2014/04/09 San Jose Meeting Summary

Elliot

Apr 10, 2014, 11:26:45 AM4/10/14
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com, Tiffa Foster
Attendees:

Bill S
Dan ?
Elliot F
Zohar G

Events:

A small turnout, but a fun night, here's a rundown of things from my
perspective:

Bill S came with his kossel that has the force sensors for probeless
auto-leveling. That turned out to have some interesting side effects:
* You need to have your nozzle heated up
* If you heat your nozzle up, you should probably retract to avoid ooze
* When you auto-home, the head can leave little dots of plastic
where it samples the bed (not sure if this is true even with
retraction)
* When printing, the head can hit one of those dots and knock the
unconstrained bed around.
Bill was trying to print bed retainers when the last one happened.

Dan came with his Mendel90 and custom PG35L-based coldend as well as a
custom compact hotend, and ran into some issues while printing out a
newer version of the coldend. His Mendel90 also had his fume/particle
filter attached, which was cool to see. Some good discussions were
had around what causes artifacts when printing at higher speeds.

Elliot (me) came with his old Graber printer, printing out a handle (
https://github.com/elliotf/reprap-handles/blob/master/main.stl ) for
his laundry area. Cura seems to (annoyingly) reset settings every
time it is upgraded, so some time was spent re-configurting Cura.
Alas, the graber was printing with Bowden-level retraction, which made
the little nema14 extruder unhappy, though the print finished. A way
to avoid this reset is to save your settings as a profile in Cura
(Thank you, Bill S!)

Zohar came with his repstrap, printing new parts for it (an idler
pulley and/or mount) using the new hotend he installed. The printer
is very fun to watch with being a stacked moving bed. Very hypnotic.

There were a number of walk-by's, a few of which said that they were
going to get involved in the group.

As always, I'm sure that I missed a bunch of stuff, so please do chime
in! I'm probably not going to show up again for a while, but it was
nice to see folks last night!

Elliot

zohar golan

Apr 10, 2014, 12:18:42 PM4/10/14
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com, Tiffa Foster
Elliot,

Great summery.
Hope to see you more at the meetings as your contribution is invaluable.

Zohar