Front LightRecommendation

ashutosh tripathi

May 11, 2016, 5:56:29 AM5/11/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi All,
I want to buy a decent front light for my cycle.
Any suggestions ?
Will prefer a battery operated one (like AA types), which is easily available everywhere, rather than the one's which have to be charged.

Mohammed Anzy S

May 11, 2016, 6:17:54 AM5/11/16
to ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
cateye
--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Venky

May 11, 2016, 6:22:22 AM5/11/16
to ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
I use a NiteRider Lumina 750 and just love it. It is rechargable. So, no need to worry about changing the batteries every now and then.

Distributed by HappyEarth and available locally at most bike stores and their online store.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Cheers,
Venky
govenkygo.com

TFN Deepak

May 11, 2016, 8:02:32 AM5/11/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ashutosh_t...@rediffmail.com
I use Sigma Buster 200 which come to around 2-3 hours on continuous standard usage.
Good range also.

http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/licht-systeme/powerleuchten/power/buster200

costed me around 2K. has a flexible Rubber belt clamps which happens to hold on to any vibrations.

Can be Picked at Wheelsports or any other shops in Bangalore

Deepak

ashutosh tripathi

May 12, 2016, 1:30:24 AM5/12/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
any recommendations for lights running on AA batteries.
Something like Fenix BT10, or Mako 200
Both have been discontinued.

My budget is around 2k.

TFN Deepak

May 12, 2016, 6:43:08 AM5/12/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
take rechargeable ones as suggested by venky or me. it at-least stops you from generating junk Batteries.

Opendro

May 12, 2016, 6:52:38 AM5/12/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
How often do you plan to use it? And how long do you want it to last before the next battery purchase or recharge? If you want peace of mind in a long ride, night after nights, magnic light is the best option, assuming you don't want to be tied to a dynamo hub. The downside of magnic light is the cost. It cost me 12K for two front and one rear. You also need a very well trued rim for the same.

Opendro

May 12, 2016, 6:56:03 AM5/12/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Ah! Forgot to give you the battery option - http://www.dx.com/p/stretch-zooming-cree-xml-t6-900lm-3-mode-white-tactical-flashlight-black-1-x-18650-or-3-x-aaa-289156 I bought a couple of them for my friends. They are just awesome. I had always used 18650 models and they work really well. But at times when battery runs out, it is not easy to pick a 18650 along the way. This one comes with an adapter for 3 AAA batteries. For less than Rs. 600, it is unbeatable.

Vinod Raja

May 13, 2016, 1:34:27 PM5/13/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I cycle at the break of dawn and found it very essential to have powerful lights, to be seen and to see the path ahead in all terrains.

 My choice has been Cygolite pro(back) and Vision II  by magnus innovation (front). A must have for cycling on the highways with powerful daylight flashers.

I particularly like the Vision II light,  its very powerful at about 850 Lumens. Comes with extra rechargeable Li ion battery that can be popped in like the all familiar AA cells.  It  has a flash or torch light like design, you can pull it out and carry it with you on a hike.

hope this helps.

berkeleydb

May 13, 2016, 7:06:52 PM5/13/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Decathlon has a light that uses 3x AA batteries. It comes with a handle bar mount. I have an older version of that light; no handle bar mount. I have tied it on my helmet. Decathlon has some "head" lights too, using 2-3 AAA batteries. I have used one of those too (again, mounted on the helmet). Have worked very well for me. Quite powerful lights. Prefer these lights, that use AA/AAA batteries, since they are widely available. I use Sanyo/Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

Am also using a Decathlon rubber (silicone?) body light, which can be mounted on the handle bar. Mini-usb chargeable; non removable battery. Moderately powerful.

The 18650 better lights that others referred to, might be some of the most powerful ones. Btw, 18650 batteries are what laptop "cells" are made of, it seems.

-{db}.

berkeleydb

May 13, 2016, 7:09:21 PM5/13/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Btw, lights with internal batteries, might provide the most power-to-size ratio. The ones from Cateye etc. seem to be quite compact.

-{db}.

santosh kumar

Karthick Gururaj

Aug 12, 2016, 8:38:54 AM8/12/16
to santosh kumar, Opendro, BBC
I got magnic lights as part of the kickstarter deal, they shipped worldwide - including to India. I checked their website now, there is a option to ask them a question. Try checking with them directly.

- Karthick

Prashanth Chengi

Aug 12, 2016, 4:02:40 PM8/12/16
to Karthick Gururaj, santosh kumar, Opendro, BBC
I use a Bontrager Ion 700, which is capable of 700, 450, and 200 Lumens modes, apart from two pulse modes (which are for emergencies). While I like about it is it's small, beam quality is excellent, and even has side profile lights for additional 'be-seen' value. Rechargeable, charges from mini usb. Claimed life is 700LM-1.75hrs, 450LM-3hrs, 200LM-6.75hrs, 50LM+ flash-22hrs, irregular strobe-40hrs. Mine's about a year and a half old, and gives me about 4-4.5 hrs at 200 lumens, which is what I need/use.

O p e n d r o

Aug 12, 2016, 10:10:24 PM8/12/16
to Karthick Gururaj, BBC, santosh kumar

They do. I got them.

berkeleydb

Aug 17, 2016, 5:56:37 AM8/17/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
AA[A] batteries does_not imply non-rechargeable. If power/performance is of specific concern, you may have have to look for specific brands. Sanyo-Eneloop are very good. I have been using them for few years. They retain charge for a long time too.

I have been using Decathlon lights for front lights, & find them to be a very good price/performance combo. They have torches which can be mounted on the handle bar, plus headlamps which can be strapped on the helmet. I have used both, though the torch too I have used, tied to my helmet. :) Since one can carry extra AA[A] batteries, I find thay option to be very good. Incase one does_not grt an option to charge the batteries on a long ride. Also, USB based chargers are available for AA[A] batteries, so they can now be charged in the same way as all other devices.

-{db}.