help me choose bicycle

Md.Nayeem pro

Feb 11, 2015, 9:24:38 PM2/11/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, good day.
I've planned to buy a bicycle for commuting to office. From jp nagar to koramangala(10km), and would need to travel twice a day on most weekdays(tot.40km/day). And I need to be time sensitive. I've decided to for either of RR5.0 or 5.1. But,one clarification I need is whether front shocks will really be an obstacle for speed? I have no experience on front shocks.

Thanks and regards,
Mohammed Nayeem
9591441851

Prashanth Chengi

Feb 11, 2015, 9:40:53 PM2/11/15
to Md.Nayeem pro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Use of shocks, or dampeners indeed affect speed, but consider that from a cost vs benefit perspective.  While a rear-shock is probably overkill, front shocks provide a noticeably smoother ride, particularly in a place like Blr where you can't always avoid potholes or bumps.  In fact, on very bumpy surfaces, you can ride faster and stay safer than you can, if you are riding without shocks.

/Prashanth

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Md.Nayeem pro

Feb 12, 2015, 2:53:09 AM2/12/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks dude.,

Shankar Shastry

Feb 12, 2015, 3:35:49 AM2/12/15
to Md.Nayeem pro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Most low end front suspension forks are completely useless and very heavy. Between the 5.1 and 5.0, 5.0 would be a better choice for city rides.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Md.Nayeem pro <nayeema...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks dude.,

Ashok Kumar S

Feb 12, 2015, 5:59:39 AM2/12/15
to Shankar Shastry, Md.Nayeem pro, Bangalore Bikers Club
I see that RR5.0 is 14.2Kg, 5.1 is 14Kg, though for a smaller size. I guess the weights are similar. 5.2 is 13.7Kg if I remember correctly.
5.0 has steel frame and 5.1 has Aluminium frame. Both have grip shifts. A better buy would be 5.2 with thumb shifters, if you have the budget.
--
Thanks and regards, Ashok Kumar S.

Kartik Rustagi

Feb 12, 2015, 6:43:50 AM2/12/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
5.0 never lets me down for city commutes and can be maintained easily.

Ram

Feb 12, 2015, 7:04:17 AM2/12/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

I recommend you try out bikes with lockout shocks. I have a Schwinn Searcher 2010 and the lockout gives you enough speed for long rides and enough comfort for broken roads in the city.
You can take a look at the UT H2: http://utbikes.com/bikestore/Hybrid/h-2-ut-bikes which is similar in spec to my Searcher and a tad lighter too.

Cheers,
Ram