Changing filament

jorwex

Jun 18, 2015, 6:56:57 PM6/18/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I'm about to change out a filament spool for another color for the first time.

I'm going from black ProtoParadigm 3mm PLA to either natural or clear blue UltiMachine 3mm PLA. (does this matter?)

Other than maybe tweaking the temperature so the new filament doesn't ooze out of the hotend, do you find any other settings may need to be changed? Like the E steps/mm maybe?

Or do you really swap spools and go without changing settings? I think ProtoParadigm and UltiMachine are pretty comparable.

Thanks,
Jordan

Elijah Post

Jun 18, 2015, 7:12:33 PM6/18/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
nope. you're good. Unless there is a serious change in diameter, which, given the consistency of both brands afaik, should not be an issue. Temperature may not even be an issue, though that is certainly worth checking.

Elijah Post
Marketing
--
Type A Machines
Build Great Things

jorwex

Jun 18, 2015, 7:39:24 PM6/18/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Good deal. I would've thought big differences in pigment (or lack of pigment in the case of "natural") regardless of brand would make a difference.

Thanks Elijah.

Jordan

Elijah Post

Jun 18, 2015, 7:42:29 PM6/18/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Good thinking; I've definitely seen that happen on a Thingomatic a could years ago when filament was less consistent. IIRC I saw a 40 degree difference in temperature between white and black ABS. (Where white needed 200 and black needed 240 - same supplier even!)