Disc brakes to v brakes

Rishi Rao

Sep 15, 2016, 1:09:54 PM9/15/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Hi all,

My front disc brake pads have given away and it could cost 1000-1500 to fix it. The person over at firefox asked if i would prefer the disc to be replaced with v brakes and to i replied that id get back to him. Anyone replace discs for v brakes?

I have been using the firefox dart 2.6d 21 speed (http://www.firefoxbikes.com/BikeDetails.aspx?BikeId=5)

Rishi Rao

Firefox Bikes-Dart-Disc-21Speed-White.jpg

Opendro

Sep 16, 2016, 1:27:48 AM9/16/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I would suggest, replace the disc pads. Sintered pads should last long enough.

berkeleydb

Sep 17, 2016, 5:27:21 AM9/17/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I see the bike has v-brakes on the back. (And it has v-brake option on the front). So I take it the rims already are v-brake compatible. (Rims of bikes with only disc brakes, usually have a smooth finish in the area where the v-brake pads grip the rim; so they are_not v-brake compatible, as I understand.)

In all the riding I have done -- commute/city riding, long day rides, mutiday tours -- I think rainy conditions are probably the only conditions where I might have felt the disc brakes being better for my riding... that too, I cannot say that categorically. IMO, one's riding has to be quite aggressive, or the riding conditions need to be quite rough, to really merit disc brakes. Otherwise, the extra complexity/weight of the disc brakes, is_not worth it.

My suggestion would be to switch to v-brakes on the front, unless you feel your riding really merits it. I suppose if you really feel later that disc brakes were better, you can switch back. You would have incurred some expenditure on the v-brake mechanism, but I think it would be worth it in the longer run.

An aside -- if you are a regular rider, in your twenties or later, I would suggest investing in a different bike. My impression of the type of the kind of bike you are currently riding, is that it should be OK for 15-20yr olds (for various reasons, physiology being one), but older folks should avoid such bikes, if they ride regularly. Might want to look at this aspect as well.

-{db}.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rishi Rao

Oct 4, 2016, 4:35:53 AM10/4/16
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Missed this thread! Basically, he said that v-brakes are cheaper and easier to maintain.

During rains, the stopping distance with the rear-brake does increase but I am not an overly aggressive rider unless time is a constraint.

@berkeleydb: I also have a btwin forme 1 which I used to alternate commute in. It is fascinatingly quick but I need to replace the tires and am waiting on saving a bit before the expenses. Also, the Firefox is an anniversary gift from my wife from a couple of years back :).

Rishi Rao

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

berkeleydb

Oct 10, 2016, 2:40:34 PM10/10/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
V-brakes are easier to maintain, IMO. Cheaper too.

If this bike was a gift from your spouse, tread carefully. :)

-{db}.