New Marlin - hotend melted

zohar golan

Apr 1, 2014, 12:03:36 PM4/1/14
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Since the printrboard variation of Marlin does not support second serial port, I decided to change to Arduino Mega for the development of my Android application "3D Printer Buddy". I replaced the controller board on my KISStrap from printrboard to Arduino mega. I loaded the latest Marlin and the thermistor setting were incorrect (set to -1 which means thermocoupler). The heater worked in open loop and melted the hotend.
I fixed the parameters in Marlin, but still looks like the hotend is getting too hot and finally the firmware is sending a message ERROR0: Extruder had stopped temperature too high (something along those words).

I think either I am connecting the hotend to the wrong FET, My thermistor is bad, The FET is shorted, or something is wrong in Config.h .

I am using board number 35 in the Marlin configuration as I only have a hotend and one fan. What port should I connect the hotend to? I've connected it to D10 which is the top corner pair of terminals.

Thank you,
Zohar

Bill Seiler

Apr 1, 2014, 2:45:35 PM4/1/14
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
My Hot end on Kossel is also connected to D10.

zohar golan

Apr 3, 2014, 12:14:07 PM4/3/14
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I've figure out the problem.
I've installed Marlin on an Arduino Mega 256 with Ramps 1.4. I've set the board type to 35 as I only have hotend and fan. I connected the hotend to terminals D10 as in board type 33 . After issuing a G28 command (Home), the FET connected to D10 is enabled and the hotend is heating in open loop. Two things have happened as a consequence: My hotend had melted, Marlin sends a message, something along the lines "Error0: extruder1 stopped, hotend temperature too high".
If I am selecting board type 33, There is no problem
I've opened up a bug to the marlin folks

Zohar