large mill

Ken Snyder

Dec 8, 2015, 11:12:20 PM12/8/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Anybody know of a machine shop in the south bay area that can surface end mill a sheet of 1/4" x 25" x 25" aluminum?

Thanks,
Ken

Chris Fulmer

Mar 23, 2016, 2:04:13 PM3/23/16
to Bay Area RepRap
Ken,
I will have the thread milled heater block with me at the meeting tonight, and we can talk about the aluminum plate.

Chris Fulmer
Solidoodle

Ken Snyder

Mar 23, 2016, 4:59:47 PM3/23/16
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Sounds good.  See you tonight.

Ken

Avery Nisbet

Mar 24, 2016, 1:18:51 PM3/24/16
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

If you use a large fly cutter 5+inch or so, a Bridgeport could probably pull it off. Most are some where in the high teens for the short axis. You would have to go pretty low on your feed rate which would yield a nice finish anyway.