Examples leave a lot to be desired

Rick Mann

Oct 6, 2016, 11:03:44 PM10/6/16
to barat...@googlegroups.com
You guys really need to provide fully-working downloads of the examples (the Getting Started and Tutorials). On the page you don't show every class referenced, and you don't show the necessary import statements (making it a pain to go to the Javadoc to find). I also feel like some of the docs refer to older versions of things (for example, Kraken vs Kelp? Are those two different things?).

Thanks!

--
Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com

drahm...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2016, 5:11:02 AM12/29/16
to Baratine
+1
I feel it is so promising project but examples refer to old version, there are changes to API, you can't just copy and paste code to test it, I have spent a work day to get started but i failed.

rob.va...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 8:32:10 AM1/24/17
to Baratine
Yeah, a cry from the heart - working examples. I encountered the same: typo's, mix of old and new API's, missing parts, missing or obscure documentation... Cost me some hours of trial-and-error already.

The guys from Caucho are really smart and Baratine is a very smart concept, but the incomplete examples don't really help market adoption...

On the other hand: they are providing it for free, I am willing to pay some patience for this unique approach to building microservices.

But dear Caucho fellows: help us getting on board with Baratine!!

Alex Rojkov

Jan 24, 2017, 11:58:24 AM1/24/17
to rob.va...@gmail.com, Baratine
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your feedback and trying out the product. It would help if
you can point to an example that didn't work for you and I'll do my
best to help.

Alex

rob.va...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 3:49:03 PM1/24/17
to Baratine, rob.va...@gmail.com
Hi Alex,

thanks for stepping in.

I just noticed that following the "Documentation" link on http://baratine.io/ leads us to http://doc.baratine.io/v1.0/, while a page http://doc.baratine.io/v1.0.1/ appears to be available if you change the url by hand...

I did not keep an exact journal of my recent Baratine 1.0.1 journey, here are some snippets:
- in the JDBC service area: I could not connect to a running JDBC service via the Services class
- HomeUtil: java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Illegal char <:> at index 4: file:/E:/MAVEN_REPO/io/baratine/baratine/1.0.1/baratine-1.0.1.jar
- the Kraken example at http://doc.baratine.io/v1.0.1/getting-started/#embedded-database SEEMS not to be working because you get no output, but add a Thread.sleep(200); statement and lo and behold: this allows the asynchronous result to show...

There were more hurdles on my Baratine trip, I'll see what comes back into my memory the coming days.

All in all: my advice is to hire a junior developer (without Baratine knowledge), let him try out all examples in one week and let him keep a journal. If he can get the samples working, we might too... ;-)

Just to assure: I appreciate your work very much, also that you share it for free.
But as Baratine introduces a new way of thinking and a new way of working, don't make it extra hard by incorrect and incomplete examples.

Kind regards,

Rob.

rob.va...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 4:29:09 PM1/24/17
to Baratine, rob.va...@gmail.com
Some other things:

- the examples in https://github.com/baratine/tutorials use version 0.10-SNAPSHOT in the pom.xml
- I remember some of the Caucho guys mentioning that the maven plugin ( https://github.com/baratine/baratine-maven-plugin ?) is deprecated

vandev...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2017, 11:43:51 AM1/29/17
to Baratine, rob.va...@gmail.com
Hi All,

I agree with Rob, Ahmed and Rick.
Personaly I am trying to set up a cluster.
The 06-clustering tutorial is based on the 0.10 API, but with a little patience I am able to transform the code to the 1.0.x api and I also understand the cluster configuration.
But I don't read anything about:
- What's the minimal code base to setup a cluster.
- How to start/stop a (possible empty) cluster?
- How to deploy/undeploy a service to the cluster?
- How to use the Baratine.bat/sh? script. I only see 4 commands, 'exit', 'help', 'package' and 'version'. Can I use 'start' and 'stop'?
- Should I even use this script to start/stop a cluster?

The most simple example would give us a major leap in promoting this very good Microservices concept and gives us the possibility to get others very enthousiastic.

Regards,
Ton

Alex Rojkov

Jan 29, 2017, 5:34:57 PM1/29/17
to Baratine
Ton,

Clustering capabilities were removed from 1.0 unfortunately.

1.0 targets standalone Baratine service applications.

Regards,
Alex