Large spools filament providers

Ken Snyder

Dec 3, 2015, 8:58:45 PM12/3/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know of good filament vendors/manufacturers that offer larger than normal 1Kg spools?    I know it was rumored that Mike at Atomic Filament says he offers them, but they are not on his website and I can't get a price from him on phone or email.  Plus he only offers black and white in 3.6Kg spools.

Ultimachine offers 5 lb spools for over $100!  Good stuff but pretty pricey.  That's about 150% per pound of their already over priced 1Kg filament spools.

Any other options?

Thanks in advanced,
Ken

wolfmanjm

Dec 3, 2015, 10:56:48 PM12/3/15
to Bay Area RepRap
Ken, atomic filament should supply any color at pretty much any size you want, let me know and I'll ping him for you. He has been not feeling well recently so that may be the issue.WHat size spools do you want? I know he had some massive ones.

Ken Snyder

Dec 4, 2015, 12:24:02 AM12/4/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Thank Jim, we finally connected.  He's making his translucent Ruby Red now and will make the translucent Sapphire Blue next.  I'm picking up 2 3.5Kg rolls in PETG, one of each for an excellent price.

Message has been deleted

Ken Snyder

Dec 4, 2015, 8:32:17 PM12/4/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but I think Atomic is the way to go.  Ultimachine has good and consistent plastic, but Atomic's is better.  Plus you get 7.7 lbs for less than what Ultimachine charges for 5 lbs.  I was just having trouble ordering sizes that weren't on their website.  Hopefully if more people order large spools from Atomic, he'll keep more in stock.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 7:00 AM, adam paul <adam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ultimachines carries larger spools also.
https://ultimachine.com/content/pla-175mm-black-5lb-spool-0

adam paul

Dec 12, 2015, 10:14:47 AM12/12/15
to Bay Area RepRap
This just came up in the wanhao group, https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament?t=1.75mm%20PRO%20Series%20PLA

10# spools for 155$

Ken Snyder

Dec 13, 2015, 12:30:10 AM12/13/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
That's $34/Kg, which is a little high, about what I would expect.  Ultimachine PLA is $46.90/Kg on their 5 lb. rolls.  Even their 1 Kg. rolls are $46!  It's good plastic, but I think they are pricing themselves out of the market.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 7:14 AM, adam paul <adam...@gmail.com> wrote:
This just came up in the wanhao group, https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament?t=1.75mm%20PRO%20Series%20PLA

10# spools for 155$

zohar golan

Dec 13, 2015, 12:44:52 PM12/13/15
to Bay Area RepRap
Ken,

You are using 3mm filament, right?
I didn't see any 3mm in Atomic's website. only 1.75 and 2.85. are you using the 2.85 with your 3mm setup? Jim is pushing them so hard that I would like to try them

Zohar

M Doty

Dec 13, 2015, 12:57:57 PM12/13/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

I have an assortment of 3mm abs in a bunch of different colors to sell. I use smaller stuff now.

zohar golan

Dec 13, 2015, 1:37:40 PM12/13/15
to Bay Area RepRap

Thank you Mike,

I am trying to find a reliable vendor for all of my printing needs. So far hadn't found good quality reasonably prices reliable vendor.

Ken Snyder

Dec 13, 2015, 3:00:46 PM12/13/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Zohar,

I'm using 1.75mm on my new printers since they are both bowdens.  I tried a bowden setup with 3mm, but the tube was too stiff.  It looks like a lot of companies are phasing out 3mm anyway.  I used the 2.85mm with my 3mm setup on my old printer.  Just tell your slicer it's 2.85mm.

If you're looking for a great plastic and good price, you should try Atomic.  I got a sample from Jim and printed one of those swirling urns from Thingiverse.  I usually have trouble printing the transition point near the top where it goes from octagon to circle, so it was a good test.  The Atomic plastic did it perfectly.  The print also came out very shiny and strong.

Atomic has the best plastic I've tried, period.  It also sells at a great price, $30/Kg, which includes free shipping.  He's located in So. Cal. and makes his own filament, he's not just a distributor.  I spoke with the owner Mike on the phone at length and came away understanding a lot more about making filament and knowing that Mike knows his stuff.  I don't want to give away his trade secrets, but he told me enough to  convince me of the reasons why his plastic is better.  And so far my prints with Atomic plastic bear that out.  That huge 18" vase I did on my "big" printer was done with Atomic filament.  I think you saw how good that came out.

I can talk to you more about it at the next meeting.  I'm testing Atomic's PETG plastic now.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

M Doty

Dec 13, 2015, 4:14:05 PM12/13/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Sure. This is a one off. I'll be at Hacker Dojo tomorrow night for Silicon Valley Space meetup if anyone is interested. Also probably in San Jose during day on 17th.

M Doty

Dec 13, 2015, 4:15:01 PM12/13/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

I'm willing to prorate at   at current bulk price, have scale.

zohar golan

Dec 13, 2015, 8:37:47 PM12/13/15
to Bay Area RepRap
Ken,

So for printing 2.85mm you only need to change the slicer settings? 3mm setup will work with no problems?
I am definitely prefer to work with domestic manufacturer if the price is good. This was the reason I was pushing ZeniKinetic to the group. It looks like they are out of business thou, so I will be happy to try Atomic.

Ken, Jim,
Do you think we can get a discount for the end of the year group buy? maybe $25 a roll?

Zohar

adam paul

Jan 27, 2016, 6:58:16 PM1/27/16
to Bay Area RepRap