Nema 23

John England

Jun 1, 2015, 6:53:51 PM6/1/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Is there a good local source for Nema 23 steppers? I'm thinking in the
270 oz/in^2 range or greater. There are plenty of ebay options but I'm
not always a fan of the China route.

I'm in the early days of designing my own take on the 1000mm Inventables

It's time to pull the trigger on a garage mill to accomplish my various
projects (plus, it'll be a fun build :D )

Thanks,
John

Tommy Lee

Jun 11, 2015, 1:30:54 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I've never built a CNC or a 3D Printer. I'm here trying to build a Prusa i3 but I'm interested in your build. Please post links to any G+ or blog posts when you get started.

John England

Jun 11, 2015, 2:00:06 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Sure, Tommy. I'm still sourcing parts and will start working on some Solidworks models soon. I'll be using linear rail and c-beam solutions from openbuildspartstore.com for all axes.

Good luck with your Prusa build!
John

Thomas Lee

Jun 11, 2015, 2:28:56 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Are your goals to make it less dependent on custom extrusions?

John England

Jun 11, 2015, 3:08:01 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

As much as possible. Apart from makerslide, the extrusions from openbuilds look like the way to go as they are open, obviously, and easily sourceable. The price isn't bad either. For added rigidity, the rest of the frame will be made out of standard Series 15 80/20 1.5"x1.5" extrusions. Some of the joining plates will likely need to be custom, though. That remains to be seen.

The goal of the project is to make it larger for less with available parts, and just for the joy of the process.

John England

Jun 11, 2015, 7:50:03 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
To clarify my earlier post, I will be using the V-Slot Linear Rail rather than their OpenRail Linear Rail...

For X axis:  http://openbuildspartstore.com/black-v-slot-linear-rail
For Y Axis: http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-linear-rail

Two of the 1000mm black v-slot and one of the 1000mm c-beam should arrive early next week.

And I may use this assembly bundle for Z: http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-linear-actuator-bundle
My main concern with this assembly is I plan to use a DeWalt 618 router, which is a good 10-11 lbs. I may not have to worry since it uses an ACME lead screw, but I'm not sure yet.

Ken Snyder

Jun 11, 2015, 8:14:00 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
John,

Are you going to use the 20x20 or the 20x40 rails?  I would recommend the 20x40 for 1000mm.

Ken

John England

Jun 11, 2015, 8:21:48 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Another important detail. I actually got the 20x60.

John England

Jun 11, 2015, 9:57:05 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Is this the stuff you used for your XY gantry? Or makerslide?

Ken Snyder

Jun 11, 2015, 11:11:33 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Yes, OpenBuilds.

John England

Jun 11, 2015, 11:32:48 PM6/11/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Good to know. I assume 24" was your max length? Really interested to check out the c-beam profile.

Ken Snyder

Jun 12, 2015, 1:26:55 AM6/12/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
A bit bigger than that.  Remember the build volume dimensions are 24" in each direction.  My Y axis extrusions are 31".

John England

Jun 12, 2015, 2:18:35 AM6/12/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Right, right. Of course.