July meet up

Ajey Gore

Jul 10, 2016, 2:51:34 PM7/10/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, Mehak Kahlon, Vivek Veeramani
Folks,

GoJek can host July meet up.

Ajey

boddhisattva

Jul 13, 2016, 11:48:25 AM7/13/16
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group, me...@go-jek.com, vivek.v...@go-jek.com
Hi Ajey,

Thanks for letting us know that GoJek can host the July 2016 BRUG Meetup. I've scheduled this month's meetup on this link .

Could you please share the office address and somebody's contact number(in case attendees aren't able to find the place easily) on this thread ? I'll accordingly update the details on the meetup page.

Shishir Joshi

Jul 16, 2016, 4:43:12 AM7/16/16
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group, me...@go-jek.com, vivek.v...@go-jek.com
Most of the people who turned up were really enthusiastic about contributing to open source projects during a meetup. It's an awesome idea and we should plan to do this for the next meetup. Any one in?

Santu Mahapatra

Jul 19, 2016, 1:42:21 AM7/19/16
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, me...@go-jek.com, vivek.v...@go-jek.com
Yes, people were quite interested in a contributing to open source meetup. There are a few thoughts that popped up in my brain.
  • It should be hack day thing i.e. 2 sessions of 3 hours. 1 session might not suffice
  • We need to get a list of beginner issues beforehand
  • We should get the event page up asap. The turnout was low this time because the event page was not up until later

Mohnish? Any thoughts?

Santu Mahapatra

boddhisattva

Jul 23, 2016, 9:33:34 PM7/23/16
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group, me...@go-jek.com, vivek.v...@go-jek.com
Hi Shishir and Santu,

Doing a meetup wherein people can contribute to open source projects is definitely a good idea. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I did have a discussion about this with Prakash Murthy at the May 2016 BRUG meetup since he's been a part of a similar event in Bangalore in the past and he did mention that these things need to be well planned.

I think it's a good idea to get a better understanding of what kinda open source projects people want to contribute to, and then I think we would be in a better position to plan this meetup. I also think it's a good idea to know how many people we could expect for this meetup so that we have enough volunteers to assist other meetup attendees. We'd also need a host for this meetup. Lastly, as Santu rightly mentioned, this would need to be more on the lines of a full day event.

I think there are certain factors one keeps in mind before going about creating the meetup page and I believe they need to be accounted for. I think having more people who'd want to volunteer in co-organizing BRUG meetups is something that is welcomed. Please feel free to contact Swanand to add you as a co-organizer on meetup.com, if you're interested. This would help especially at times when other co-organizers aren't able to make it for an upcoming meetup.

Shishir, due to certain work and travel related reasons I wouldn't be able to make it for the full day meetup in August and September in case we plan to have one then.