Merida Big Nine 40D- Entry Level MTB

Niraj Sharma

Mar 2, 2018, 10:57:12 AM3/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Guys,

I am planning to start cycling and want to cycle for commuting.
I am planning to buy Merida Big Nine 40D 2018.
But when I checked out the differences between 2017 and 2018 Merida Big Nine 40D 2018,
there are  quite a lot of differences in the parts used. Could anyone suggest on which one variant to pick up ?
And also please suggest any other bike(Better ) in the same price range.
Please find below the details of each cycle below,

Merida Big Nine 40-D 2018,

FRAMEBIG.NINE SPEED
FORKSuntour XCM 100mm travel with lockout
DERAILLEUR FRONTShimano M2000
DERAILLEUR REARShimano Altus
SHIFTERSShimano EF505 27 speed EZ-fire shifters
BRAKE LEVERShimano EF505
BRAKESShimano EF505 hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm centerlock rotors
CHAINWHEELShimano MT100 40-30-22 with chainguard
CHAINKMC M99
HUBSShimano TX505 32 hole quick release with centerlock
RIMMERIDA aluminium, 32 hole for disc brakes
FREEWHEELShimano CS-HG200, 9 speed, 11-32 teeth
TIRESMERIDA K1080 29 * 2.2", wire bead, 30tpi
SPOKESBlack steel
HANDLEBAR STEMMERIDA Speed Oversize clamp 7 degree
HANDLEBARMERIDA Speed Oversize clamp 690mm wide 15mm rise
HEADSETMERIDA 2211
SEAT POSTMERIDA Speed 27.2mm
SADDLEMERIDA Sport comfort
PEDALVP VPE-891
WEIGHT15.20 kg

Merida Big Nine 40-D 2017

FRAMEBIG.NINE SPEED
FORKSR 29 XCM HLO 100
DERAILLEUR FRONTShimano M370
DERAILLEUR REARShimano Altus 9
SHIFTERSShimano Altus rapidfire
BRAKE LEVERTektro M285
BRAKESTektro MA hydraulic 160
CHAINWHEELSR XCM 44-32-22 CG
CHAINGUARDattached
CHAINChain 9S
HUBSAlloy Disc / Alloy Disc cassette
RIMMERIDA BIG.NINE D
FREEWHEELSunrace CS-9S 11-32
TIRESMERIDA 29 2.2
SPOKESstainless silver
HANDLEBAR STEMMERIDA Comp OS 6
HANDLEBARMERIDA comp OS 690 R15
HEADSETEGG steel-B
SEAT POSTMERIDA speed 27.2
SADDLEMERIDA Sport
PEDALXC Alloy
BELLYWS-Alloy
WEIGHT15.60 kg

Sudhir Pai

Mar 3, 2018, 7:03:41 AM3/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
2017 model has Chainwheel SR XCM 44-32-22 CG
2018 model has Chainwheel Shimano MT100 40-30-22

So 2017 will be marginally faster and 2018 will be bit easier on legs (whichever way you want to take it) compared to the other model.

Niraj Sharma

Mar 3, 2018, 7:40:48 AM3/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thank you Sudhir for your feedback. And the rest of the things are fine in 2018 variant ?

Sudhir Pai

Mar 3, 2018, 8:25:41 AM3/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Niraj, I don't see a major deference between the two.
I don't own a Merida bike but understand they are a good brand. I have a MTB with similar specs and enjoy riding it.
So if the budget is OK with you, just select the correct sized one and enjoy your ride.

Niraj Sharma

Mar 3, 2018, 8:28:48 AM3/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Sudhir :) I think I will pick up Merida 2018 variant then :)

Sudhir Pai

Mar 3, 2018, 8:44:01 AM3/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I don't know how you are planning to purchase. I would certainly not recommend buying a cycle online if it is your first one.

Visit a nearby bike shop, try couple of variants and buy from local shops.
Don't hesitate to pay little extra (compared to online price).

Niraj Sharma

Mar 3, 2018, 9:21:34 AM3/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Sudhir,

Thanks for your concern, that means a lot. I am picking up the bike from a store and not buying it online :)

Sudhir Pai

Mar 4, 2018, 4:35:00 AM3/4/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Happy to know you are buying what you liked; pls post pics of your ride!