Printrbot Simple kickstarter version to modern version

Derrick Schneider

May 17, 2015, 11:38:09 PM5/17/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
All,

A friend of mine participated in the Printrbot Simple Kickstarter way back when and was very unsatisfied with what he got. So he basically never took it out of its box. I offered to take it on and get it running for him as a learning thing, so now _I_ have said box.

I understand the Simple kickstarter, right out of the gate, left something to be desired and has since been upgraded and what-not.

The question is: Anyone here have experience with anything within the process? There's no time line on this project, so it's okay if it will take a while.

Eugene Roy Sherrill

May 17, 2015, 11:49:55 PM5/17/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
i tutored a student in starting 3d printing i helped him select the printrbot simple metal kit. they upgraded the assembly video to make it easier to assemble but this teenager i guided had it together in an afternoon on his own. if you look on the website printrbot.com for the assembly videos you should have it together in 3 to 4 hours or less.

Eugene Roy Sherrill

May 17, 2015, 11:52:04 PM5/17/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
i am actually looking at buying the simple myself. outfit it with the kits i saw at makerfair this year for printing silicon and for the frex filament.it he ants to sell the kit let me know.

Derrick Schneider

May 18, 2015, 12:02:06 AM5/18/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I know the new systems are much improved, but this is the original (kickstartered) Printrbot Simple (not metal, not new). So it's really "how do I get from what I've got to the pre-Metal greatest?"

Thanks

Eugene Roy Sherrill

May 19, 2015, 2:20:49 AM5/19/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
i gather its the plywood version. there is no way to tell without examining it first hand. the only difference as far as i know between the original 399kit and the current one is the auto bed leveling senser and the mount for the print head. the new aluminum print head is different and the bed level sensor beside it that plugs into the same controller. to upgrade it buy the aluminum print head upgrade with the bed leveling sensor.