Fwd: Need info - Manali to Leh Cycle trip

Chidambaran Subramanian

Mar 1, 2018, 8:05:35 AM3/1/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Rajeshwar Sable
Posting on behalf of Rajeshwar

Regards
Chiddu

From: Rajeshwar Sable <rajeshw...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 3:40 PM
Subject: Need info - Manali to Leh Cycle trip
To: Bangalore Bikers Club <bangalore-bikers@googlegroups.com>

Hi Experts,
I am working on my long cherished dream of doing Manali to Leh by Cycle.
I am planning to do the trip in Aug'18.
Looking for advise based on your cycling experience.

Currently I own Schwinn Sporterra Hybrid bike (2011 model) and need upgrade to have disk brakes.

What type of Bike I should go for - MTB or Hybrid?
Is front suspension compulsory given the trail/road condition

Is good rental bikes available in Manali? OR need to buy one?

Any info will be helpful, thanks in advance

Thanks,
Rajeshwar

Mayank Rungta

Mar 1, 2018, 11:46:08 AM3/1/18
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Bangalore Bikers Club, Rajeshwar Sable
Rent a bike in Manali, saves transport cost. The Schwinn won't survive the terrain and a hybrid will cut on the many things you could do there.

We found people who would rent out the bikes at 500 a day when we went and it worked pretty well. The bikes were decent. Plan reaching a day earlier and riding them locally so that you have time to fix any problems.

have fun,
mynk

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

मयंक  रुंगटा
--

#MustWatch A Blade of Grass - an amazing talk by Anju Venkat

Sachin Tiwari

Mar 2, 2018, 7:35:25 AM3/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,
I rode Manali - Leh solo and self-supported in August, 2017. My experience was slightly different. Having one's own bike saves a lot of money, considering you will take 7 days to go up to Leh and 2 days to drive down to Manali on a bus. Moreover, good condition bikes were over 750-1000 INR per day in 2017 when I inquired. May be that was rate for single person. Group might be less. If you have your cycle, go with it! And also, you wouldn't have to worry about mounting rental if you take extra days.

Front suspension is of course good to have. Hybrid will be fine for the route. My friend who did it a few weeks earlier than we was on a tourer and did fine. Over 80% of the route is good tarmac now.

As for terrain, except for other side of Rohtang Pass (after the climb from Marhi) the entire route has good surface/tarmac. The next bad stretch is a couple of kilometers after Baralach La pass. So, I feel literally any cycle can do, as long as the rider is not reckless.

August (first week) felt a bit late in the season. It rained all the way from Manali to Sarchu and got difficult to ride. Moreover, the passes snowed in and had high wind gusts. So, please keep very good quality gloves and raingear, if you want to be there in August.

Best
Sachin

Mayank Rungta

Mar 2, 2018, 9:39:34 AM3/2/18
to Sachin Tiwari, Bangalore Bikers Club
If you are having limited number of days then it might work better to hire but like Sachin rightly pointed out if you plan to extend your stay it might be worth carrying a bike but do carry a good one.

Enroute we found a tiny path that was off the main road. Just before this tiny trail there was a much bigger one down the (I forget the name of the pass now) and we were warned not to go down that one as our bikes would not survive (I had a Trek 4300, a much reverred bike). So the smaller mush shorter trail cut down 5 loops. This was the most fun thing we did (crazy and risky so use your discretion). None of this is recommended on a tourer/hybrid.

We traveled in 2010 so the rates will be much higher again like Sachin pointed out.