If bicycles were 'consumer electronics'...

Vinay Rao

Aug 18, 2016, 8:53:21 AM8/18/16
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
You could import upto Rs50000 in a single shipment, duty free.

Vinay Rao

Sandeep

Aug 18, 2016, 10:49:27 AM8/18/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Just get di2 or etap ;-)

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Opendro

Aug 19, 2016, 1:35:56 AM8/19/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
"If bicycles were consumer electronics", first thing that came to my mind is that we would be junking bikes every couple of years, no repair or part replacement :(

sandeep shet

Aug 19, 2016, 1:41:23 AM8/19/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
We have almost moved in that direction Opendro, if not junking bicycles, parts are being junked often than repaired.
Just last week i was looking for a cup (cup and cone of bearing) that was broken from one of the pedals, searched many old cycle shops in commercial street,
none had it, i was also told, those repair days are gone, buy new pedals.

Not sure where i will be able to fine the cup.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Regards,
Sandeep Shet
+91 9986122862

Narayan R

Aug 19, 2016, 1:47:32 AM8/19/16
to sandeep shet, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Please check in

Madras Cycle Trading Co. (http://tinyurl.com/jud7wnf)
98, SJP Road, Dodpete, Nagarathpete, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560002

And

Acchar street K R market.

Please have atleast 5 hours. Since there are lots of shops and people to interact.

With Regards,
R Narayan

Opendro

Aug 19, 2016, 2:13:19 AM8/19/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Cup is impossible to get I suppose. I too had a wheel hub with worn out cup and cone. I could get cone for Indian cycles, but threading didn't match the axle I had for quick release. But if I buy the axle, cone comes along. But I really doubt if we can ever get the cup. Since we have more wheels with rims damaged than the hub itself, we should be able to reuse the hub and vice versa.

Good news is that if we take some care of the hub or pedals, the cup is supposed to last really long.

BTW, most google searches on how to extract cub from hub or how to service bottom bracket, etc. will yield is results saying that you cannot do it!

chintan jadwani

Aug 19, 2016, 7:42:22 AM8/19/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
The notification exempts the import of electronics for personal use up to Rs 50,000 from the foreign trade rules 1993 and not the customs rules :) I was confused at first too but I dont think this means duty exemption, that would be overkill for some industries such as mobile phones :P

as quoted in a news source "commenting on the move, Federation of Indian Export Organisations said that the notification means that even if such products are otherwise restricted for imports, they can be imported without import licence for personal use."

berkeleydb

Aug 20, 2016, 2:26:23 AM8/20/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
If bicycles were 'consumer electronics'... we would be getting better specs for the same or less price, year after year.

But a more elaborate answer might be along the lines of this response from GM to Microsoft -- http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/autos.asp. ;)

-{db}.