Reviving Barcamp Bangkok

thanr

Sep 14, 2012, 3:06:36 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi ladies and gents,

I am going to revive the Barcamp Bangkok efforts. I miss the ghetto-styled BarcampBangkok 1 and I want it again.

Anybody want to meet over the weekend and talk? I'll be at BarcampBangkhen this sunday.

I can help with the website and organizing, but I will need help finding and acquiring a suitable venue.

Some ideas that I have to begin with:
  • Keep it small (50-100 people?)
  • No free lunch, no free t-shirt (less sponsorship, less budget)
  • Maybe the next one could be setup as fast as November (by the time it floods again).
Thoughts?

Cheers,
Than

James Dejsuphong

Sep 14, 2012, 3:12:11 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Let's meet at BarCampBangkhen this Sunday.
Sent from my BlackBerry therefore unnecessary brief

From: thanr <uce...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 00:06:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [barcamp-thailand] Reviving Barcamp Bangkok
--
Barcamp Bangkok 4: October 23-24, 2010
More details at http://www.barcampbangkok.com/

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/barcamp-thailand?hl=en

Arthit Suriyawongkul

Sep 14, 2012, 3:36:01 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com

Some ideas that I have to begin with:
  • Keep it small (50-100 people?)
  • No free lunch, no free t-shirt (less sponsorship, less budget)
@kengggg and @roofimon also agree on these points.

I talked with manager of The Sync (Ladproa MRT) last week, she said if BarCamp like to use the venue they can provide it for free.
I think you can have two sessions parallel there. 60 ppl may be the limit.

--
เครือข่ายพลเมืองเน็ต -- "เปิดเน็ต เปิดใจ"
Thai Netizen Network -- "Open Net. Open Mind."

Jean Jordaan

Sep 14, 2012, 3:38:13 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
> I talked with manager of The Sync (Ladproa MRT) last week, she said if
> BarCamp like to use the venue they can provide it for free.
> I think you can have two sessions parallel there. 60 ppl may be the limit.

That's a good place for a guerilla barcamp. Everyone will know each
other by the end :)

--
jean . .. .... //\\\oo///\\

Twin Panichsombat

Sep 14, 2012, 3:42:04 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
That's good idea, Me, Natty and Proteus gang have been discussing
about this for a month and we plan to make it on the second week of
October. The venue may be at the sync or hubba. Our idea is to make
barcamp "cheap and easy".
> --
> Barcamp Bangkok 4: October 23-24, 2010
> More details at http://www.barcampbangkok.com/

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/barcamp-thailand?hl=en

--
Write Code Not War

Jan Detlefsen

Sep 14, 2012, 10:01:34 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
100% agree. We have set the bar so high that nobody even tries to jump over it anymore.
Freebies or not don't make a difference imo.

--
Jan Detlefsen
Sent with Sparrow

Prem Sichanugrist

Sep 14, 2012, 10:38:32 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for stepping up Than. Yes, I miss the ghetto-styled BarcampBangkok 1 :)

Sadly, I won't be able to help since I'm not in Thailand at the moment, but still I want to see it happen!

Uncle Zzzen

Sep 14, 2012, 10:50:48 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
99% I'm coming, but it's a night train for me, so I can't come to BKK
meetings before the event.
Maybe we can open a wiki / etherpad / etc. for this?
> --
> Barcamp Bangkok 4: October 23-24, 2010
> More details at http://www.barcampbangkok.com/

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/barcamp-thailand?hl=en

--
https://corky.net/~zzzen/zzzen.asc
4759 A11D 6E05 D778 4A51 A002 A758 BD37 C2C1 AEFB

Ches Martin

Sep 14, 2012, 6:35:28 PM9/14/12
On Friday, September 14, 2012 9:50:50 PM UTC+7, The Dod (หนอนบุ้ง) wrote:
Maybe we can open a wiki / etherpad / etc. for this?

So I meant to post something a long time ago after talking to Jordan (who was leading organization effort last year before the floods), but you may have guessed by now if you didn't already know that the floods gave him a rough time. He's still in Thailand but he eventually moved to Chiang Mai.

Anyway, he's an agreeable sort of guy, still on this list and reading this I'm sure, and he'd probably like to make it down to Barcamp Bangkok if he can. He'd probably let us resume use of the Basecamp project we already had set up for this last year on his account...

If there's anything useful left to refer to there. And if Basecamp Classic isn't a disaster after that new mess they've launched.

-Ches

Jordan

Sep 15, 2012, 1:05:28 AM9/15/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com

I for one support our new barcamp bangkok overlord.

For those who don't know. I've moved to Chiang Mai after my house got flooded last year. Not going to be able to help organize Barcamp BKK anymore, but can assist with what ever you guys need. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Jordan

Jarern Lucklertkul

Sep 14, 2012, 5:01:29 AM9/14/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Than,

Fyi that Rangsit University show interest to sponsor venue for Barcamp Bangkok.

Best,
Jay.

On Sep 14, 2012 2:06 PM, "thanr" <uce...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jarern Lucklertkul

Oct 9, 2012, 12:04:37 PM10/9/12
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thanr,

Just want to ask did coming Barcamp Bangkok already have the venue sponsor? As I used to update in this mailing list that Rangsit University IT faculty head used to mentioned to me that he has interest to support the event if it will revive again.

Thank you very much for your response.

Best,
Jay.