Quick print gear bearing giveaway

Elliot

May 7, 2015, 1:30:27 AM5/7/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Ken requested that I send this out to the list.  It's the print-in-one-piece herringbone gear bearing that I printed a few weeks ago:

Enjoy!

jorwex

May 7, 2015, 9:15:24 AM5/7/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Neat! 0.7 mm single wall -- I wonder if that's the size of the nozzle or if he's set the slicer to push out more plastic out than it is physically.

Did you use Cura? Any extra settings necessary? Noticed this in the description:

In addition to configuring the extrusion width, wall thickness, infill and solid layers, you will need to make sure that your slicer always retracts when crossing internal spaces. I was not able to make the work with Cura, but Slic3r can be configured to do it by unchecking "Only retract when crossing perimeters".

Suppose these could be candidate hand-outs at the Maker Faire

Jordan

Ken Snyder

May 8, 2015, 3:24:45 PM5/8/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Elliot,

When I import this into Sketchup there is a top and bottom perimeter  wall.  Should this not be there or are you cutting it off?  It seems that there is a big difference between how the various CAD packages create STL files and how others import and interpret those files.  I usually find lots of facets missing when I import a complex STL file with lots of small facets.

Anybody else have this problem?  Is this primarily a Sketchup problem?

Ken

Elliot

May 8, 2015, 10:03:10 PM5/8/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Ken,

The instructions for that model are very helpful.  You are supposed to print it without top or bottom layers, and with zero infill.  I suggest you read the insurrections, because it had a few more tips, too.

Elliot

Ken Snyder

May 8, 2015, 10:20:22 PM5/8/15
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I finally did and figured it out.  It came out great, even though I have a 0.8 nozzle.

It's still interesting how different programs have trouble with STL files generated with other programs.  Slic3r didn't have any problems with it.