[MEET] October Meetup

Swanand Pagnis

Sep 29, 2016, 8:34:14 AM9/29/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We're looking for speakers for the October meetup. Does anyone want to talk about

- Anything interesting they did
- Anything new they learned
- Something old and forgotten
- Anything geeky and remotely related to the Ruby ecosystem
- Anything geeky and not related to the Ruby ecosystem, but is of interest to the attendees

Let's hear from you!

Here's the RSVP link, but it lacks a host and location.  So, who wants to host it this time?

- Swanand

kashyap k

Sep 29, 2016, 8:52:08 AM9/29/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Codemancers can do it. But if anyone else wants to, we have no issues.

Kashyap KMBC

Swanand Pagnis

Sep 29, 2016, 11:27:33 AM9/29/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Great, let's give it a few days if someone new wants to host it, but otherwise we'll meet at Codemancers.

Nishit Hirani

Oct 3, 2016, 4:33:36 AM10/3/16
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group
Hi all,

KeepWorks would like to host months meetup if the slot is still open.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Swanand Pagnis <swa...@pagnis.in> wrote:
Hi all,

We're looking for speakers for the October meetup. Does anyone want to talk about

- Anything interesting they did
- Anything new they learned
- Something old and forgotten
- Anything geeky and remotely related to the Ruby ecosystem
- Anything geeky and not related to the Ruby ecosystem, but is of interest to the attendees

Let's hear from you!

Here's the RSVP link, but it lacks a host and location.  So, who wants to host it this time?

- Swanand

Kashyap KMBC

Thomas Elam

Oct 3, 2016, 12:20:40 PM10/3/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on something that should be interesting to many web developers.

I'd like to get some feedback and wouldn't be too shy to give a talk.

Tom

Kashyap

Oct 3, 2016, 2:02:32 PM10/3/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
@nishit

Can you provide the location, for the website?

Nishit Hirani

Oct 3, 2016, 3:12:16 PM10/3/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

@kashyap -  Address and Location.

KeepWorks Technologies Pvt Ltd
92, 'Z' Square,
Jyothinivas College Road,
Koramangala, Bangalore - 560034
https://goo.gl/maps/2mmAMjCaHz42

On Oct 3, 2016 11:32 PM, "Kashyap" <kashya...@gmail.com> wrote:
@nishit

Can you provide the location, for the website?

Swanand Pagnis

Oct 4, 2016, 12:58:08 AM10/4/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks KeepWorks for offering to host the meetup!

Hi Nishit,

I've added you as an organiser to the meetup event, and updated the address.

Can you please:
  1. Check the address and map marker, and correct if needed
  2. Update the "How to find us" section to help people find the place. Just a map is not usually enough.
Thanks,
Swanand

Thomas Elam

Oct 4, 2016, 1:18:45 AM10/4/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to highlight the most important part: https://tomelam.github.io/zen/docs/whitepaper/ .

I would also like to demonstrate a simple, sequential, in-browser program I wrote that uses continuations underneath to make event-driven programming unnecessary even for complex user interactions. (Think of the complexity of angjular, backbone, react, etc.!) It actually adds operating system constructs like "wait" or "getchar". I will try to put together a demo of this code, but I'm having trouble remembering how I got it to work. (It's exciting, though. I promise!)

There is more background to the white paper and demos: my old project zen-rails, now moved to https://github.com/tomelam/zen-rails-old, which is badly broken due to its requirements not being updated over the last 5 years along with the Rails ecosystem. The most interesting part of zen-rails-old, for Rubyists, is probably the part of it that clones complicated web pages, complete with CSS (if a version with the versions of Ruby, Rails, RVM, gems can be found and used together). I won't be ready to talk much about zen-rails-old on 15 September.

Tom

Swanand Pagnis

Oct 4, 2016, 3:02:44 AM10/4/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom, this would be an interesting talk.

Thomas Elam

Oct 4, 2016, 5:13:04 AM10/4/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Swanand!

Which part(s) do you like or want me to speak on?
  1. The DMI GUIs,
  2. the white paper, or
  3. the sequential programming of user interaction?
When & how will I know I've been selected as a speaker? I'd think 15-30 minutes for each of the 3 parts would be about right. I will practice in front of QuickTime on my iMac to test & adjust my content & delivery.

I'd say we should keep Q&A for each part down to 5 minutes; I'll be available for extended Q&A after the meeting has formally ended.

The white paper gets into a lot of different areas, so I'm not sure which parts would be appropriate, but here are some ideas:
  1. Smalltalk and Self, which inspired Ruby and JavaScript. I would just talk for 4 or 5 minutes on the idea of editing live code & the principle advantage of prototypical inheritance.
  2. Lively Kernel, a Smalltalk-like environment running in the browser. I would run a brief demo of editing live code. Since writing about Lively Kernel in my white paper, I learned that there is another, possibly more interesting, approach to visual programming in the browser: Snap!.
  3. The Morphic.js graphics system or GUI, which uses a

Tom

Swanand Pagnis

Oct 4, 2016, 8:48:23 AM10/4/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I would be greatly interested in continuations and the sequential programming using them. In the last Mysore ruby meet, we spoke briefly about it.

15-30 minutes for each talk would stretch it to a potential 90 minutes, which is too much for one single meetup. I think we can focus on 1 talk this time, you can select whichever talk you like the most!

Thomas Elam

Oct 4, 2016, 9:59:37 AM10/4/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Swanand and all,

I wrongly thought he was talking about a Mysore RUG meeting. (Second time I've made that mistake.) Sorry. I only hope I can give the talk in Mysore, unless maybe someone offers to put me up in Bangalore for a night or two. I might even like to give the talk(s) in each city if people say it's good enough.

I am only beginning to study Morphic, so I can't even complete a sentence about ... . 😉

Tom

Swanand Pagnis

Oct 13, 2016, 7:51:13 AM10/13/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
So we have at least 1 talk lined up, on WebRTC by Dhruva.

Does anyone else want to give a talk / show notes / anything?