Lifepaint by volvo

akash mahakode

Mar 27, 2015, 2:09:47 PM3/27/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Ali Poonawala

Mar 28, 2015, 12:44:21 AM3/28/15
to akash mahakode, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
TFS Akash
Brilliant .. pun intended!
Just hope it is " Green" from environment point of view..

On 27 March 2015 at 23:39, akash mahakode <akash.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

boddu vinay

Mar 28, 2015, 1:25:56 AM3/28/15
to Ali Poonawala, akash mahakode, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
VOLVO LAUNCHES LIFE PAINT INITIATIVE TO IMPROVE CYCLIST SAFETY
• Car manufacturer has teamed up with Swedish start-up to produce a
unique safety paint for cyclists
• Product aimed at making cyclists more visible at night in order to
greatly improve road safety
X March 2015
Volvo Car UK has today launched the highly innovative Life Paint, a
product aimed at increasing the visibility and safety of cyclists on
the road. The unique reflective spray is designed to react to a car’s
headlights, alerting drivers to the presence of cyclists in the dark.
Life Paint was conceived by creative agency Grey London and has been
produced in partnership with Swedish start-up Albedo100. It is a
unique reflective safety paint which is invisible by daylight, but in
the dark reflects light in the same direction as the light source,
shining brightly to illuminate the objects it has been sprayed on.
Life Paint is transparent and can be washed off. It can be applied to
bicycles, clothes, shoes, and helmets, pushchairs and children’s
backpacks – even dog leads and collars. Its aim is to make the
invisible visible at night.
Life Paint will be trialled in six London-based cycle shops, where
cyclists can get one of 2000 cans being given away. If LifePaint
proves popular, the project will expand nationally and
internationally.
Adrian Walsh, Director of RoadSafe, a leading forum for promoting and
devising solutions to road safety problems, said: “Driving a car is a
complex and demanding task. In poor light conditions it becomes even
harder, especially in towns and cities where the road is often shared
with cyclists and pedestrians. This innovative technology will
certainly help to make it a safer place and it is really encouraging
to see a manufacturer reaching out to make pedestrians and cyclists
less vulnerable.”
The initiative marks another step by Volvo to promote safety for those
both inside and outside its cars. This builds on the development of
Intellisafe, a state-of-the-art Volvo safety system which integrates
some of the most cutting-edge safety technologies to Volvo cars.
The technology uses a combination of radar sensors and cameras to
identify other vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists and automatically
brake if the driver fails to take the necessary action. This works in
conjunction with Volvo’s Active Bending Headlights, which adjust left
to right according to the steering input to help see round corners
better.
Intellisafe’s unique pedestrian and cyclist detection system, enhanced
to work in darkness on the all-new Volvo XC90 to be introduced to the
UK in June this year, was the inspiration for the Life Paint project.
Together, these innovations contribute towards Volvo’s Vision 2020 –
the concept that that no one should be killed or seriously injured in
a new Volvo by 2020.
Nick Connor, Managing Director at Volvo Car UK, said: “Every year more
than 19,000 cyclists are injured on the UK’s roads. At Volvo, we
believe that the best way to survive a crash is not to crash, and are
committed to making the roads a safer place by reducing the number of
accidents.
“Volvo is a world-leader in safety technology, and we are proud to be
extending our reach beyond just those driving our cars. By making
cyclists increasingly visible as well as increasing the safety
capabilities of our cars, we are doing our utmost to protect everyone
on the road.”
ENDS

For more information about Life Paint, visit www.volvolifepaint.com
Life Paint will be available in the following participating bike shops:
Peloton & co - 4 Market Street, E16DT
Bespoke - 143 Farringdon Road, EC1R
Athlete Lab - 110 Cannon Street, EC4N 6EU
Velo House - 5 Saint John’s Road, Tonbridge Wells, Kent TN4 9GW
Cadence Performance Centre - 2a Anerley Hill, SE19 2AA
Fully Charged - 37 Bermondsey Street, SE1 3JW

Is BOTS planning to import this?
--
B.VINAY

berkeleydb

Mar 28, 2015, 4:31:28 AM3/28/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Good initiative from Volvo, for cyclist safety. Should be especially useful in situations where one is looking at riding in lowlight conditions with temporary gear -- say riding a rented / borrowed bike while visiting some place for few days. For regular riders, at least for the bike, I hope that folks use something more permanent -- like clear reflective tape. And also keep a reflective vest and front/rear lights.

