Entry level road bike suggestions

Sudheendra

Jan 26, 2016, 9:31:36 AM1/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi folks,

It's been about 3 months since I started cycling. I commute to work on cycle and do long rides (20-35 kms) on Sunday mornings. I'm using Rockrider 340 MTB, on rent. While it's a great bike, I'm thinking of getting a road bike as I see less effort is required to move more distance compared to an MTB. I feel like I hit the wall after 50kms, I think I can do more riding a road bike. Before I go ahead and purchase one, I had few questions and wanted to take your input:

1. Would you recommend a road bike for cycling in Bangalore? given the condition of roads etc.
2. Which road bike models (under 15k) would you recommend? Daily commute + weekend long rides (>50kms)

Thanks a lot,
Sudheendra

Prashanth Chengi

Jan 26, 2016, 9:38:52 AM1/26/16
to Sudheendra, Bangalore Bikers Club
Why do you put restrictions like under 15k? Remember that it's an investment that's going to last several years of use. Instead of being restricted to buying junk bikes for small budgets (which is a total waste imo), you could up the budget and get real bikes which are worth what you pay for it. Regarding road bikes and Blr conditions, yes, you can use thicker wheels (28, 32) and they should be able to take it. You'll have to check the bike to ensure it supports higher width wheels/tires.

/Prashanth

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Sudheendra

Jan 26, 2016, 10:20:37 AM1/26/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Ok, agree with the budget thing. Do you have any suggestions?

Prashanth Chengi

Jan 26, 2016, 11:25:27 AM1/26/16
to Sudheendra, Bangalore Bikers Club
Triban 3 was being discussed in this list a couple of days ago;  I think that's an excellent choice for a first roadbike. Retails for 37k at decathlon.

/Prashanth

Pradeep Naidu

Jan 27, 2016, 3:29:14 AM1/27/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Sudheendra, Bangalore Bikers Club, Venky wheelsport, Venky

Yes road bikes are bikable on Bangalore roads. You will need some ass lifting in the right time practice...
You can also contact venky from wheel sports.. He had done good entry level bikes
I have copied him

Hari Krishna

Jan 27, 2016, 3:30:50 AM1/27/16
to Pradeep Naidu, Prashanth Chengi, Sudheendra, Bangalore Bikers Club, Venky wheelsport, Venky
I commute 26 Km a day on roadbike, with road cleats :).

It's very fine with Bangalore roads.

Hari Krishna Malladi

rakesh ram

Jan 27, 2016, 6:06:33 AM1/27/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
If possible do try renting a road bike and also a hybrid to see which works better for you. Hybrids also might work with your requirements as the tyres are thinner. Also you can get some decent ones in your budget.

-rakesh

rohil chopra

Jan 27, 2016, 6:34:02 AM1/27/16
to Hari Krishna, Pradeep Naidu, Prashanth Chengi, Sudheendra, Bangalore Bikers Club, Venky wheelsport, Venky
Hi

This is the first time I am writing in.  Found the inputs in this chat very interesting because I am looking at upgrading my BTwin Rockrider 5.1.

Is anyone here familiar with La Sovereign bicycles?

Is there any feedback/ review on these bikes?

Cheers
ROHIL