April BRUG Meetup - Solving an Exercism kata via Mob Programming

boddhisattva

Apr 13, 2017, 1:25:40 AM4/13/17
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group
Dear All,

We're changing the rhythm of the meetups this month, and instead of the
usual talks / presentations + chatter, we'll solve a kata from Exercism via Mob Programming. Mob programming is a software development approach where the whole team works on the same thing. In case you'd like to learn more on how this works please watch this video on Mob Programming - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cy64qkgTyI .

If you're experienced, this would be a perfect opportunity to let out a few
rants about writing good code and improve your mentorship skills.

If you're new, this would be a perfect opportunity to get started on
Exercism and to write code that you can immediately get feedback for.

Lastly, I think one of the main things that people can take away from this meetup in general is to learn about different ways of solving the same problem. This is what happened in the past when we had a hands on session at a meetup where we attempted to solve an Exercism kata via pair programming. In case you missed making it to that meetup and since we're doing something similar this time, feel free to read up more on how this was conducted in the past here so that it could give you a better idea of what you can expect.

RSVP link, and other documentation here:

We're looking for a host for this meetup, so if you're company is
interested in hosting, please holler! Our usual preference is to go with someone new wanting to host but because we're just two days away from the meetup we'd most likely go with one of our usual hosts based on whichever company can accommodate us for this meetup. We also would need to account for the number of attendees that sign up for this meetup before finalizing on a host but in any case if you're company could help us with hosting, please let us know.

How do we plan to conduct this meetup -
We plan to solve the kata in two sessions with a discussion in the interim(to track the progress so far and discuss problem solving approaches until then) and one towards the end to discuss the different approaches each team took to solving the kata. The kata that we are going to solve will be announced at the meetup. Please come to the meetup with Exercism setup on your dev box. More details with how to setup Exercism for solving exercises from the Ruby track have been mentioned as part of the meetup page itself.

Lastly, I could use all the help I could get wrt organising this meetup, so if you'd like to help out please feel free to drop me an email at mail4m...@gmail.com and we can discuss further. I'm grateful to my fellow ruby friends who helped out in organising the hands on session at a meetup last April and I realized that with many seniors around in general the ones with relatively lesser experience will definitely gain a lot . I'm hoping we could have alteast one senior member in a team of 5 people who would be solving the kata and I believe in seniors could have some takeaways from this meetup in terms of seeing how other senior folks in each team are helping their group meet the end goal which is actually solving the kata within a given time frame. With this in mind, I'd like to call up on more seniors to participate in the meetup if they're available and we also welcome intermediate level devs to help out juniors too.

In case you have any questions with respect to this meetup, would request you to post them on the meetup page itself(I've realized with time that there are a number of people who do not know about the BRUG mailing list) such that those conversations would be visible to all the members of the BRUG group on meetup.com.

I'm hoping all of us could benefit from the discussions around solving the kata and have at least something to takeaway from the meetup. So if you're interested in attending this meetup, please go ahead and confirm your participation by using the RSVP link mentioned above.

Thank you.

- Mohnish

P.S: I'm sorry for the short notice with regard to the plans for this meetup. I understand many may be on leave because of the long weekend ahead and thereby they may not be able to make it.

boddhisattva

Apr 14, 2017, 6:09:35 AM4/14/17
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group
Dear All,

Just a quick update wrt the host for this month's BRUG meetup. This month's meetup would take place at Jaaga Coworking Community. Details related to the exact location are updated on the meetup page here.

Looking forward to seeing you there tomorrow :)

Thank you.