/29, from 3-8:30pm.  They have a great engineering program and a number of 3D printers.  I'll be there with my Go Big 3D printer.

The second event is the 3D Printing Showcase at the Sunnyvale Public Library this Sunday, 3/31, from 2-5pm.  Some libraries offer 3D printing services for free.  The Sunnyvale library is one of them.  We're happy to be part of their 3D printing ecosystem.  We have 9 people showing 12 different printers, see the list below.  In addition, some of the exhibitors have agreed to demonstrate various CAD programs.

Hope you can make one or both of the events.

  • ATTENDEE          PRINTER
  • Ken Snyder         1 Go Big 3D Printer
  • Bill Seiler             1 Rostock, 1 cartesian/Prusa style kit
  • Chris Fulmer       1 Solidoodle conversion, 1 Rigidbot refurbished printer
  • Revar Desmera  1 experimental
  • Leland Wallace   1 custom 3D printed printer
  • Keith Rogers       1 Felix, 1 extended Rostock
  • Walter Hsiao       1 cartesian
  • Kenneth Jiang     1 Prusa i3 clone
  • Maya Lim             1 Rebel bio-printer

John England

Mar 26, 2018, 11:44:47 PM3/26/18
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, Ken. I'm signed up for the one at De Anza. Didn't realize you would be there. Very cool!

Ken Snyder

Ken Snyder

Mar 27, 2018, 12:46:53 AM3/27/18
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Correction!  The 3D Printing event at the Sunnyvale Library is this SATURDAY, not SUNDAY.  It is still 3/31, 2-5pm.

John England

Mar 27, 2018, 1:14:25 AM3/27/18
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Nope, just an attendee. I'm going to learn more about industrial use cases for additive manufacturing. My company might be considering adding an HP Jet Fusion printer to our machine shop and I'd likely be the one spearheading that project with the shop manager (I think he'll be there so I'll introduce you). We're not thrilled by the 0.008" max tolerance, but I think there are still some good application possibilities, and the 15"x15"x14" build volume opens up a bunch of options.

Curious to hear how they're using AM at Google, and I look forward to seeing the latest incarnation of your printer!

Ken Snyder

Mar 27, 2018, 2:55:32 AM3/27/18
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I can see the speakers.  I'll probably be in my booth space.  You'll have to fill me in.

I'll have to take a close look at the HP printers' technology.  Looks like they have one for as low as $20,000.  That 0.008" (0.2mm) tolerance is not too good.  I guess it's because of the "Jet" technology they're using.  But they gain speed and multicolor.

I'm going to try some linear guides for the Z axes instead of the OpenBuilds extrusions.  I've been sick for the last week, so I won't get that done until next week.  I'm also going to be making some custom PCB's to manage all the wires and connections on top of the X carriage.  I'll have all the changes done by Maker Faire in May.

I look forward to seeing you on Thursday.

Ken