-{db}.

Karthick Gururaj

Mar 28, 2015, 6:21:33 AM3/28/15
to akash mahakode, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Excellent makeup for Halloween! Will make a very realistic ghost.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Apr 3, 2015, 8:57:45 AM4/3/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, karthick...@gmail.com, akash.m...@gmail.com

berkeleydb

Apr 5, 2015, 5:07:35 PM4/5/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Interesting that the article draws the analogy with tobacco.  I was wondering few days back... when the TV channels were reporting on the warning pictures on cigarette packs -- there seems to be general consensus that pics are needed.  Would the folks that support that, also support having similar pics on their own vehicles -- due to the harmful effects of vehicle emissions on health and the environment?  it's easy to be critical of things that one does_not treat as an integral part of one's lifestyle.

-{db}.

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 6:27:45 PM UTC+5:30, kiran wrote:

:-)

Mayank Rungta

Apr 5, 2015, 9:57:05 PM4/5/15
to Berkeleydb, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

I wouldn't. Especially do in bullets that are both noisy and throw fumes directly in the face of the person behind. It should carry a sticker and yes the rider should be aware it is annoying :-)

Prashanth Chengi

Apr 5, 2015, 10:22:09 PM4/5/15
to Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, berkeleydb

What a backward-thinking piece! There's no doubt that 'The bull in the China shop' are the cars, but cars aren't going away in favor of bikes anytime soon! The author lives in some fantasy world which is totally disconnected from our own. And for all that spewed bile, it's not even clear why he says it's the cars that ought to be sprayed! Does he perhaps mean bikers can't spot cars and drive into it? That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. I've seen plenty of bikers riding with woefully inadequate lighting and a product like life paint can tremendously increase safety, but our author goes on to shoot the messenger and kick Volvo in the teeth for a fine measure like this.

/Prashanth

Ali Poonawala

Apr 5, 2015, 11:32:54 PM4/5/15
to Prashanth Chengi, berkeleydb, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

I must say that perspective i did not think from, but it is a valid one Prashanth, and I would desist from ridiculing it.
If analogy can be drawn, rather than accepting crumbs from brits, as most ruled kings did, ousting them was dared by few (1857 sepoys, LM Tilak,Bhagat singh, Netaji SC Bose,Gandhiji etc ), and finally won us independence!
So... Sign the petition !

Prashanth Chengi

Apr 5, 2015, 11:55:57 PM4/5/15
to Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, berkeleydb, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

My point is, how exactly will it lead to additional safety if cars are sprayed with this paint? Are accidents being caused due to bikers riding into cars they cannot see?  No? Then I can't see how this knee-jerk reaction of a petition can be taken seriously. Oh! It's not meant to be taken literally, but it's more of a symbolic protest, like the Boston Tea Party or Dandi March?  Makes even less sense as this is simply a case of shooting the messenger. Volvo is the company which has tried to really do something that'll enhance safety and they get pounced upon for that? Ridiculous!

/Prashanth

/Prashanth

Opendro

Apr 6, 2015, 6:12:28 AM4/6/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
It is very difficult to draw a line between what is good and what is bad specially when everyone has accepted it as a way of life. While I love driving fast (which I do even today), I'm not totally against a blanket ban of cars that can do speeds above 80, which is the default speed limit on any highway in India unless it is specified otherwise. I say, crack at the manufacturing plant itself.

While I enjoy the benefit of good transportation, I wouldn't mind if all the modern and polluting means of transport, such as aeroplanes, buses, trains, trucks, ships, etc. are banned altogether.

While, I would love have whatever I want, I'm also not against a complete ban on working hard, making more money than ones basic needs, or even ban students who score more than necessary to pass the exam, because they create an unhealthy environment of competition and impose an unnecessary inferiority complexion on others. Life shouldn't be complicated after all ;)

And finally, children born naturally beautiful and handsome should be banned, because they get an undue advantage over others for no fault of others :-P

Let me stop here and run before others start looking for me :-P

Prashanth Chengi

Apr 6, 2015, 6:34:21 AM4/6/15
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Bahaha!

Opendro, I'm deeply worried by your post! It goes well with the theme of the love for banning all sorts of things that's sweeping India these days, so it'll be rather hard if somebody in power reads your thoughts and actually decides to implement them :D

/Prashanth

Saurabh Mittal

Apr 21, 2015, 11:52:45 AM4/21/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com