migration from mysql to percona / mariadb .... your thoughts?

Satish Kota

Mar 4, 2015, 8:48:19 AM3/4/15
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

All,

Just thinking aloud… is it good to migrate from mysql to percona or mariadb? What are the advantages and disadvantages? And how easy it is to migrate…

Also which is better mariadb or percona…

As I know, after oracle took over mysql they have been quite a lot of issues in the upgrades and commits… and I see mariadb or percona to be more promising…

Regards
Satish N Kota

Swanand Pagnis

Mar 6, 2015, 1:47:12 AM3/6/15
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
MariaDB is has progressed quite well, no reason to stick to MySQL, really.  At Simplero, we moved on to MariaDB on the servers a long time ago.  Local dev boxes are still on MySQL, because the don't matter much.

I don't have any experience with Percona, so if anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them as well.

Swanand Pagnis

Mar 6, 2015, 1:51:22 AM3/6/15
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Excuse the silly typo.

Satish Kota

Mar 6, 2015, 2:20:29 AM3/6/15
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

I hear percona’s management tools are very good…

Gorav Bhootra

Mar 9, 2015, 12:58:47 PM3/9/15
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is not a direct answer to the question but may help the context. Postgres 9.4 + Rails 4.2 + Redis + infrastructure setup with auto-scaling and load balancers (AWS scores) + optimisation at all levels is well capable of handling upto first few thousand users, if you are looking at alternative to MySQL - this is with the assumption that no crazy db stuff is happening. This setup can even support social networking apps to good extent (am working with one of them at present and can tell you by experience). Of course, once the user base crosses a threshold, it will be worth exploring alternatives. This is if the team is not used to working with nosql db. End of the day, it will be dependent on use case and expertise of team.

Regards,
Gorav
Solution Architect (RoR) | CTO-on-demand
skype: goravbhootra

Dheeraj Kumar

Mar 9, 2015, 9:00:15 PM3/9/15
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
If you're looking for a drop-in replacement, MariaDB is pretty good. We've found drastic speedups in some complex analytics queries since we moved and tuned a few Maria-specific variables.

If you're looking to migrate, however, I'd suggest Postgres instead. The sheer power of its query optimizer, and all the features of its query engine (CTE, window functions, ...) are definitely worth it.

It comes down to what Gorav says - "End of the day, it will be dependent on use case and expertise of team." :)

Dheeraj